Building the suspension is maybe the toughest, but also most satisfying area of the car. You've got so many constraints - mounting points, wing mounts and bodywork clearance. Also, the positioning has to be exact, because it will later define the rake and ride height.
Firstly, the wishbones had to be constructed. But before I could start, I had to figure out the layout, which wasn't easy at all. Especially at the rear, where the lower WB sits at the back, and the trackrod is placed in front of the driveshaft. I got a lot of help on the MP4-30 topic, for which I'm grateful.
For the construction I used cardboard tubes (as usual), which were cut into the correct length and bonded with the help of paperclips. New was the addition of aerodynamic fairings, which definitely made the wishbones more realistic. Then, the brake ducts followed. Nothing special there, I just tried to work cleanly. A preview of the rear:
A further difficulty at the back was an unremovable bodywork panel through which the upper WB, the pullrod and the driveshaft should fit. I needed 4 attempts to get the curvature and slots right, but it was worth it. Only after glueing it in place and making the brake ducts with as many as 8 flaps could I mount the rear suspension.
Not much to say about the front:
Moving on, the brakes followed. I tried to be more precise than last time by including the uprights. They covered the paper clip ends protruding from the ducts. On top of them, the brake calipers and discs were mounted. Also note the neat detail which is the axle thread.
After the brakes were finished, I could go on and fit their covers. I'm satisfied with their quality, the carbon ring and the colour inner side are neat - a new circular layout was used to avoid wrinkles. Also, I tried to include vents as accurately as possible.
The current state of the car (after adding some 250 pieces)
More can be found (as always) on my website
And an album with more suspension pics: https://plus.google.com/110702505449157 ... ad2rL1u3Vp
Thanks for watching!