Cottrell's F1 Car [Model]

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
astracrazy

Re: Cottrell's F1 Car [Model]

14.3 Rear view mirrors:
14.3.2 The reflective surface of each mirror must be at least 150mm wide, this being maintained over a height of at least 50mm. Additionally, each corner may have a radius no greater than 10mm.
14.3.3 All parts of the rear view mirrors, including their housings and mountings, must be situated between 250mm and 500mm from the car centre line and between 550mm and 750mm from the rear edge of the cockpit entry template.

CottrellGP

astracrazy wrote:
14.3 Rear view mirrors:
14.3.2 The reflective surface of each mirror must be at least 150mm wide, this being maintained over a height of at least 50mm. Additionally, each corner may have a radius no greater than 10mm.
14.3.3 All parts of the rear view mirrors, including their housings and mountings, must be situated between 250mm and 500mm from the car centre line and between 550mm and 750mm from the rear edge of the cockpit entry template.
Thanks alot :)
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

MIKEY_!

what are these?

they look like vanes to me but much boxier than normal

wesley123

those are turning vanes, bak in 2009 BMW Sauber did the same
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

CottrellGP

wesley123 wrote:those are turning vanes, bak in 2009 BMW Sauber did the same
And there used on alot of the car this year.
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

MIKEY_!

most turning vanes are curved, why have you gone for these square ended ones?

CottrellGP

MIKEY_! wrote:most turning vanes are curved, why have you gone for these square ended ones?
Yes, most.
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

MIKEY_!

have you got a picture of one of these square ended vanes on a car? they look like they would cause some aero problems for sure

allstaruk08

wesley123

MIKEY_! wrote:have you got a picture of one of these square ended vanes on a car? they look like they would cause some aero problems for sure
Why would that be the case?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

jordangp

I presume they are acting somewhat like gurneys? Or trying to reduce drag?

CottrellGP

The picture doesn't give justice as they have a lot more curvature than i the pic
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

MIKEY_!

thanks cottrell that's interesting, gurney's could be the answer (although i cant see how they would be better than a curve in this circumstance) maybe the idea is to create a low pressure behind the vane thus reducing drag caused by the tire.
I'd expect these to disrupt smooth airflow between the vane and the endplate, block airflow and reduce downforce, would be nice to see them in cfd

CottrellGP

MIKEY_! wrote:thanks cottrell that's interesting, gurney's could be the answer (although i cant see how they would be better than a curve in this circumstance) maybe the idea is to create a low pressure behind the vane thus reducing drag caused by the tire.
I'd expect these to disrupt smooth airflow between the vane and the endplate, block airflow and reduce downforce, would be nice to see them in cfd
Well im planing/drawing a major aero package evolution upgrade ready for the KV race soon, so hopefully those veins will be gone :lol:
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

MIKEY_!

i look forward to it as always mate