Transit Van Drag/Lift?

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
garyjpaterson

Transit Van Drag/Lift?

Bit of an odd request here, but I'm trying to simulate a Mk6 Ford Transit (yes, the one that famously featured on Top Gear...), but am struggling to find any data on drag and lift.

The model I have made for the simulator is obviously not suitable for any CFD (as far as I'm aware) as it is made in 3DS Max and is polygon model based. However is it quite accurate and may be useful as 3d blueprints for making a rough CAD model.

Anyway, I'm basically here to request if anyone is willing and able to perhaps do a CFD run to try and help figure out the basic drag/lift coefficients are?

Obviously I'm not looking for super accurate numbers or anything, just a good ballpark to keep this projects somewhat grounded in reality. I have frontal area (3.45m^2), and currently I'm just guessing the CD and LD (0.4 and 0.1 respectively), but they could be way off the mark.

I'm thinking because its a van, it might be relatively straightforward to mock up a rough CAD model, but please put me straight if I'm asking too much!

Couple of pics to let you see what I'm working with:

flynfrog

Re: Transit Van Drag/Lift?

Id say your guesses for Cd are pretty good checking WIKI other vans and SUVs are around .4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobil ... efficients

Jolle

170 miles an hour in a transit van....

they did the calculations for your van in this episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXyiVKNQAdk

MadMatt

If you send me the external dimensions of the van and position/size of the wheels, and desired air speed, I can simulate for you.