[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Ft5fTL

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Markus wrote: That open source car sounds interesting, I did take part in KVRC a couple of years ago using sketchup but spent quite a bit of time trying to get the basics working which meant that it wasn't really possible to do any proper development.
Well i used 3ds max until now. If you have enough knowledge i think you can do well with sketchup.

I am meaning to ask for sometime now but i didnt needed that much until now. Is there a way to get the downforce and drag positions on paraview? (something similar to this : http://i.imgur.com/PzwPro5.gif)
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

rjsa

I've started a thread, hopefully to discuss CFD without overloading the challenge's one. My first question is there: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 14&t=25982

Any help welcome.

etsmc

Ft5fTL wrote: I am meaning to ask for sometime now but i didnt needed that much until now. Is there a way to get the downforce and drag positions on paraview? (something similar to this : http://i.imgur.com/PzwPro5.gif)
we did get a similar plot in the Monaco race.. it was the drag,lift Development plot but i don't remember seeing it in any other results.

Ft5fTL

etsmc wrote:
Ft5fTL wrote: I am meaning to ask for sometime now but i didnt needed that much until now. Is there a way to get the downforce and drag positions on paraview? (something similar to this : http://i.imgur.com/PzwPro5.gif)
we did get a similar plot in the Monaco race.. it was the drag,lift Development plot but i don't remember seeing it in any other results.
If there is a way simple numbers will do the trick for me. I dont need the graphic interface like on the oneclick cfd results.

CAEdevice

Hi, I was wondering about the challenge 2017 scheduling: I don't mean the calendar, but the number of "extreme df" races vs "efficiency" races. Will we start with extreme df tracks again? Or the tracks will be mixed up?

Ft5fTL

So i was checking the news and found out the Perrinn 2017 F1 car. I downloaded the cad file and tested it, i got rather low numbers:

Cd*A: 1.42606, Cl*A: -1.16912, Cl(frt)*A: -0.243604, Cl(rr)*A: -0.925512, CoP: 2.3749 m

For the record i couldnt test the coolings so it was closed shape around the intake. Could this numbers correct? To me it sounds very low.

CAEdevice

If the position of the car in the simulation box is correct (included vertical alignment), there results should be ok. I tested my car with a much finer mesh (12x10^6 cells) and they slightly changed (10% less drag, 5% more df).

I am not enthusiastic about Perrin cars: theye are very good demos but with quite basic CAD modeling and not refined aerodynamics.

In my opinion some KVRC cars (CSR) and MVRC cars (JJR, TF) have a more advanced development.

I wonder if Perrin team could be involved in our challenge someday.

RicME85

Probably not as they wouldnt want to get shown up. I too have thought the F1 cars they have designed (there has been a couple) have looked rather basic, almost like a Manor for lack of features.

rjsa

The actual MVRC races are run with the MVRC or the MVRC_LONG settings?

CAEdevice

Most of times MVRC template has been used. A higher number of iterations has been used only when there were convergence issues, but with the same mesh settings I suppose. To be sure we have to ask LDVH.

LVDH

Hi guys,
I was way too busy lately but have done some MVRC work finally once more. I will get in contact with Chris so we can finish up the new rules and most important the intro class car.
The post-processing now again contains the force development plot.
Right now I am investigating the cooling situation from last year. Digging into old CFD simulation suggest that the resistance coefficients were too low last year compared with the real world. My analytical results confirm that. Going through all old MVRC data shows me that we used d=100 and f=50. Is that true (I am not sure for strange reasons)?
I have prepared a DoE with various radiator duct geometries to help find design guide lines for you guys. I just need to understand at which porous resistance I will run them.
rjsa wrote:The actual MVRC races are run with the MVRC or the MVRC_LONG settings?
Right now, I am not sure myself but you can check by having a look at the template files in the default_settings folder in your installation. You can manipulate them if you like.

LVDH

OK, that was not a really good answer. If the cars appear to converge within the "mvrc" settings that is used. This is true most of the time for most cars. Sometimes I also used the "long" settings when cars were very close to each other. Luckily, this never changed positions as it usually did not affect the results by more than 0.03s.

CAEdevice

Hi LDVH, do you mean that next year the radiator will generate more resistance (= higher pressure drop?).
I would agree about that, it would lead to a more realistic cooling outlet design.

The required flow would remain the same?

LVDH

I am evaluating this right now. I think it should be increased a lot. But I also do not want to make it impossible to design a car.

Pierce89

Ft5fTL wrote:So i was checking the news and found out the Perrinn 2017 F1 car. I downloaded the cad file and tested it, i got rather low numbers:

Cd*A: 1.42606, Cl*A: -1.16912, Cl(frt)*A: -0.243604, Cl(rr)*A: -0.925512, CoP: 2.3749 m

For the record i couldnt test the coolings so it was closed shape around the intake. Could this numbers correct? To me it sounds very low.
The numbers don't look right. Way too low if you compare them with the cfd data on their website.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher