My F1 simulator McLaren MP4-23 project - Repozess

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
repozess

Re: My F1 simulator McLaren MP4-23 project - Repozess

ajdavison2 wrote:Well I can get pictures of all of that stuff on my model at least, not sure how the real thing is, eventually I'll have all of the internals that you see when a nose is removed.
Thxs for sharing...i patiently wait... :)
FYI the company that manufactures the MP4-23 Model, has collaborated with McLaren in making it...(from a reliable source)...it is the real thing !
Repozess

repozess

I finished all the buttons and switches...starting to come to life...now moving on to the rear and the handles...shift paddles etc...

Repozess

repozess

Finally finished the Enkei wheels had to sketch the logo from scratch as i wasn't satisfied with just adding decals...final result...a cleaner look !

Repozess

repozess

Update....still work in progress on the finishing touches on the steering assembly, redesigned it to mimic the actual look and feel of the original one...my goal is to design it as accurately as possible, to then make actual parts from it...added gear shift paddles, push buttons ,rotary encoders and endless little design tweaks...i believe i'm heading in the right direction...few pics of my progress to date...now the handles !!!

Repozess

repozess

another view from top....i used the official FIA cockpit entry templates for accuracy...i must say im satisfied with the dimensions and result so far..

Repozess

repozess

and finally a view from the rear

Repozess

N12ck

Nice work! looking good!
Budding F1 Engineer

repozess

N12ck wrote:Nice work! looking good!
Thxs mate :)
Repozess

repozess

Finally, had time to work on the finishing touches for the steering wheel...not entirely done though...maybe 90% complete...added the grip handles (which need some more work as i'm not entirely satisfied with them)...added some textures and colors to bring it to life :)

For now, i'll leave it has is to work on a later date

I wanted to do the steering column mechanism and pedals but it wouldn't make sense. I'm tackling next what i consider the core of my whole project...the chassis and underbody together, before i can model anything else...

Here are some rendered images thus far...looks decent now with color !

Repozess

MadMatt

Amazing ! But its gonna take you forever to complete the rest of the car ! :shock:

repozess

MadMatt wrote:Amazing ! But its gonna take you forever to complete the rest of the car ! :shock:
lol...forever is a long time :) I know it may seem like a huge task which it is don't get me wrong but i'm commited and dedicated to make this happen...it is in my DNA you see...how long ? i can't tell you really...i know i'm putting lots of hours daily modeling...at least 4 minimum...i know exactly what i'm doing in terms of scheduling and which area will require the most work (underbody and cockpit)....prioritizing is the key !

I did the steering wheel in two weeks...

At this rate three months maximum is the goal for the cockpit and underbody to be completed (not unreasonable) since my references are only pictures and couple blueprints and my imagination...the rest should be pretty straightforward !

thx for the interest :)
Repozess

MadMatt

If it took you 2 weeks then its good yes, because you started posting pictures of it few months ago so I was scared that because of that, forgive me ! It looks well and planned so I wish you good luck, keep posting pictures, it looks really great, I wish I had time and skill to do this ! I can just make CAD models but not with textures and so on ! :oops:

Which software are you using btw ? And you are talking about a simulator, but do you have an idea of what you want to achieve ? At the moment I am making also some kind of simulator for my school but a simulator that you cannot "live control". I am still wondering how the codes behind the models of the video games looks like, because the hardware can process all calculations live, while it takes maybe 1 minute for 1 second of simulation in my model :P

Good luck ! :)

repozess

Thx for the feedback...cool to know my work is appreciated !

You say you wish you had time...i can assure you...i have none myself....but i make time for this project...i chose to sacrifice my social life and any other distractions that may come in conflict with my schedule...Its just good time management (that's all)
If there's a will...there's a way...make sense ? :)

If you want to develop your skills...just take the time to learn your Software inside and Out (how it works...what it can or cannot do..its limits..etc...that's what i did when i was in school (learning CAD and i still do today...daily !)

Which cad application are you using ?
Are you learning CAD in School ?

I'm using four different ones:

My main one is Solidworks which is primarily for all my mechanical and certain body parts that don't require complex surfacing work...90% of my modeling will be with it...

I need Class A surfacing capabilities for manufacturing purposes...since Solidworks is limited on that regard... i'll use either
Catia or Rhino3D for the more complex shapes like engine cover, side cowls,front wing....

For renderings i use Keyshot which in my professional opinion is the best rendering application on the market right now...i used VRAY and 3DS MAX for a long time (which are excellent...but the learning curve is quite long) once i started with keyshot...i never looked back (so much easier and simpler to work with).

I want to achieve this...and i will...a picture is worth 1000 words !!!

Can you show me your work if you have pics of your sim project ?....i assume you want to design a console type simulator for video games..correct ?
As for codes like you mentionned ..i have no clue how it works, that's why i have a electrical engineer and a software programmer as associates able to figure that out for me...my brain can only do so much :)

I will keep posting my progress
Cheers !
Repozess

MadMatt

Well at the moment I'm doing my thesis so really I have no time, as I'm spending 70 hours per week on it ! But you are right that it is always possible to take some time when the situation is less stressful than this one to learn things rather than playing ! Although I find it difficult to stay behind my computer 15 hours per day (my eyes do not like this and my legs neither). :P

I've tried Solidworks but the lessons I had were on Catia V5 so I kind of know how to use the CAD part of it, also FEM and SimDesigner. But I have never tried rendering (3Dsmax or anything) which is a shame because you can spend hours and hours on 3D parts, if you don't know how to make them beautiful, you'll always end up with some LEGO-looking like parts. :P

My sim project does not contain 3D or anything, its just a user interface that I made, so it is possible to enter data for the model which has to predict the fuel consumption of the car my school has developed for the Eco Shell Marathon. Of course all the physic model behind it have been made by myself too, and I have spent about 500 hours on this yet I think. I still have 2 more weeks to go but 15 hours per day on Matlab/Simulink destroys your brain I tell you :P

So there you have a picture of a tab of the user interface (this one is about car and transmission). Very simple, nothing car-related, and all what it does simulate cannot be seen. You only get the results. 3D graphics could be a nice add but I'll let this to a designer ! :D

Cheers ! :)

repozess

I know exactly what you mean regarding the time issue...i can relate...if you spend 70 hours a week on a thesis...well, you have my respect =D>

Here's a tip that i do...when i feel my eyes are going to shut down or if i'm mentally exhausted ..because it does happen as you are fully aware when one is concentrating too long for long periods of time...I shut everything down and take a break bout 30-45 min...i listen to classical music (or any of your choice ) just to recharge my batteries and clear my head..I assure you once i started to do that...you become more effective !

I actually do my best work once i've done that...
Are you proficient using Catia ? i just started to learn it myself last year ! i have and use version V6 2009 !

You are right about spending countless hours on rendering especially using 3DS max/Vray..it is time consuming especially when you don't know what you are doing...Take a look at Keyshot when you have time...you will thank me...

The last 4 rendered images i posted of the steering wheel are with Keyshot...i did try with 3D MAX/Vray and just you know it took me bout 4 hours of fine tuning and testing and rendering time included to try to obtain the results you see...with Keyshot it took me 30 minutes only...And i know those applications very well !

I'm impressed with your interface...i think is is very good work...you are skilled indeed...pls keep it up :)
You have giving me some ideas by just looking at your work...Matlab/Simulink...Oh boy...i couldn't do what you do ! again respect :)

So you could design user interfaces for let's say the many different setups required in an f1 car ?? ..specifically in a simulation package ???

Cheers !
Repozess