Weight of an FSAE car vs bike

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
J.A.W.

Re: engine

krisfx wrote:J.A.W - The FSAE car is an infinite improvement on a bike because doubling the wheels means it can stand unsupported without falling over, which is just better. :D
"...Without falling over..." ?
Can you be serious k--x? I doubt it..
& how is it that I can ride quite hard, & lean over far enough in corners - to scrape my bike.. "without falling over"?

Until a showdown is arranged, we'll have to surmise that, neophyte engineering application excepted..
..the 4-wheeled machines are a technical step backwards..

Does the weight count on the things include the driver?..

( Yamaha specifies a wet weight of 247lbs for the YZF 450F)..

& check out what even a fat porker Harley-Davidson can do.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1iq2ExxmNc

Or another - slightly more wieldy - porker bike - in the wet.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVoXGGXRl5k

& this rider, faster yet, in the dry.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXWVYtsf43Y
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Cold Fussion

J.A.W. wrote:"Weigh less"? Really?
The Moto 2 G.P. bike which uses the Honda 600/4 production mill - has a weight limit for bike/rider of 215kg..
Be-winged downforce at speeds that low implies a barn-door approach to aero..
The TU-Graz car weighs in at the 150 kg, a production CBR600rr weighs 190 kg. To produce meaningful downforce at 30 km/h you need big barn door wings.

J.A.W.

A production Honda 600/4 is stuffed with weighty equipment to make it practicably road legal..
A FSAE car is not.. but is the "150kg" car powered by the Honda 600/4 mill, or by the 450 Yamaha?
..which is much lighter than the FSAE machine, straight from the showroom..

& is that "150kg" figure a curb weight, wet-loaded or a bare 'tare'? Got a link to verify this, C-F ?

Anyhow.. did you watch the linked video clips.. got any FSAE evolutions to post - for comparison?

& the 'barn-door' approach to aero has been noted a couple of times already.. & it must really kill any high speed potential.

sgth0mas

JAW can you please leave your fanboy motorcycle arguments out of 1 thread? Its gotten terribly annoying, and before we have to ask mods to muzzle you it would be nice if you could control yourself.

J.A.W.

Sgt -S, FYI - in case you missed it - this is the 'Engine, Transmission & Chassis' section..

In this thread, the engine & transmissions under consideration are motorcycle units..
& we have been considering the issue of best employment/chassis function..

So, kindly, unless you have something useful to contribute, then spare us your rudeness..
( & yes - I have - reported your impertinence..)

sgth0mas

J.A.W. wrote:Sgt -S, FYI - in case you missed it - this is the 'Engine, Transmission & Chassis' section..

In this thread, the engine & transmissions under consideration are motorcycle units..
& we have been considering the issue of best employment/chassis function..

So, kindly, unless you have something useful to contribute, then spare us your rudeness..
( & yes - I have - reported your impertinence..)
On this forum...ive seen you do nothing but try to start arguments based on opinion. You even started a motorcycle thread in the F1 section and made a mess of it. You dont even have the technical capacity to make meaningful arguments...so please get your motorcycle fanboi nonsense out of here.

J.A.W.

Do you know what irony is Sgt-S.. since your post stat above is a clear indication that you do not..
..since in your post at the top of this page.. you wrote.. "I would like to see a motorcycle vs FSAE...just for fun..."

Yet when I post data & video that shows FSAE aint that hot, - you as a FSAE ''fanboi" attempt to shut it down.

Again, I have had to report your "terribly annoying" off-topic post & concomitant attempt to instigate drama..
Kindly desist such "nonsense", forthwith..

Andres125sx

J.A.W. wrote: Yet when I post data & video that shows FSAE aint that hot, - you as a FSAE ''fanboi" attempt to shut it down.
Obviously you missed the question and point of this thread, it is about FSAE, not your 4 wheels vs 2 wheels thread, not about what vehicle will corner faster if 2 wheels or 4 wheels, and not about building the fastest vehicle for road or fast tracks. This is about FSAE, the vehicle will race on FSAE tracks, and it MUST have 4 wheels to enter FSAE, so I really don´t get what´s your point with 9 messages in the thread trying to convice people about how much better bikes are compared to FSAE cars :?:

Please JAW, stop derailing another thread, some of us are interested on FSAE and would love to see what people with experience in FSAE can tell us about those cars, even if they are slower on open roads than bikes