LMP1 (kind of) - allstaruk08

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
N12ck

Re: LMP1 (kind of) - allstaruk08

allstaruk08 wrote:yeah... and the slot i have is the same principle but ducting from out wide (in effect widening the diffuser thats how i was thinking it would work maybe i got it wrong). im just asking if it would work or not :)
it would work, but I don't see any major advantage to having it, you could very easily just put wheel fairings infront of the wheel and focus on making the normal diffuser more efficient, its not legal for LMP1 though,
Budding F1 Engineer

allstaruk08

wheel fairings?

N12ck

allstaruk08 wrote:wheel fairings?
noooo...
double diffusers arent legal for LMP1
Budding F1 Engineer

allstaruk08

i know, neither is the front end of the car i drew thats why i said (kind of) in the title lol

allstaruk08

So heres the floor where the monocoque will sit. i'v cut out the holes for the ducts to feed the upper section of the diffuser. The chopped out section at the bottom is where the diffuser will start. I rushed the last cardboard build I did (the F1 car i designed for this season) and it didn't come out so well so I figured i'd take my time with this and do a little bit at a time :)

More pictures tomorrow of the diffuser and ducts finished hopefully.

skgoa

Why did you decide to not have a front diffusor? And why do you still have the air vents behind the front wheels, when there should be no air for them to vent? And why are you working on a double diffusor at the rear, when simply changing the direction of the turning vanes in the rear diffusor would give a massive boost in performance + much lower drag?
I'm not trying to be mean - and let me say that your car looks incredibly cool - but I would like to hear the rationale behind those decissions.

allstaruk08

The front diffuser is a separate piece that I havnt made yet I'll have to put the drawing up of the separate parts (floor and front diffuser, monocoque, side pods, front and rear fenders and the bodywork in between the rest of everything) I don't know which part you mean by air vents behind the front wheel (i'v added way too many vents there lol) the vents on top of the wheels are going and being replaced with the conventional regulation hole. The vent in the side of the front fender is on pretty much all the LMP1 cars. So you'll have to show me where you mean :) . The whole point of the double diffuser was to suck in extra air that would have just hit into the bottom of the rear wheels. The turning veins would be in the diffuser section right? When I designed it I did it more on looks than anything else to be honest :)

skgoa

From the front view there seems to be a huge void in the middle of what the splitter/front edge of the fron diffusor would be. Or am I blind? :lol: And at the back the turning vanes seem to be "moving" into the middle at a very steep angle. this would concentrate the air flow towards the middle and increase preassure/restrict flow. While a bit of curvature is probably wanted, due to having to cope with the tires being a bottleneck, at the end of the diffusor the vanes should be straight. I have no idea how one would draw this, so if you want it to stay the way it is, I am not going to complain. ;)

allstaruk08

Lol yeah if I have time today I'll get the other drawings up they're a bit more clearer :) I looked at the regs for LMP1 and now understand what you mean about the diffuse. Iv drawing the diffuser and straight at the start and opens up behind the rear wheels and in the regs it's the opposite way around it starts wide and closes in. Think I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board lol

allstaruk08

seeing all these cardboard models has made me dig out the drawings for this design, going to start building it over the weekend :D