(KVRC) Brook Motorsport

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
machin

Re: (KVRC) Brook Motorsport

RicME85 wrote:Ok, lets clear this up :D

Ahh good.. my eyes weren't deceiving me! What was the thinking behind the white part "shielding" the front of the sidepod...? if you don't mind me asking?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

RicME85

Was aesthetic choice rather than performance, not going to score any meaningful points so thought why not.
I don't like the rule governing the impact structure, the only time it is hidden nicely is in a design with a completely covered car.
Didn't have much time to work on the car for this round due to life getting in the way.

machin

That's a very classically looking LMP... I presume the radiators are fed from under the front diffuser...?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

RicME85

Correct.
Thought just going smooth and simple was the best option. Has a whacking great front diffuser and an equally large rear one.
Rear wing is just a skinny addition to balance the car.
Tried something different with the exhaust placement. Not sure if Chris will like it but to try and convince him I rendered the whole path to the engine :D

variante

It will be interesting to see how that "old style LMP" compares!

What about your canopy? Have you tested it? It reminds me of the counter-intuitive Williams F1 engine cover.

Hope Chris won't complain with you about airflow to the radiators, if they're getting any :lol:

Finally, may i suggest to raise your rear wing near to the top? That way it would be much more efficient for two reasons:
first, it wouldn't suffer that much from "dirty" air coming from the canopy
second, it wouldn't dissipate the low pressure all over the engine cover
Making so, you would get more downforce (in excess), then you could decrease wing's AoA and therefore drag, further increasing efficiency.

RicME85

Thanks for the tips, this version was made completely yesterday as havent been well enough recently so didn't have time to run any simulations to see how things interact.

As for the airflow to the radiators, we shall see, it is after all a test race. If Chris doesn't like it I can either raise the front diffuser slightly or move them to a similar position to the TF car.

Need to get to work on the definitive version for September as I am away for two weeks getting married and on honeymoon in the lead up to the submission date.

variante

Awesome, mate! I'm happy for you

One less opponent... :twisted:

RicME85

Didnt get the numbers I was hoping for from the non-points scoring race with the old style LMP car so have gone back to what I have been using before but tweaked areas, hopefully will see some an improvement.
Havent had chance to test the car unfortunately, have had to rush it through as I am going away on Saturday to get married next Thursday so had to get the car ready and submitted very early.

LVDH

The car looks good, simple and clean.
It seems the solution with having the cooling exit above the diffuser is catching on.

I know the rules about covering the front suspension are quite a challenge.
Maybe you could loose a few words on why you went for the solution you are showing here.

MadMatt

Wow, very agressive car. Good attention to detail with a 3D front wing element. I see you opened the sides of the front wheel wells. Are you exhausting air from there? Very simple rear end, why did you decide not to add downforce generating devices there? Good effort, I like this car better than your previous one which looked alright at first, but not enough refined. Some kind of group C2 car.

RicME85

LVDH :
I have used the cooling solution for a few rounds, IMO its the neatest solution when having a covered rear section + large sidepod.
I wanted to try something different with the front suspension, its an area that I dont like in the rules. As I havent run any CFD on the car I have no idea how this solution effects air flow but at least its more aesthetically pleasing (IMO).

Matt:
That is the idea with regards to the front wheels although again, no idea how it will interact with the air on the inside of the wheel covers.
Decided not to add extra downforce devices at the rear as the balance of downforce being generated on my previous cars has been rear biased and as there are a number of carry over elements thought it best to leave things as is for this round.
Priority was to get a car submitted to pickup any points possible rather than losing out whilst away on honeymoon. Next round I should be able to improve this design from the results of this next race.