Cottrell's F1 Car [Model]

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CottrellGP

Re: Cottrell's F1 Car [Model]

RicME85 wrote:Interesting new nose :)
I think Dom means the front wing endplates, they look very ... different
Thee nose is a couple of races old, but thanks for the amazing feedback guys :)
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

CottrellGP

MIKEY_! wrote:looks like one small (half height) slot taking air under the wing, then a full height one like most outwash wings. nothing revolutionary, just a different take on the same old design me thinks. wouldn't be my choice for better performance however, the slots look too large particularly the rear one, interesting all the same.
Your right Mikey old design but i have taken some new endplates into consideration and used them on this design. :o
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

MIKEY_!

why did you move away from the endplateless design?

CottrellGP

MIKEY_! wrote:why did you move away from the endplateless design?
Fancied a bit of innovation/change on the end plate and behind the front wing.
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

N12ck

Sometimes it can be good to back to basics with the design, sometimes designs get that complex you loose track of what is improving what, and you may get more downforce just out of a simple endplated wing design, especially considering we do not have the resources teams have
Budding F1 Engineer

CottrellGP

N12ck wrote:Sometimes it can be good to back to basics with the design, sometimes designs get that complex you loose track of what is improving what, and you may get more downforce just out of a simple endplated wing design, especially considering we do not have the resources teams have
Your deffo right Nick, i just weren't happy with it so i done a much simpler front wing.
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

N12ck

run CFD on it compared to the old wing using solidworks or something, :D
Budding F1 Engineer

CottrellGP

[quote="N12ck"]run CFD on it compared to the old wing using solidworks or something, :D

Good thinking :), i used the autocad falcon one and there airflow looks better on this. :D
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

N12ck

CottrellGP wrote:
N12ck wrote:run CFD on it compared to the old wing using solidworks or something, :D

Good thinking :), i used the autocad falcon one and there airflow looks better on this. :D
I have been trying to check how good Autodesk Falcon is in comparison to Openfoam, and its figures aren't massively far away from proper CFD figures, although they dont produce Df figures, which is where Openfoam is king :D
Budding F1 Engineer

CottrellGP

N12ck wrote:
CottrellGP wrote:
N12ck wrote:run CFD on it compared to the old wing using solidworks or something, :D

I have been trying to check how good Autodesk Falcon is in comparison to Openfoam, and its figures aren't massively far away from proper CFD figures, although they dont produce Df figures, which is where Openfoam is king :D
Ahh right i may have a look at that!
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

N12ck

Have a look at openfoam? or Falcon?
Budding F1 Engineer

CottrellGP

The comparison beetween soildworks and falcon :lol:
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

CottrellGP

A very very quick idea on how my car will look at the next race! But alot better

Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

wesley123

No way that floor is legal iic bodywork can be seen through the hole
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

CottrellGP

wesley123 wrote:No way that floor is legal iic bodywork can be seen through the hole
You dont see bodywork, the little black piece is the other side of the opening, and its gone now anyway :D
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!