Cottrell's F1 Car [Model] TC2

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CottrellGP

Cottrell's F1 Car [Model] TC2

Hi all this is my second F1 car which i have built for the Khamsin championship, before i start to upload images ill just remind you that the car still needs a lot of tweeking.. i have been on it for months (since the Khamsin test race) and am still enjoying building and designing, im open to all feedback! positive or negative! Also the car has the gearbox and engine in the back that is supplied by Khamsin.

The first image is a birds eye view with the Khamsin partners and Sponsors

Second image, side of the car

Third image, rear wing

Fourth image, front end

Also note that the car may be suffering from a lack of parts... they will come soon!
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

Aussie

Re: Cottrell's F1 Car [Model] TC2

So you are still going with the stepped nose? What do you see is the benefit of it?

CottrellGP

Aussie wrote:So you are still going with the stepped nose? What do you see is the benefit of it?
To be honest Aussie i haven't really thought about changing the nose, im pretty sure that will be the next thing to be changed.
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

MIKEY_!

wow thats a really nice car even without further development! I especially like the sidepods, very neat and tidy and a great starting point for development :) for me a nose step cover and new endplates and some cascade wings would be priorities, I look forward to seeing more quality like this

CottrellGP

MIKEY_! wrote:wow thats a really nice car even without further development! I especially like the sidepods, very neat and tidy and a great starting point for development :) for me a nose step cover and new endplates and some cascade wings would be priorities, I look forward to seeing more quality like this
Thanks Mikey! all of those things are in the pipeline and the rear wing endplates or front wing?, and could even be on by tonight, the sidepods have been getting refined for litterely months, still need to shrink wrap the body work around the underside of the gearbox and rear crash structure, thanks again!
Dan
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

MIKEY_!

front wing endplates, good to hear mate 8)

CottrellGP

MIKEY_! wrote:front wing endplates, good to hear mate 8)
Thanks for the feedback! what sort of thing would you recommend for the front wing endplates?
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

MIKEY_!

endplateless ones where the flaps curve downward to meet the footplate but only because they seem to be the most popular in f1, I imagine they will be pretty tricky to make too

astracrazy

looks good mate. i see you have gone for simple exhausts. me too. while the competition doesn't take into account exhausts effects, i think its just going to disturb airflow. Hopefully have mine ready end of month :)

CottrellGP

astracrazy wrote:looks good mate. i see you have gone for simple exhausts. me too. while the competition doesn't take into account exhausts effects, i think its just going to disturb airflow. Hopefully have mine ready end of month :)
Thanks, this feedback gives me a boost! Yep ive gone for the simple exhausts because of the competition as well. I did do a version with a coanda style exhaust but there is no point... i want to try and keep the coke bottle area as neat and smooth to try get max air over the diffuser and into the starter hole area :D
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

astracrazy

ye looks clean. have you run your own test with khamsin yet?

same with me i started to do it but backtracked. We are designing it for the comp not to compete with f1 cars in a fantasy lol

CottrellGP

astracrazy wrote:ye looks clean. have you run your own test with khamsin yet?

same with me i started to do it but backtracked. We are designing it for the comp not to compete with f1 cars in a fantasy lol
No not yet, i dont know how to use it lol :lol:
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

CottrellGP

A small update, new nose cone, splitter area and complete new rear end due to the new internals from Khamsin

Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

amouzouris

I find the heart shaped central hot air outlet very interesting. What is the reason for that?

CottrellGP

amouzouris wrote:I find the heart shaped central hot air outlet very interesting. What is the reason for that?
There is no real reason why, im no aero expert but i wanted the outlet to blow the monkey seat which is quite high up, at the same time i wanted the bottom of the outlet to be as tight as possible so it would blow the center of the beam wing and also let air from the side pods hit the center of the beam wing, so this was the shape i came up with. It might not work but i find the solution the best up to now.
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!