Attention all F1 Model Builders - Red Bull RB6

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Re: Attention all F1 Model Builders - Red Bull RB6

Being in the UK I have completed the Deagostini Mclaren and it is brilliant! I'm not the best at crafts, but I love it.

strad

Pictures??
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Ray

ajdavison2 wrote:Being in the UK I have completed the Deagostini Mclaren and it is brilliant! I'm not the best at crafts, but I love it.
$1200 for a model?? :shock:

strad

1/8th scale and for that money I expect very nice...or as nice as your skill level will allow...and I bet for the money they make challenging but very doable..Am I correct? I thought about.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Ray

1/8th is a big model, but for that kind of money it should be R/C or something similar. I'd be down for it at half that price, but that's too steep for my blood. Looks absolutely amazing, though.

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

To put it into context, I paid about £560 for all of the issues and the model. The issues are great, detailing some of the technology, personalities, and venues of formula 1 and mclaren over the years. The equivalent 1/8 scale model from the formula 1 website, or the mclaren store would be about £3000, granted the level of detail will be greater, and the quality and materials used will be considerably better aswell but It's actually quite the bargain when you think of it like that. I'm not an expert but it could be feasible to convert it into an RC car with some work, it already has the moving parts such as steering etc. All that would need to be done would be hollow it out, strengthen it, and fit the motors etc. But I'm not an electronics expert and I digress.
strad wrote:1/8th scale and for that money I expect very nice...or as nice as your skill level will allow...and I bet for the money they make challenging but very doable..Am I correct? I thought about.
Well like I've said, my craft work isn't the best, partially due to my own impatience, partially due to some build and quality issues. for example, some of the work is pointless in my opinion; interesting for sure! but needless, like the engine internals, and stuff inside the chassis, these are all fun to build but cant be viewed after the build is completed. some issues I had with the build: Some of the screws were down right difficult to fully screw it, usually I had to put a few screws of varying sizes through them to loosen the hole a little bit. Also Some bits like the exhaust was extremely frustrating, With no clear way to get them even, and line them up, could've done with some better male/female pins to align the parts better. My main gripe as a result of all of this is that the engine cover doesn't fit as well as I'd like; as I've mentioned this is a combination of my own impatience and some build quality issues. Also the decal on the nose is a little bit bumpy.
strad wrote:Pictures??
I did actually try to do a build blog on this site, but found the uploading of pictures to frustrating! coupled with poor internet in my area makes for some difficulties.

Overall through I am thrilled with this model and would recommend it to any f1 fan, the level of detail in the aero, the floor, the suspension, the cockpit, wings etc are all stunning. I'm wishing to varnish it actually but not sure if this would affect the decals or the paint. If anyone could help with that subject It would be appreciated.

Ray

Is it plastic or metal? I couldn't see anything on the US version of the website that confirmed either way.

EDIT: Nevermind, missed the box at the bottom that said it's metal, plastic and carbon fiber. I will say that if they expect the customer to drop over $1000 on a model, they need to have pictures of it that are larger than 480x320. I want to see more detail and that's not gonna cut it.

RicME85

http://forum.model-space.co.uk/default. ... opics&f=35

The official build diary is on there, has some good detailed shots of the build

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

It's not carbon fibre, only the £3000 version is.

strad

I've seriously considered it..the $3500 one..but damn..that's a chucnk of change for model that I can screw up. :wink:
Sir Stirling Moss

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

If I had money to burn I certainly would!

silente
silente

just out of my curiosity: does anybody knows which level of accuracy these models have?

I guess the wonderful 1/8 Mclaren will be very detailed, but do you know if, for example, Tamiya (just to name one) will somehow reflect the real dimensions of the real counterparts when producing their 1/12 models (maybe through some kind of agreement with the manufacturers, then receiving some drawings?) or if they simply use pictures and their own studies to give to each part the right dimensions?

strad

Tamiya and Hasegawa are very accurate.
Sir Stirling Moss

silente
silente

how much is "very acurate"?

strad

how much is "very acurate"?
Jeeeeez..Damn near perfect reproduction of the tiniest detail..how's that?
Visit the damn site and check it out...trot yourself down to a hobby store.
Sir Stirling Moss