has anyone made a 'backwards' head for a V-engine?

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
tuj
tuj

has anyone made a 'backwards' head for a V-engine?

By 'backwards', I mean the intakes on the outsides and the exhaust in the V.

The idea here would be for a 1.6L V6 to exhaust to the inside of the V to keep the exhaust runners as short as possible and run all that to the turbine, which would sit at the end of the V. The turbine would be connected to the compressor at the front of the V via an extended shaft and then from the compressor it would split into two plenums on each side of the V for intake air.

Any advantages? Anyone ever do something like this?

Holm86

Re: has anyone made a 'backwards' head for a V-engine?

tuj wrote:By 'backwards', I mean the intakes on the outsides and the exhaust in the V.

The idea here would be for a 1.6L V6 to exhaust to the inside of the V to keep the exhaust runners as short as possible and run all that to the turbine, which would sit at the end of the V. The turbine would be connected to the compressor at the front of the V via an extended shaft and then from the compressor it would split into two plenums on each side of the V for intake air.

Any advantages? Anyone ever do something like this?
Yes, its been done before. Called a hot-vee. It's prohibited in current F1 regulations though, don't know why.
Audi's R18 LMP engine features this layout.

Cold Fussion

The new turbocharged AMG v8's run a hot-v layout from memory.

tuj
tuj

This is prohibited in current regs huh? I wonder why?

Thanks, I hadn't seen the Audi design before! I hadn't heard 'hot-V' before, thanks!

knabbel

BMW M5 has that

SiLo

This seems like a much more efficient design of engine if you are going to put a turbo charger on it.

F1 is stupid sometimes, could have had these engines in the back of the cars instead!
Felipe Baby!

matt21

SiLo wrote:This seems like a much more efficient design of engine if you are going to put a turbo charger on it.

F1 is stupid sometimes, could have had these engines in the back of the cars instead!
I would not directly agree to that.
If you have a cold vee you can put the intercooler right into it.
There are a lot more pros and cons for either solution

flynfrog

Ford cammer 1965

Buick nailhead with a reverse flow cam.

hurril

matt21 wrote:
SiLo wrote:This seems like a much more efficient design of engine if you are going to put a turbo charger on it.

I would not directly agree to that.
If you have a cold vee you can put the intercooler right into it.
There are a lot more pros and cons for either solution
Potential losses from slightly longer intake runners are likely well compensated for by the very much shorter exhaust runners. For instance: the intercooler could become two, smaller, ones on either side of the engine block.