Mikey's 2012 F1 concept

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
N12ck

Re: Mikey's 2012 F1 concept

Great work mate, loving the front end :D
Budding F1 Engineer

karayaone
karayaone

nice work man, as usual!
Hey mate maybe you can help me in something, I've been watching your diffuser for some time now, and I can really determine the exact position where the diffuser starts to go up (if you understand me xD.. starts to bend upwards). I do not find this in the regulations and It's really really hard to find underbody pics from 2012 season that can allow me to understand it. I don't know if the rear wheel center line is the limit or you can start to bend the diffuser before the RWcenterline.

Any help will be appreciated!!!

ps: oh and model some suspension mate! would be nice to see it!

jordangp

Yes, diffusers start to 'go up' at the rear wheel centre line.

MIKEY_!

jordangp do you think the short outer channels of the diffuser are legal?
Last edited by MIKEY_! on 10 Jun 2012, 04:13, edited 1 time in total.

MIKEY_!

New side crash structure, smaller sidepod inlet, new inlet behind crash structure to make up for that. should mean better quality air for the beam wing.

MIKEY_!

does anyone know of (or could draw up) a graphic representation of what bodywork is legal in the rear brake duct area? I've been over the regulations what seems like a dozen times but i can't make sense of it. If so could you post it here or PM me where to find it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

12cm outwards of the rear tyre i think, thats all i know.
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

MIKEY_!

anyone know how close to the floor you can get?

MIKEY_!

Finally got around to adding exhaust blowing, which has forced a change of cooling exit design. This system doesn't have such a large difference between on-throttle and off-throttle downforce as conventional systems because it doesn't actually seal the diffuser, the brake duct fins (which I'm not sure are legal and will remove them if they are) do that already. What is does do is much the same as the 2010 blown diffusers, adds energy to the underfloor flow. Exhaust passes beneath the floor through the cutout ahead of the diffuser's outer channels. Also there are graphene radiators, its legal as far as I know and its been mentioned a couple of times on this site. There is also a Helmholtz exhaust chamber to smooth the transition between on-throttle, rear biased downforce and off-throttle, front biased downforce.

new front wing pylons on the way as well

AlpineF1
AlpineF1

hey mate :)

is that air drying clay?
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

MIKEY_!

No, it never sets properly, although the consistency changes with temperature.

N12ck

MIKEY_! wrote: Finally got around to adding exhaust blowing, which has forced a change of cooling exit design. This system doesn't have such a large difference between on-throttle and off-throttle downforce as conventional systems because it doesn't actually seal the diffuser, the brake duct fins (which I'm not sure are legal and will remove them if they are) do that already. What is does do is much the same as the 2010 blown diffusers, adds energy to the underfloor flow. Exhaust passes beneath the floor through the cutout ahead of the diffuser's outer channels. Also there are graphene radiators, its legal as far as I know and its been mentioned a couple of times on this site. There is also a Helmholtz exhaust chamber to smooth the transition between on-throttle, rear biased downforce and off-throttle, front biased downforce.

new front wing pylons on the way as well
Can I ask, what wheelbase would your car have, as it looks quite long when looking at the sidepod packaging in comparison
Budding F1 Engineer

MIKEY_!

there are no exact measurements on the car but the wheelbase is similar to the ferrari of last year (maybe a little shorter and I'm not working from perfect data).
just to explain...
There are a few reasons it looks quite long: the nose is short so very little of the wheelbase is forward of the driver, also sidepods are at more or less full height along their whole length and they are very wide. The sidepods are quite bulky at the front and the radiators are angled in two axis rather than one. TBH the sidepods are probably a bit optimistically sized, I might add a rear mounted radiator like i had earlier in the year and the graphene radiators help in keeping size down. another important part is that the sidepod intakes get cleaner air than normal due to the snow plough.

PS do you think the gearbox is too large?

RicME85

To me the exhaust/rear of the sidepod seems a long way from the rear of the car, even the rear wheel center line

N12ck

MIKEY_! wrote:there are no exact measurements on the car but the wheelbase is similar to the ferrari of last year (maybe a little shorter and I'm not working from perfect data).
just to explain...
There are a few reasons it looks quite long: the nose is short so very little of the wheelbase is forward of the driver, also sidepods are at more or less full height along their whole length and they are very wide. The sidepods are quite bulky at the front and the radiators are angled in two axis rather than one. TBH the sidepods are probably a bit optimistically sized, I might add a rear mounted radiator like i had earlier in the year and the graphene radiators help in keeping size down. another important part is that the sidepod intakes get cleaner air than normal due to the snow plough.

PS do you think the gearbox is too large?
I don't think the gearbox is too large, the model looks better every day,
Budding F1 Engineer