2017 F1 Car: Design Project

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Tozza Mazza

2017 F1 Car: Design Project

Hi all,

I am an Aerospace engineering student who has completed their undergraduate studies and is working for a year in industry at a finite element simulation company (Structural, not CFD) who has an interest in race car design.

A few weeks ago I decided to undertake a project whereby I would design a F1 car in CAD, with slightly modified regulations to match those anticipated for 2017, and use this as a base to evaluate the changes these regulations will have on the car, and from this point develop the car with the aid of CFD to make it a working design. The CAD model was surprisingly quick to whip up, only taking a week or so with the biggest challenge (so far) being the practise of getting to grips with the CFD software and post-processor. I am going to use the 'one-click CFD' package used by the KVRC teams.

To summarise, my aims:
1/Create a visual interpretation of the 2017 F1 technical regulations
2/Evaluate the effect of such changes
3/Use engineering concepts and computational fluid dynamics to develop this car.

The changes to be made by the FIA have not yet been ratified or publicised, so I've based my changes on which changes are popular judged by what is talked about most in the media, and which are likely to be made on technical grounds. F1 cars are around 8 seconds a lap slower than they were in 2004 (give or take a second or two depending on the circuit). A large part of this difference in lap time is due to changes in engine regulations, with 3.0 litre V10 engines used in 2004 and 1.6 litre V6 turbo power units used today. Other major changes include a change in weight close to around 100kg and massive restrictions on the cars aerodynamically. These aerodynamic changes were implemented progressively by recommendation of the OWG (overtaking working group) with the aim of increasing the number of on track overtakes. The biggest changes came in 2009, where the rear wing was made taller and narrower, the front wing widened to 1.8m and raised and the banning of extreme bodywork on the engine cover and sidepods were introduced. Further changes were made to year on year, making the cars slower and slower.

In 2017 it is hoped that the technical regulations will be amended to decrease lap times by a magnitude of around 5-8 seconds a lap. Here are my proposed changes:

Overall width increased from 1.8m to 2.0m
Wheel diameter increased from 13in to 18in
Tyre diameter increased from 660mm to 720mm
Front Tyre width increased to 350mm
Rear Tyre width increased to 420mm

Floor step reduced from 50mm to 25mm
Rear Wing width increased from 750mm to 1000mm
Rear Wing height reduced from 950mm to 800mm
Rear Diffuser height increased from 125mm to 200mm
Limiting the Front Wing to 2 elements

Reduction in weight from ~700kg to ~620kg

My hope is that these proposed changes will improve lap times by this proposed magnitude on the current iteration of cars. The major gains in lap time will come from increased cornering grip, with the extra mechanical grip from the wider car and large bump in rear downforce. It is hoped that these changes are not severe enough to greatly effect the downforce/grip levels of a car closely following another, so as to not undo the work of the OWG.

Development:
The initial design you see is very simple. This is intentional, with the aim of providing an initial knowledge of how the car behaves. The initial runs will aim on developing the wings and diffuser on the car, before looking in to adding strakes and turning vanes and modifying barge boards to compliment the characteristics of the car. The aim here is not to make radical changes which drastically affect how the car behave, but rather gradually develop areas of the car so that they behave as desired and work together so as to learn from it. My next post will focus on the behaviour of the car and will follow once I am happy that I am running OCCFD properly, until then here's a pretty image showing a streamline with the car.

Planned changes:
My first round of changes will include polishing up the car, by applying radii to where two levels of floor meet, and the addition of a rear crash structure and rear suspension mounting points. From this point onwards I will be happy to focus on development with regards to improving performance.

Thanks for reading.

RicME85

Re: 2017 F1 Car: Design Project

Awesome. What setting are you using on OCCFD?
Dont know if you have been following the thread Machin started that I have done lots of CFD work in but I have found the KVRC stable option to be the best, the standard KVRC option can have issues with divergence which I have yet to encounter on the stable option.
Are you running on your own workstation or AWS?

Tozza Mazza

RicME85 wrote:Awesome. What setting are you using on OCCFD?
Dont know if you have been following the thread Machin started that I have done lots of CFD work in but I have found the KVRC stable option to be the best, the standard KVRC option can have issues with divergence which I have yet to encounter on the stable option.
Are you running on your own workstation or AWS?
Hi there,

I have been following the thread, some very interesting and exciting work achieved a very good read! I've set it up on my own workstation for now, and just want everything to be configured properly which is what the first few runs have been about, I've been getting errors at the post-processing stage but I think that was due to my MPI install which is hopefully now resolved. For my first few simulations I have been using KVRC light to reduce the run time just so that I know all is working as desired.

RicME85

Getting all the bits of software installed and in the correct place is the thing that usually messes up OCCFD.
If you want to use AWS at any point I can help you set it up, Julien and I spent days getting it working but its now faultless (he didnt have anyone else using the AWS option other than me so was trial and error with just the two of us)
How are you with Paraview?
This video that Julien did ages ago for the old Khamsin plugin has a good section of Paraview - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwArEBv1iMY
There is also a guide in Machin's thread near the end on how to use SurfaceLIC

Tozza Mazza

At the moment paraview isn't the problem! My simulation errors when it comes to post-processing and generating the images to determine frontal area, can't work out why!

RicME85

What is the error message you are getting?
IIRC, Matteo had an issue with the post processing part early in the year

julien.decharentenay

Hi, If you can post the error message it would help. It is likely to be associated with ParaView - in my local Windows machine, it only works with ParaView 3.98 - not the earlier version. It looks like some issue with parallel processing, which I can't work out....

a1b2i3r45

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/faste ... iver-leap/

This will involve an 1850mm wide front wing - which is 200mm wider than the version currently used – and a rear wing that is 950mm wide and 800mm high.

The diffuser design will also be similar to how F1 cars were back in 2010, which should allow improved performance from the floor.

The idea now is for the tyres to be 300mm wide at the front and 400mm wide at the rear. Current tyres are 245mm wide at the front and 325mm wider at the rear.

can anyone give us a mock design based on this or is it too vague ?

Tozza Mazza

a1b2i3r45 wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/faste ... iver-leap/

This will involve an 1850mm wide front wing - which is 200mm wider than the version currently used – and a rear wing that is 950mm wide and 800mm high.

The diffuser design will also be similar to how F1 cars were back in 2010, which should allow improved performance from the floor.

The idea now is for the tyres to be 300mm wide at the front and 400mm wide at the rear. Current tyres are 245mm wide at the front and 325mm wider at the rear.

can anyone give us a mock design based on this or is it too vague ?
Thanks for the info,

I should be able to amend mine quickly to these numbers if we feel they're more accurate!

I will run again with paraview installed at version 3.9.8, I keep getting the same error at the post processing stage so will revise this and let you know if it persists.

TM

RicME85

Can confirm 3.9.8 fixes things, I ran a local test the other day for the first time on this installation and had similar issues that were fixed with that version of Paraview

scarbs

2010 diffuser spec; double diffusers?

Tozza Mazza

scarbs wrote:2010 diffuser spec; double diffusers?
I'd be very surprised, I'm more inclined to suspect an increase in height up to 175mm once more, with the distance between the reference plane and step of the floor being reduced from 50mm to 25mm.

toraabe

Why not venturi tunnels on the underside and skirts ? + wider tyres.

Tozza Mazza

toraabe wrote:Why not venturi tunnels on the underside and skirts ? + wider tyres.
I am keeping this design as close to the proposed regulations for 2017 based on what we know and what is rumoured.

Venturi tunnels and skirts are not proposed so I will not be incorporating them. Sorry!

toraabe

Tozza Mazza wrote:
toraabe wrote:Why not venturi tunnels on the underside and skirts ? + wider tyres.
I am keeping this design as close to the proposed regulations for 2017 based on what we know and what is rumoured.

Venturi tunnels and skirts are not proposed so I will not be incorporating them. Sorry!
Would just have been interesting how much faster or how much less wing you must put on if venturi tunnels and skirts were permitted. Shame actually since I think allowing full groundeffect, less front / rear wing would have F1 much more interesting ;)