Magnesium V4 Turbo aviation engine

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LuPi

Magnesium V4 Turbo aviation engine

Mitakuye Oyasin, :)

I'm from homebuiltairplanes, and let me tell you, they're a rough crowd.

Have a few ideas for Original dry deck cooling, 6 valve/cylinder twin-spark gas engine.
Tri-turbo (two exhaust banks, one for intakes.)
60 degree cathedral head, 75 degree cylinder bank with 90/270 two throw hollow crank & cams.
Close tolerance powder metallurgy pistons in cylinder sleeves.
Fork & rod H-I connecting rods with about 2/1 L/s

It's only 300cc, but I'm looking to pull a very good power/weight from it.

Love this site, an honor to participate,
LuPi

P.S. The magnesium I'm looking into is very new from Asia, it's a work in progress but very good preliminary performance.

zenji

Re: Magnesium V4 Turbo aviation engine

I love 'homebuiltairplanes', such a free spirited place!
Your motor is mind boggling! I imagine valves splayed like hedgehog needles, very large cylinder heads.
Magnesium is going to be interesting, hollow crank, lost wax casings? 8)

LuPi

Well, you imagined wrong, but no worries. It takes time to assimilate new information. Going to a 6 valve system vs. 4 valve reduces height of head to ~2/3, mass of valves ~4/9. The cams themselves will have 2/3 diameter of 4 valves. An added benefit is the valves fit in dish pistons without the need for awkward looking valve recesses or fly-cutting.

Definitely castings, not certain which type, I'm looking to combine the step of casting with a thermal barrier application, in a sort of liquid squeeze hybrid cast procedure. A bit over the top in terms of technology, but it would be a clean procedure. I have a lot of sensitivities.

LuPi

Himlar

I don't know anything at all about aviation engines, but the specs makes me think of an extremely awesome lightweight and compact FSAE engine as long as it is four-stroke and it would work with a restrictor ...

J.A.W.

Why a 4-stroke?

Seems like a lot of needless complexity/expense by comparison to what a 2-stroke will do.. better..

See.. http://www.hirth-engines.de/index.php/en/2-stroke-logic
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

LuPi

Engine Limitation
IC1.1.1
The engine(s) used to power the car must be a piston engine(s) using a four
-
stroke primary heat cycle
with a displacement
not exceeding 610 cc per cycle. Hybrid powertrains, such as those using electric
motors running off stored energy, are prohibited.

I'm planning a V-10 2 stroke (please let's not discuss that now).
Aero engines have 1,000hr TBO and redundant systems. Recently it's been suggested that automotive engines might actually have greater reliability with certain engines getting 4,000+ hrs before failure. Hirth is doing a good job, as is Rotax. There's not much quality in the 'small engine' category.

Thx,
I'll look into FSEA

Tommy Cookers

LuPi wrote: .......
Aero engines have 1,000hr TBO and redundant systems. Recently it's been suggested that automotive engines might actually have greater reliability with certain engines getting 4,000+ hrs before failure. ......
every flight needs full power and rpm, no car will give 4000 hrs like that
and there are no parking places in the sky
most aero engines eg Lycoming have a 2000 hr TBO which is usually extended 'on condition' to 2800 hrs or more
TBO extensions are based on condition monitoring and the extent of the operator's inspection and maintenance procedures

for 60+ years car or related engines have been tried and have not been taken up
eg amateur VW Beetle, Civic, Buick/Oldsmobile V8, US iron smallblock and bigblock V8s, V12 Jaguar etc
and serious efforts from Porsche, Honda, Renault etc

for aviation you need individual cylinders and heads (so pushrods and air cooling)
so when there's low compression on 1 cylinder it can be easily cured by ring unsticking or a valve grind
costs $250, and saves $25000
that's why they had all those radial engines, and still have all those Flat 4s and Flat 6s

an aero engine is only as good as its ability to turn power efficiently into thrust
so a reduction mechanism (or avoiding such) is a dominant design factor
eg avoiding it by designing for low rpm via a low bore:stroke ratio

a Magnesium alloy V4 sounds like a good idea
Flat engines can impede the pilot's view, make a big hole in the air, and are ugly
we only got them by accident (a 30s depression-era cheapie cast in 1 piece by being a sidevalve)

mep

Are you going to use that engine in a car or in a plane?