Brake fluid reservoirs, exhaust pipes, fire extinguisher, radiator pipes, beer and more...
I've made a nice progress over the last days. There's not a lot missing any more. The main sites are front suspension, brakes, brake ducts, wheels and engine cover.
When I come to the end of a car build, I usually create a to do list with all the stuff on which is left. On this list I rate all elements with
+ which means, it's an easy, quick and nice, simple to build element
~ which means, it's a pretty simple element, but takes it's time and is not that nice to manufacture
- which means, it takes a lot of time to build the element
Front suspension, cockpit padding and engine cover are the last three minus elements (maybe also the rims).
The components and assemblies, I produced during the last few days are stuff like exhaust end pipes (with their helmholtz resonater - more on that in picture caption below), fire extinguisher, brake bias lever, dashboard, roll sensor, brake fluid reservoirs, pitot tube and some electronic stuff at the front end of the chassis.
Beside all this, I created a rim instruction. So the rim design is already done. Unfortunately I lost the drive shafts during the summer...
So light delay at the rear suspension build.
At the moment, the car is at about 4000 parts.
Front view of the steering wheel - it consists of 107 single parts and has a diameter of 27mm. For comparison, the RB7's wheel has 73 parts and the R18TDI's wheel (much bigger) has 109 parts.
Back view of the steering wheel with clutch and gear shift paddles. At the best sake, I can't remember any more, what the top lever is. It seems, I got a little rusty... With the ruler beside, you can actually imagine the size of all these tiny elements.
A view into the chassis with removed seat and steering wheel. At the bottom, you can see the fire extinguisher, right handed the fire extinguisher switch as well as the ignition switch are mounted. At the left hand side, the brake bias lever is mounted.
Just the seat straps are missing - but it's actually hard to find suitable straps with the right colours and fabric.
That are the raw exhaust pipes. They consist of a steel wire inside and a thick paper cover (many cylindrical layers). Before painting, the whole structure is covered with a thin layer of glue and sanded down to get a clean surface. The pipe which is sticked on the actual pipe is the helmholtz resonator. It simply provides a steady exhaust gas flow to get a nice blown floor. For an exact description of the effect, just google. It's basically pretty simple.
The right hand exhaust pipe during the painting process. The left and the right pipes are a little different due to the different space conditions in the side pods (oil radiator right handed, water radiator left handed). The paint jig (beer crate and a steel wire) is a bit unorthodox, but it's simple and it works.
The right hand exhaust pipe in the side pod. It's not fixed yet, as the lacquer is still curing. But somehow in this position it will be later on. The packaging of these cars was already quite tight, but not really comparable to the current generation of hybridcars.
The left hand side pod without its exhaust pipe. But the feeding lines for the water radiator are fitted.
Something is going on at the front of the chassis. It's fully packed with brake fluid reservoirs, some gauge instruments and some electronics. Clearly visible, the pitot tube (air speed) at the top and the roll sensor at the bottom.
That's the roll sensor, nicely shaped.
To get an imagination on the size of all these elements... Note also, there's a 1 € Cent coin (diameter 16.25mm) lying on the chassis.
To do list
Rim instruction - all these parts are needed to produce a rim.
That's it fo the moment, thanks for watching!