My F1 simulator McLaren MP4-23 project - Repozess

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
repozess

Re: My F1 simulator McLaren MP4-23 project - Repozess

While i'm still tackling the under body as we speak, i decided to finish adding details to my tires n rims...so that part is out of the way for good !! I'm happy as i think it looks pretty decent and realistic now with the right textures and lighting setup !!

Repozess

repozess

Well....after a well deserved break, as my brain needed some "R&R"
I started work on the steering column assembly...i know i mentioned previously, i would only focus on the underlay and cockpit sections, but in order to have a sense of the correct size and proportion for the overall cockpit dimensions and scale, it was important (for me)...visually...to start ''fiddling'' with it...so i did !

Not perfect obviously...still little tweaks to be made !
I will post soon the complete assembly of the steering wheel (which i'm making little design changes) and the column !

Repozess

techF1LES

Great work Rudy! Amazing level of detail - especially on the steering wheel. Any news about progress in modelling?

repozess

techF1LES wrote:Great work Rudy! Amazing level of detail - especially on the steering wheel. Any news about progress in modelling?

Thanks , I've been getting back to modeling after awhile and things are slowly back on track with my project...i will start posting new stuff in the near future..

Cheers !
Repozess

remydio

Hi Repozess,

Looking forward to build an F1 base-chassis (only the cockpit) for my simulations (iracing, netkarpro, rfactor1and2, asseto corsa...), i just found your project and i'm trully amazed by what i see.
I'll keep an eye on your project !

ps: Are you modelling with Solidworks ?

repozess

Thx for the compliment Remydio...

I'm interested as well in seing your project and progress...sounds cool...

Yes, I'm using Solidworks...Which are u using ?
Repozess

remydio

Working with sd 2013 as well.
For now, i'm trying to collect infos , focused on pedal system, cockpit size (found on fia docs) and a nice detailled real survivl cell to copy :p

i'm planning to build my own force feed back steering wheel (yours is spectacular ...:p) with nearly same specs as those found in f1 teams and my own pedal system with a load cell to simulate pressure.
Most braking system in basical simulators are pedal-travel based instead of pressure based if that makes sense.

ps:your username reminds me something but ... are you an online simracer ?

repozess

You seem to know what you're doing :) are u using the FIA 2011 technical regulations PDF ? (they have what you are seeking for your cockpit template).

If i may give you some advice...start with what will be your foundation (or reference) item...and only focus on that til your happy with the result...then build from there...in your case the survivor cell or cockpit is where to begin...it will be faster an easier to add all the other components and actually making them fit...i made that mistake and now i'm doing things the right way...

That's why i'm redesigning my steering wheel, improving the ergonomics and changing a few things...wasn't happy with it...i did make a solid model from it using Laser Sinthering....didn't feel right...it got stolen b4 i could take any pics to post...no "biggy"

As for your force feedback braking system n steering wheel ....you are correct...most of what's out there use a cheap spring loaded travel base method with a bad design and make false claims to be the best...Not the way of doing things...but that's just my opinion...i'm using a hydraulic system on my Sim,(suspension, steering and braking) simply because from previous experience i found it to be the most accurate and "tweakable" method of simulating feel (i'm very picky about that stuff) and not so expensive nor complicated to do... if u do your homework !!!

There are a lot of info regarding how to build home made hydraulic systems...u"ll be surprised how not so difficult it can be :)

Hope this helps...and NO....i"ve never raced online...i'm planning on it though !!!
Repozess

Very impressive work

Ive been trying for a long time (3 years?) to get accurate dimensions for an MP4-22 steering wheel, which is fairly similar to the mp4-26 one so im happy to see someone else trying to build one too! I even did some quite unimpressive solid works models, not quite up to your standard I must admit. Question though, why did you go for a mp4-26 wheel over the mp4-23 wheel? How did you derive the dimensions for it? also the detailing on the back which I find to be the tricky part, what references were you using for it might I ask? Ive been mainly working from the ones on the amalgam models site (if only I had a £1200...)

Great work on it so far. I too hope to build a f1 cockpit in time, but im focusing on the wheel for now. Yours has spurred me to go get a move on with it again!

remydio

I'm plannning to buy one of those 1/4 scaled wheels, 60 pounds and i think you can get many valuable infos and derivatives from them.

May be some help for proportions Repo :

http://www.mclarenelectronics.com/Produ ... uct/PCU-6D

repozess

Thx 0100100 : interesting username :)

3 years is a long time wouldn't you say...I chose the mp4-26 simply because i like its ergonomics, and overall look much better then the mp4-23...

Ahhh...dimensions you ask...i used my imagination and over 100 pictures of just that steering wheel both in the cockpit and standing alone...from all sorts of angles... i also used a 1:1 scale Mclaren Mp4-23 image; super-imposed it on a real FIA Template (Top and Side view as a reference to model my wheel and from there came my dimensions)...hope that makes sense to you :-) I'll post a pic of it for you to better understand...

FYI: The Amalgam Models are the ones i used mostly....so your on the right track...your scale is the key when you model... to have accurate dimensions...

Show me some of your work if you can...it's always cool to see what others are doing...

It costs 1200 and up on Amalgam yes...but if you make it yourself your looking at no more then $500 where i'm from to send it to a 3D printer...much cheaper u agree ?

My wheel is not done as i mentioned previously...major design changes on it......

I'm glad i gave you some spark to continue

Cheers !
Repozess

repozess

remydio wrote:I'm plannning to buy one of those 1/4 scaled wheels, 60 pounds and i think you can get many valuable infos and derivatives from them.

May be some help for proportions Repo :

http://www.mclarenelectronics.com/Produ ... uct/PCU-6D

Hey ! Remydio

Thx for the feedback but i have that already...i replicated it to make my unit...if u see the resemblance !
Repozess

repozess

This is what i meant by using a scaled 1:1 template for my Steering Wheel.
Repozess

Have you had any progress on this? Would love to see how you got on

repozess

yes i have made progress...i have been occupied with other stuff...but i am working on it...im working on the cockpit..i will post when its ready...thx for your interest !
Repozess