Dali SD015 My 2015 F1 car

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Daliracing

Dali SD015 My 2015 F1 car

Hi guys,
In the past summer i've tried to design a F1 car in Solidworks. At that time i was only a beginner in CAD and the car was only build with solids. Now With the new F1 season comming up i decided to design a new car. This time using surfacing.
This is how things are atm:
Car Compared to the 2014 one:
This is it for now. advice and tips are always welcome!

CAEdevice

Re: Dali SD015 My 2015 F1 car

Very good development!

michaelclarke

Nice work! Looking forward to see where it's going.

The nose on the 'SD2014' (assuming the name) is interesting. I thought about a similar design; I'm assuming the lower stub is the actual crash structure and the very front section is a vanity panel of some sort? My idea was slightly different in that the lower stub part would be wider to try and replicate the pelican nose style nose.

I'd love to see more images of both the cars, especially that monkey seat you've developed this year haha.

What CAD package are you using, is solids short for SolidWorks?

Makes me want to have a go as well.
“Keep learning, you’ll never know everything… Never think you’re the best, because you probably aren’t. And always strive to be the best; that is working hard and keep learning.” – Jensen Button.

MadMatt

He's using Solidworks (the software), but modelling with surfaces rather than solid volumes. Like if you were to model a coke can. Using solids you would do a cylinder filled with material, but using surfacing you would just make an empty (but closed) cylinder. Sorry for the crappy explanation but you get the idea I think.

michaelclarke

MadMatt wrote:He's using Solidworks (the software), but modelling with surfaces rather than solid volumes. Like if you were to model a coke can. Using solids you would do a cylinder filled with material, but using surfacing you would just make an empty (but closed) cylinder. Sorry for the crappy explanation but you get the idea I think.
I see, thanks for the explanation. I've seen that function but not used it before.
“Keep learning, you’ll never know everything… Never think you’re the best, because you probably aren’t. And always strive to be the best; that is working hard and keep learning.” – Jensen Button.

Daliracing

michaelclarke wrote:Nice work! Looking forward to see where it's going.

The nose on the 'SD2014' (assuming the name) is interesting. I thought about a similar design; I'm assuming the lower stub is the actual crash structure and the very front section is a vanity panel of some sort? My idea was slightly different in that the lower stub part would be wider to try and replicate the pelican nose style nose.

I'd love to see more images of both the cars, especially that monkey seat you've developed this year haha.

What CAD package are you using, is solids short for SolidWorks?

Makes me want to have a go as well.
Thanks for the comment! well it was more like a test the nose on the SD014. i didn't had something in mind. diffirent on the newer car. The new one has kind of a pelican nose. Thanks Madmatt for replying! I do use solidworks and the new one is indeed modeled with surfases.
For more pictures i can give you a link where al my projects are on.
https://www.behance.net/gertdalemans

Daliracing

another comparisation:

RicME85

Did you follow the rulebook for the 2014 car? That rear shot shows the diffuser to be too high.

I have tried to use solidworks, have watched numerous videos but cannot figure it out at all. Would much prefer to us SW instead of Sketchup but the basic almost MS Paint way of drawing in SU makes it much easier to use IMO.

Daliracing

RicME85 wrote:Did you follow the rulebook for the 2014 car? That rear shot shows the diffuser to be too high.

I have tried to use solidworks, have watched numerous videos but cannot figure it out at all. Would much prefer to us SW instead of Sketchup but the basic almost MS Paint way of drawing in SU makes it much easier to use IMO.
Yes i did. i guess i've made a mistake then the new car has a stepped floor maybe that has to do something with the mistake. Thanks for the reply. Well i've never used sketchup so i can't say which one is easier.

Daliracing

Some small updates like the suspension. I've also corrected the height of the diffusor.
Front suspension:

Rear suspension:

Overal view:

Daliracing

Because it wasn't the intension of getting the car perform great in CFD i've decided to make a steeringwheel. i've never designed one so improvements or tips are welcome.

This is my first attempt:

Daliracing

If updated the car a bit. the rear wing is different and i've added some details.

Rear wing close up:
Rear view:
Overal view:

I haven't test the car yet but i just can't run cfd so i just made this to practice my CAD skills. Enjoy it.