(KVRC) Variante

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
variante

Re: (KVRC) Variante

ah, yes it is small...last year i did pretty much the same and nobody complained. However i'm convinced that it could could be done in real life as well (many teams actually did the same...maybe not as radically as me). Anyway, if someone doesn't like it, i can change it very easily...the aero advantage of the small overlap is almost invisible...

CAEdevice

Don't worry, I was not complaining... I'll understand my question when my car will be completed :)

variante

yeah, but again, if there's some detail that looks unfairly unrealistic, there's no problem for me to correct it...since we are talking about details :)

astracrazy

As long as it complies with the regs then its fine.

cdsavage

variante wrote:ah, yes it is small...last year i did pretty much the same and nobody complained. However i'm convinced that it could could be done in real life as well (many teams actually did the same...maybe not as radically as me). Anyway, if someone doesn't like it, i can change it very easily...the aero advantage of the small overlap is almost invisible...
You mean the width of the pillars? As long as they are 1cm thick you are fine (K5.6). Also as is the cockpit isnt how it should be according to the rules, but Im guessing youve changed it just for these pictures and the submitted model will be different.

variante

I think he was referring to the overlap between the pillars and the neutral wing.
Just for the record: i've changed them, since those you see here don't comply with the custom made Rule K5.6, concerning pillars' area.
cdsavage wrote:Also as is the cockpit isnt how it should be according to the rules, but Im guessing youve changed it just for these pictures and the submitted model will be different.
Yes, just for the pictures. But it's still a weird choice to extend the head protections inside driver's helmet...

astracrazy

I take it you got the e-mail reg K5.6? as your pillars would of been legal after the change

CottrellGP

Hi nice car, what program did you use to render your model?
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

variante

@astra
after some corrections, everything should be legal now.

@Cottrell
hi! nice to hear from you. I used Kerkythea (which is free and Sketchup compatible). I can give you the exact settings, if needed.

CottrellGP

variante wrote:@astra
after some corrections, everything should be legal now.

@Cottrell
hi! nice to hear from you. I used Kerkythea (which is free and Sketchup compatible). I can give you the exact settings, if needed.
Hello! Yes would be great if you could send me the render settings, thanks
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

variante

Hi guys. Time for a little update concerning the livery of my car: i'm showing you the definitive version of it, with sponsors of the Khamsin competition.
You may notice some small aero updates here and there, but this is just the showcar: it's just an aesthetics exercise.
In fact i'm still working on the actual car, earning newton by newton thanks to both small and big updates. I'm looking for better results this year :D

CAEdevice

It looks full of downforce :)

The "competition for engineering" stiker is not that beauty but it's not your fault!

variante

Yeah..i should have made some more harmony between the stickers and the livery... But for the moment i prefer to focus on the CFD work... which, for the record, gave me a 7% improvement compared to the package you are seeing now. Not bad :D

CAEdevice

It depends on the absolute values... ;) I'm taking as a reference the CFD example in the KVRC website.

I'm joking.. 7% gain in df is a great result!

variante

Indeed... we're also using different set-up for our wind tunnels... therefore we can just wait for the race to start in order to see who's got the best car.
BTW, i'm happy with the rate of development so far...and i i've still got a couple of original solutions to show :D let's see...