LB02 - Astracrazy

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
astracrazy
astracrazy

LB02 - Astracrazy

So after learning sketchup etc with LB1, now planning for next year.

First tests (first ever cfd test i've done) on RW1

Drag 551N Downforce 1188N

As this is the first test ive done what sort of things should i look for to improve the wing?
Last edited by astracrazy on 16 Jul 2012, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

MadMatt
MadMatt

Re: LB02 - Astracrazy

I would say that testing the wing alone is not a correct way to do things. As you probably know, the rear wing is located at the back of a F1 car. Therefore the air has to go first through the whole car before reaching the rear wing. So the air flow is not what your second pictures shows : straight. I would say that before you start simulating, you should first make the whole car ! :)

I have no opinion on your first rear-wing but it looks to produce quite a lot of downforce judging by the angle it has. Only my 2 cents, but really you should first make the whole car !

RicME85

What did you use for CFD?

astracrazy
astracrazy

Matt - your 100% right :) . Mainly i'm doing it because learning to use solidworks was a lot easier just on a rear wing. Ideally i'd create the whole car 1st then test the rear wing, but i'm not sure that my computer could handle that all together. I'll obviously try to add bits to the simulation to see what happens.

Ricme - solidworks, took all sunday (today) to work it all out (finding different tutorial etc) i can write some quick instructions for you? It is quiet simple once you know.

As i said, Matts right, but in terms of just the rear wing (or any other simulation) what should i look for to make improvements? Using the rear wing as an example. New to reading into cfd results :)

Thanks

N12ck

astracrazy wrote:Matt - your 100% right :) . Mainly i'm doing it because learning to use solidworks was a lot easier just on a rear wing. Ideally i'd create the whole car 1st then test the rear wing, but i'm not sure that my computer could handle that all together. I'll obviously try to add bits to the simulation to see what happens.

Ricme - solidworks, took all sunday (today) to work it all out (finding different tutorial etc) i can write some quick instructions for you? It is quiet simple once you know.

As i said, Matts right, but in terms of just the rear wing (or any other simulation) what should i look for to make improvements? Using the rear wing as an example. New to reading into cfd results :)

Thanks
when I look into cfd results it depends on what you are looking for, low drag, high downforce

or what I look for is to develop by lowering drag and increasing downforce, on each wing design, (and yes this can be done)
:D

yes there is a full car in front of it, but if you are purely developing the rear wing and learning about wing design, then running it solely on its own isn't any harm, as it can teach you what works to increase df and reduce drag,

however it doesn't mean that that rear wing will work the way you intend with your car you are designing without CFD on the whole vehicle :D
Budding F1 Engineer

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

Please PM me!
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

N12ck

CottrellGP wrote:Please PM me!
me or him or both :lol:
Budding F1 Engineer

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

Him :P
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

astracrazy
astracrazy

Heres a little update to the rear wing (RW1-1), can anybody give me any tips where i can find improvement by reducing drag from the below pics. I have made some small improvements so far

rw1 drag 551N downforce 1188N
rw1-1 drag 532N downforce 1206N

N12ck

can I see your cutouts on the rear wing endplates, I may be able to give some advice on them :D
Budding F1 Engineer

astracrazy
astracrazy

here you go

N12ck

astracrazy wrote:here you go
Aerodynamically they will do nothing but cause drag, take a look at f1 wings currently, the slots arent just cutouts, they are louvres, they are meant to reduce the surface drag of the endplate :D
Budding F1 Engineer

jordangp

I have always found rear wing louvres the most difficult things to design. Never designed any I would consider 'good'. Note that most of my designs don't have them because I can't design them well enough to be beneficial.

RicME85

Completely agree, they are an ass to design.

krisfx
krisfx

I've been scouring the internet for a tutorial on designing even something remotely close to those louvres and have drawn a blank! It'd be good if we had an F1technical member that knew how to do it and could do a tut!