What is Formula Sketch?

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Monster_Energy_F1

What is Formula Sketch?

Hi,

As a team within Formula Sketch I have come across many people asking what Formula Sketch is. Especially on F1T. So just to stop people like JordanGP being bombarded with questions here is a brief explanation of what Formula Sketch is.

You design your OWN F1 car using any form of 3D CAD. The cars must be highly detailed with accurate airfoils ect. They are then submitted to the Formula Sketch scrutineers who simulate the cars using high-end equipment. (nobody knows exactly what ;) )
The results are then posted and then most teams will do updates depending on how WELL they did. Here is a link to their site: http://www.formulasketch.co.uk

Entry is free, but you should IDEALLY have good knowledge on F1 to create a detailed and competitive F1 car.
I hope this answers ALL of your questions, but link this to your signature so everyone who is interested can see this.

Thanks,

N12ck

Re: What is Formula Sketch?

I didn't feel a thread was necessary, but good description apart from one part,

saying they simulate the cars using high end equipment is a bit of an exaggeration,

Nick :D
Budding F1 Engineer

Monster_Energy_F1

I thought you would need one just in case. It gets annoying after a while when so many people KEEP asking questions.

Plus Nick, I'm trying to make FS sound good :lol:

N12ck

Monster_Energy_F1 wrote:I thought you would need one just in case. It gets annoying after a while when so many people KEEP asking questions.

Plus Nick, I'm trying to make FS sound good :lol:
Fair enough, :lol: :)

Nick
Budding F1 Engineer

MIKEY_!

Does formula sketch supply you with the regulation bounding boxes in CAD format when you start? If not, suggest this immediately as it would widen the appeal of the game and reduce the amount of under/over sized bodywork in the competition.

Richard

Thanks for starting this, I was wondering about how it worked.

What factors are included in the simulation? Is it just aero or does mech also have a part to play?

machin

I get the impression from reading the various threads that "visual assessment" is how the relative performance is determined? or maybe I'm wrong?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

RicME85

The FS team are a secret society who do not share how the races are run or the exact methods of judging performance.
MIKEY_! wrote:Does formula sketch supply you with the regulation bounding boxes in CAD format when you start? If not, suggest this immediately as it would widen the appeal of the game and reduce the amount of under/over sized bodywork in the competition.
Yes they do.

Monster_Energy_F1

As I understand we do get Regulation Boxes. The races are simulated, and they have a database telling them how good each driver is; e.g Sebastian Vettel 7.7. They then get simulated with tyre wear and accidents ect.

As for scrutineering they get visualised to see if they are legal, and then they run some kind of performance analysis. :?:

It's rather complicated...

N12ck

Monster_Energy_F1 wrote:As I understand we do get Regulation Boxes. The races are simulated, and they have a database telling them how good each driver is; e.g Sebastian Vettel 7.7. They then get simulated with tyre wear and accidents ect.

As for scrutineering they get visualised to see if they are legal, and then they run some kind of performance analysis. :?:

It's rather complicated...
as for scrutineering, they have let illegal cars race several times, they don't run any sort of credible performance analysis, as was proven when they said that their methods are more accurate than CFD,
Budding F1 Engineer

wesley123

N12ck wrote: as for scrutineering, they have let illegal cars race several times, they don't run any sort of credible performance analysis, as was proven when they said that their methods are more accurate than CFD,
No they never said that.

You think they said that because you were mad when you ran such great CFD analysis on your car and you were further back on the grid as usual. Things like that happen more than often.

Just like you say this and that your CFD was so great, but in my topic you complain about the mesh. You seriously think the same isnt the case on your car?

Or this; you complained on RicME's car about how small his sidepods are, never would get adequate cooling etc. etc. and that while your sidepods are by fat the smallest and cant even properly fit electronics etc. When confronted on that, you say 'well if he wants to go for realism bla bla bla'.

Seriously this is by far the most annoying thing of the whole FSketch idea, these crybabies who cant stand when they think they made such a genius part but when looked at another things it isnt the case. It is just a goddamn game, you seriously act like you win a million dollars with it or something
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Monster_Energy_F1

Amen.

Monster_Energy_F1

Me too; wonder whether you beat me :D Your my main rival now mate ;)

N12ck

wesley123 wrote:
N12ck wrote: as for scrutineering, they have let illegal cars race several times, they don't run any sort of credible performance analysis, as was proven when they said that their methods are more accurate than CFD,
No they never said that.

You think they said that because you were mad when you ran such great CFD analysis on your car and you were further back on the grid as usual. Things like that happen more than often.

Just like you say this and that your CFD was so great, but in my topic you complain about the mesh. You seriously think the same isnt the case on your car?

Or this; you complained on RicME's car about how small his sidepods are, never would get adequate cooling etc. etc. and that while your sidepods are by fat the smallest and cant even properly fit electronics etc. When confronted on that, you say 'well if he wants to go for realism bla bla bla'.

Seriously this is by far the most annoying thing of the whole FSketch idea, these crybabies who cant stand when they think they made such a genius part but when looked at another things it isnt the case. It is just a goddamn game, you seriously act like you win a million dollars with it or something
Hi,
I ran openfoam Cfd, I had made massive improvements according to openfoam, I didn't complain about your car being fasitized I just commented the amount of polygons used would have to be dramatically increased for a decent Cfd analysis, it is a game yes, however It is better people know that it is not realistic in any way before entering, my side pods were small but the championship didn't tell me to change them, just like they allowed illegal cars to race, If I couldn't get a good enough Cfd result due to fasitization as you pointed out, how are their results any better than mine? I think it's better we all accept the whole thing is unrealistic , not run properly and yes my cars side pods were overly small I accepted that,

however I think everyone entering it needs to know, the results are not realistic in any way what so ever, and CFD development will not make a difference to the 'judges' opinions/ result whatsoever, and I think that we can put this to bed now, :D

Nick
Budding F1 Engineer