Kit car suspension Vs normal car suspension

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
zir786
zir786

Kit car suspension Vs normal car suspension

is there a difference in a kit car suspension and a normal road car suspension. if they both use double wishbone.

basically what i want to know is could you take a normal car double wishbone suspension and put it in a kit car or are there special ones for a kit car.

flynfrog

Re: Kit car suspension Vs normal car suspension

That all depends. I assume you are talking about a seven? If so most double A arm production car suspensions are too wide. Also bolting on a production car suspension negates one of the big advantages of a kit car in that you can optimize the suspension instead of dealing with what the the factory left you.

Tim.Wright

zir786 wrote:is there a difference in a kit car suspension and a normal road car suspension. if they both use double wishbone.
Yea, a lot of differences. In the same way that a v8 from a Corvette is different from a v8 from an F1 car.
zir786 wrote:basically what i want to know is could you take a normal car double wishbone suspension and put it in a kit car or are there special ones for a kit car.
I'd say yes to both of those. Yes, with a massive amount of effort you could probably find a double wishbone suspension from one or multiple cars that will "fit" on a kit car. And yes, there are special suspensions designed for kit cars to spare you that massive amount of effort. Have you googled Westfield, Ultima, Caterham?
Not the engineer at Force India

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

This is so confusing. First.. if it's a kit car you're playing with, does it not HAVE control arms etc. already for the suspension? I.e. the whole thing about being a kit rather than a bare frame.

Second.. if you're trying to design a suspension (as in your other post), why are you asking about bolting in road car control arms?

Third.. a "road car suspension" isn't just a plug and play item. I can't very well take the suspension off my old '95 Wrangler and just bolt it into my '07 350z. So no, I would have no expectation that you could take control arms from your favorite car and get lucky enough to make them fit on say a Factory Five Cobra, unless as Tim states it's at extraordinary effort and luck.

I think it's best to rewind and really re-examine what it is you're trying to accomplish.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Tim.Wright

Jersey Tom wrote:I can't very well take the suspension off my old '95 Wrangler and just bolt it into my '07 350z.
Not with that attitude you won't mate :wink:
Not the engineer at Force India