How do you turn a Lamborghini Aventador into a GT racer?

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
jhietter

How do you turn a Lamborghini Aventador into a GT racer?

The Lamborghini Aventador is one of my favorite cars of the moment, I love its looks, power, and character. I also love the Lamborghini Murcielago R GT from a few years back, that raced in GT1. I would love to see a similar package for the Aventador.

So, if I were to build an Aventador GT car today, what would I have to consider and what changes would I need to make? I would like to know about stance, aerodynamics, weight reduction, everything.

To start, what are the biggest issues with the road car that would need to be changed for racing and how should the components causing those issues be changed?

DiogoBrand

Re: How do you turn a Lamborghini Aventador into a GT racer?

First you take the interior and the suspension, as well as the gearbox and probably the control electronics and throw them all away. Then you'll install a fully adjustable competition suspension, as well as an adjustable sequential gearbox, together with a race seat and steering wheel, replace the battery with a smaller and lighter one, replace the brakes, install a roll cage, develop, manufacture and instal an aero package, replace and move components to alter the weight and it's distribution, you'd need a race fuel cell, an emergency electric cut-out system as well as fire extinguisher system.

There's a lot more, that's what I can remember right now.

Edit:
On this article they talk with some detail what went into the making of the Continental GT3, that will probably give you a good idea of what would be needed to turn an aventador into a race car.
http://www.motormag.com.au/features/160 ... t3-racing/

jhietter

Thank you, that's a good start.

Would the car need to be made wider or given wider wheels and tires or is it already wide enough? What is "too wide" for body and wheels?

Also, what are the differences between the aero needs of the road car and what a race car requires? What about existing road car stands out as being poorly suited to racing, if anything? I would imagine the first changes would be increased downforce and increased cooling for engine and brakes.

Does this look like it makes sense as a race car or are its elements all show, not making aerodynamic or engineering sense?

jhietter

More specifically, can anyone provide suggestions for aerodynamic changes that would improve the performance and appearance?

graham.reeds

Improving appearance is rarely a concern in motor sports.

Thunder18

I imagine losing the awd system would be up there too in terms of weight saving and track performance but wider track is the norm too, just look at the new NSX GT3 and Huracan

mzivtins

pretty much all GT spec cars are what we call 'Wide body' this is just simply because of the wide footing of the car, you know, it improves handling by reducing roll etc?

You should be able to find quite a bit of information around homogolation of GT# spec cars.

The rule that is spoken about most is the air intake size, this limits the engines power output quite effectively.

Here is the actual appendix J article for GT3 cars, most of the regulations will dictate the visual outcome of the car, wings, splitters, materials used, interior, control electronics etc
http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.ns ... .2012).pdf
3.1.1) Bonnet and boot lids
They must have at least two safety fasteners, both of which are
clearly indicated by red (or contrasting colour) arrows.
I love these arrows, just look interesting and deffo shouts 'racecar'