Cottrell's F1 Car [Model]

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CottrellGP

Re: Cottrell's F1 Car [Model]

New exhaust solution, please tell me what you think!

Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

RicME85

Looks nice but dont you want to incorporate an RB style tunnel to keep the coke bottle effect?

wesley123

I think you're going to have little problems with the flow keeping attached to the ramp. The ramp has an quite obvious kink compared to the sauber solution for example having a more constant ramp
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

CottrellGP

RicME85 wrote:Looks nice but dont you want to incorporate an RB style tunnel to keep the coke bottle effect?
Ive been trying for the last week or so this is about my 5th version, i probs will run my previous exhaust at Hugary if i dont get this done, thanks for the feedback buddy
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

CottrellGP

wesley123 wrote:I think you're going to have little problems with the flow keeping attached to the ramp. The ramp has an quite obvious kink compared to the sauber solution for example having a more constant ramp
My sidepods are quiet high so this newer version i have the exhaust sits very low in the middle of the ramp also i have angle the end of the ramp, thanks for feedback! :)
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

RicME85

CottrellGP wrote:
wesley123 wrote:I think you're going to have little problems with the flow keeping attached to the ramp. The ramp has an quite obvious kink compared to the sauber solution for example having a more constant ramp
My sidepods are quiet high so this newer version i have the exhaust sits very low in the middle of the ramp also i have angle the end of the ramp, thanks for feedback! :)
I've been in the same position recently working on that area of the car, there are so many shapes to consider it gets a bit mind boggling.

CottrellGP

RicME85 wrote:
CottrellGP wrote:
I've been in the same position recently working on that area of the car, there are so many shapes to consider it gets a bit mind boggling.
I totally agree with you there, especially with this stupid exhaust reg, its so hard to try and get the exhaust in the right position and to get the body work around it to be right! :lol:
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

CottrellGP

Thought id put some images up of my latest car, the car has gone through a lot of different development programs and evolutions and this is what im happy with im open to criticism and feedback.

Top view, as you can see it alot different to my older A spec car

Sidepods with exhaust

Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

MIKEY_!

very clean and well finished design mate well done! a few things: what is the intake above the airbox for and why does it appear so boxy as it rejoins the airbox (this could be shadows/perspective etc playing games with me)? Why not use the full chord available for the front wing? what is the bodywork sticking out from under the front wing, kind of like a vane but they are usually smoother in shape?

CottrellGP

MIKEY_! wrote:very clean and well finished design mate well done! a few things: what is the intake above the airbox for and why does it appear so boxy as it rejoins the airbox (this could be shadows/perspective etc playing games with me)? Why not use the full chord available for the front wing? what is the bodywork sticking out from under the front wing, kind of like a vane but they are usually smoother in shape?
Thanks for the feedback, the air intake above the intake was for my DDRS but ive scrapped that and going to integrate it into the air box, ive got some small updates for Singapore so i will have a new front wing and the thing under the nose is a snow plough like McLaren idea. :) Ohh and about the front and rear wing its my medium DF package thats why they are small
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

Monster_Energy_F1

I've always admired Dan's ability to make his car so smooth, and once again........ :D

Can you explain the Endplate please? Why does it have a roof?

variante

Great car! It's one of my favourite, however i prefer the penultimate version you showed us: the exhausts and the surroundings simply looked better designed. Perhaps you should just refine a bit your latest coke bottle area (and make it "more" legal) :)
Monster_Energy_F1 wrote:Can you explain the Endplate please? Why does it have a roof?
I think that's because the guy wants to reduce turbulences generated by the endplate and have a better control of the airflow. Doing so, however, he sacrifices downforce.

Cuky

I like your design. It is nice and clean.

Only thing that is wrong in my opinion is that your mirrors are too far front

CottrellGP

variante wrote:Great car! It's one of my favourite, however i prefer the penultimate version you showed us: the exhausts and the surroundings simply looked better designed. Perhaps you should just refine a bit your latest coke bottle area (and make it "more" legal) :)
Monster_Energy_F1 wrote:Can you explain the Endplate please? Why does it have a roof?
I think that's because the guy wants to reduce turbulences generated by the endplate and have a better control of the airflow. Doing so, however, he sacrifices downforce.
He has done a perfect explanation dom :)
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

CottrellGP

Cuky wrote:I like your design. It is nice and clean.

Only thing that is wrong in my opinion is that your mirrors are too far front
Thanks for the feedback, and i know they are ive not bothered developing them this year and i dont really know the regs for them :(
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!