Professional advice (SPAM)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
rhianna15
rhianna15

Professional advice (SPAM)

Hey guys, need some professional advice here.

My school is building a Formula SAE race car. We're in the initial stages of planning and design and would like to know if it's worth it to have front and/or read wings on the car.

Here are some specs from the SAE website

Top Speed - Est 115Km/h

Avg Speed - Est 48-57Km/h

Thanks a lot for the help, I'm sure that I'll be picking your brains in the months to come.
Last edited by Steven on 25 Apr 2015, 14:58, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Spamuser deleted, but post and thread kept alive

machin

Re: professional advice

What did last year's top three cars have?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Greg Locock

If you want professional advice does that mean you are paying for it?

Facts Only

I dont mean to.sound harsh but isn't the point of FSAE to learn? Get you calculator, reference books and notepad out and have a bash at some sums, then make some drawings/CAD models run some CFD and or dynamic tests and see if you were right.

I suppose the basic answer you need to look for is can the down force you can generate be enough of a benefif to more than cancel the effects of the increased weight and size of the machine.

That's what we had to do back when I did FSAE, it was that or wait for a 33kpbs modem to load ask Jeeves, and Jeeves knew naff all about race car aero!
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Tim.Wright

I believe its a spam bot re-hashing a question from the dark ages (before Youtube/Facebook) and before wings were cool in FSAE. At that time it wasn't such a stupid question:
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 2020#p2020
Not the engineer at Force India

Facts Only

Tim.Wright wrote:I believe its a spam bot re-hashing a question from the dark ages (before Youtube/Facebook) and before wings were cool in FSAE. At that time it wasn't such a stupid question:
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 2020#p2020

2003 Blimey. Back then FSAE cars ran on something called petrol.

I can't really see what these spam bots are for, odd.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Just_a_fan

I think the idea is that the spam bot creates a legitimate user account by posting "real" posts. Lots of sites try to control the "old fashioned" method of creating an account, spamming instantly and then leaving. This appears to be a way around that control.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Tim.Wright

I think they need to get to a certain number of posts before they are allowed to post links.

Wings were black magic on FSAE cars back then.

For that matter so were carbon monocoques.
Not the engineer at Force India

Facts Only

Tim.Wright wrote: Wings were black magic on FSAE cars back then.

For that matter so were carbon monocoques.
Ours was made from steel, with a fibreglass (remember that?) body with an engine that got petrol and air through a carburetor and had a lever to change the gears... and it did quite well! The progress in FSAE technology has been imense.