[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Alonso Fan

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

ok so I've completed my car today, but my combined file size is 100mb. what should I do?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

RicME85

Won't be racing this time. Haven't had chance to produce anything and currently 300 miles from home.

Good luck everyone!

TalnoRacing

CAEdevice wrote:What about the numbers in the files of the "post processing" directory?
There is a lot of data in them, but everything is "0".

CAEdevice

TalnoRacing wrote:
CAEdevice wrote:What about the numbers in the files of the "post processing" directory?
It looks like you have no geometry in your simulation (wind is blowing in an empty box). The files are correctly placed and scaled?
Last edited by CAEdevice on 03 Sep 2016, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

CAEdevice

Some data about the dimensions and locations of the parts are written into the command window by WFlow: if you copy and paste them here it would be easier to help.

cdsavage

Alonso Fan wrote:ok so I've completed my car today, but my combined file size is 100mb. what should I do?
What are you using to produce the model?

TalnoRacing

CAEdevice wrote:
TalnoRacing wrote:
It looks like you have no geometry in your simulation (wind is blowing in an empty box). The files are correctly placed and scaled?
Yes this is correct. When I open "case.foam" in Paraview, there is the bounding box only, no car.

My STL files are located in folders as per the readme document for WFlow. These are located under "car_monaco\input_files\geometry". When running the "mantiumwflow_mvrced_win.exe" it creates the "check_closed_stls.sh" and "runCase.sh" files.

CAEdevice

If you look at what Wflow writes in the command window, you could be sure that it is running in the correct folder.

Alonso Fan

cdsavage wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:ok so I've completed my car today, but my combined file size is 100mb. what should I do?
I'm using Sketchup, then exporting to .stl using a plugin. I've checked the .stl files in meshlab and all is good. They're just too big
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

CAEdevice

Alonso Fan wrote:
cdsavage wrote:
I'm using Sketchup, then exporting to .stl using a plugin. I've checked the .stl files in meshlab and all is good. They're just too big
If your plugin doesn't have any setting, you can try with meshlab, it has some functions to collapse triangles.

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:In case I had a new idea tonight: would it be possible to replace the submission (before the deadline) with an update, as we did last year?
Obviously yes. Ask Chris or Julien I always submitted multiple cars close the the deadline. I am almost sure it was never the best car in the end. Whatever you do the last car you submitted before I shut down the upload options will be the one you race with.

Well, you could try to find the export options in your CAD software and relax the accuracy settings of the stl export. Some teams have submitted their cars already and they only need a few MB, so it is possible to be well below 20MB and the car will look perfectly fine.
If you cannot find anything in your software you can use the OF utility called surfaceCoarsen or import the stl into Paraview and use the filter called decimate. You will get some sliders to play around with. As surface representation you should simply chose surface with edges and then play around with the sliders.

TalnoRacing wrote:Yes I checked again. This is the result in the solver file:

Coefficients
Cm : 0 (pressure: 0 viscous: 0)
Cd : 0 (pressure: 0 viscous: 0)
Cl : 0 (pressure: 0 viscous: 0)
Cl(f) : 0
Cl(r) : 0

I get this for each time interval.
It is probably a bit late to get this solved properly, but make sure to use ascii stl files (your uploaded files seem fine), make sure that MantiumWFlow does not show any warning or error messages and have a look at a line that should look something like this:

Code: Select all

('max BB dimensions: ', [-0.999986012615143, 4.00000000000001, -1.00596606731415, 1.00596606731415, -0.0500000007450581, 0.965000000000001])
These are the Xmin, Xmax,Ymin, Ymax, Zmin and Zmax values of your car. If you have scaled them incorrectly then the force measurements will not work as the car is either far too small or way to big. The next release of MantiumWFlow will show a warning for this.
Close to the end of all the MantiumWFlow text you should find something like this:

Code: Select all

('writting case: ', '.../MVRC/Monaco_2016/.../..._Race01_20160902')
... and done.
If not, you are doing something wrong. You can send me an email with the output, but it is late and I had some beer already so you might have to wait until tomorrow morning.

LVDH

I forgot, it is odd that Paraview cannot open your stl files. Other software opens them. Maybe you are using some odd format, strangely there seem to be many stl formats.
And I noticed something else super strange. Your stl files end with *.STL, try changing it to *.stl. If it works then we have another "bug" I have to fix in MantiumWFlow.

CAEdevice

Finally I did not upload any update, the gain in df was small and the cooling flow was the minimum required: I preferred to avoid risks.

I am running a test to compare the standard and the fast option: I have the impression that the fast option this year has a smart mesh and it can be more useful than last year.

Alonso Fan

thanks for the tutorial on making the .stl smaller, however I haven't got any of those options

SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

cdsavage

Have you had a look in the filters menu? I'm using 4.4.0 and I have a decimate filter under filters -> alphabetical -> decimate. After using it to modify the model you can save another STL using file -> save data.