2017 F1 Design Study

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CurtisEngi

2017 F1 Design Study

As a first poster let me introduce myself

Im currently a 3rd Year Mechanical Engineering student in Aus and march when the GP came to town was a pretty exciting time of the year, and was a bit bummed last year when the sound was gone, there was nothing like being KM's away from the track in the mid 200's listening to V10s scream around the track sadly those days are gone. However as a bit of fun and a good chance to actually apply my university learning i thought i would attempt to design a car for the hopeful 2017 regulations

Obviously with future road technology hybrid power is here to stay but my current first step is to design a chassis and body and move to power and other components from there, my aim is to 3D construct and render this in solidworks as i go

Given that i'm starting with the front wing, does anyone know of rough dimensions of the current cars outside of the area regulations, maximum bodyshape width of 1650mm and minimum width infront of the front wheel centreline? im mainly implying the regulation area directly below the nose mounting and moving out from the centre line before the teams start bending and adding foils? the tech regs im either struggling to read or are a bit bland

RicME85

Re: 2017 F1 Design Study

Have a look at the end of the regulation pdf, there are images in the appendix that help a great deal with understanding the various regulations