How do I join the electronics on steering to car

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
srikanth977

How do I join the electronics on steering to car

Hi all,
My question may be a silly one but please i am very confused.
We are designing a race car for a formula student competition.

We have designed the steering wheel and planning to manufacture. before that we would like to confirm how these electronics would be connected to the main wiring?

We first thought of joining by an external connector. But in the competition, there is an event called egress test of the driver in which the driver has to get out of the car within 5 seconds.

During this test, he detaches the steering wheel.

iS THERE ANY CONNECTOR AVAILABLE OR ANY OTHER SOLUTION. pLEASE HELP ME URGENTLY.

MIKEY_!

Re: How do I join the electronics on steering to car

I'll assume the wheel can be pulled straight off (no twisting during removal). Mount ordinary plugs to the back of the wheel and on the hub/steering column. When the wheel is in place they will connect fine but when you remove the wheel they will offer little resistance. Remember, have the cables leading from the hub to the chassis long enough so the wheel can turn to full lock without pulling them tight. Does that answer the question?

DaveKillens

This is the 8 pin connector, there are other models.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group ... STEERQDSPA
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

CHsteel

You also could run a coiled cable (think like on a wired telephone) from your steering wheel to wherever you need to attach it to. The wheel doesn't need to move a great distance during egress anyway.