[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

That peak at 500 iterations is where the numerical schemes change from first to second order.
The car with the good stls you submitted worked for me. I think you have issues because of, as you say, your massive RAM. You will need more.
But you were able to use CFD so well now, that you can now learn that creating the front downforce is one of two big challenges here. Your CoP is indeed pretty far behind. However you have the same issue everyone had with cooling. Getting the air through the radiators is challenge number 2.

schwepes

Thanks guys. I had to dust off my old workstation for this challenge. It has pretty good CPU, but I need to upgrade it with more RAM. I hope 8Gb will be enough.
Cooling was a big problem indeed. I had 60% of power at the base model and I have managed to double the airflow in 2 iterations to get over 80% of engine power, but it is still ~2/3 of required amount.

Alonso Fan

schwepes wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 20:26
Thanks guys. I had to dust off my old workstation for this challenge. It has pretty good CPU, but I need to upgrade it with more RAM. I hope 8Gb will be enough.
Cooling was a big problem indeed. I had 60% of power at the base model and I have managed to double the airflow in 2 iterations to get over 80% of engine power, but it is still ~2/3 of required amount.
i use 8gb and can confirm it's fine

a note on improving cooling performance: moving the suspension templates can help (up or down is up to you :))
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

schwepes

Alonso Fan wrote: i use 8gb and can confirm it's fine

a note on improving cooling performance: moving the suspension templates can help (up or down is up to you :))
Thanks for the tip. I have moved front suspension down but I think my concept was generally too "agressive" for the beginner (hx rotation, very low suspension, side cooling outlets...). I need to work out some good basic concept. Hope we will have similar rules for next year :)

CAEdevice

Hi schwepes, I have another tip: the lower surface of your front wing is too far from the ground. Try to lower it using a thicker profile: just keep the leading edge at the same height and make the lower surface wing "more rounded".

schwepes

CAEdevice wrote:Hi schwepes, I have another tip: the lower surface of your front wing is too far from the ground. Try to lower it using a thicker profile: just keep the leading edge at the same height and make the lower surface wing "more rounded".
I had a problem with diffuser when I used front splitter, so I have tried "higher" front setup. Need to check it again..

CAEdevice

schwepes wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 23:28
CAEdevice wrote:Hi schwepes, I have another tip: the lower surface of your front wing is too far from the ground. Try to lower it using a thicker profile: just keep the leading edge at the same height and make the lower surface wing "more rounded".
I had a problem with diffuser when I used front splitter, so I have tried "higher" front setup. Need to check it again..
Do you mean not enough air too feed the diffuser? Which kind of problem?

schwepes

I think there was not enough air and I was able to feed only center part of the diffuser (which was not perfect in terms of geometry - too steep). But I need some more data for comparision with previous runs.

CAEdevice

schwepes wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 23:47
I think there was not enough air and I was able to feed only center part of the diffuser (which was not perfect in terms of geometry - too steep). But I need some more data for comparision with previous runs.
I think it is a common problem :)

rjsa

I don't know if this was discussed before, but here it goes:

By mistake when switching cad tools I had a tad of rake on everything but the central 30cm of my floor one time along development. It did make a lot of difference. I guess it could give new ways of development. Can some space for that be considered on the 2018 rulebook?Could be the widening of the floor guide 3?

LVDH

I think there is a good possibility to integrate that for next year. I will have a look.

CAEdevice

I am doing a lot of simulations (including pitch and floor height sensitivity) for the driving simulator project I am working on (with Gary Paterson who is doing most of the job): I will release a summary of all the data in about a month.

Btw: I am shipping the books

LVDH

Ok guys,
I hope you are ready for the results. I have a feeling there is a surprise waiting for you.

julien.decharentenay

Dear MVRC Participants,

After dropping out of the KVRC organisation totally, I am thrilled and proud to see the great work that MVRC is doing and the great designs that you as participants are coming with.

I am also very excited to have the opportunity to announce the results of the last MVRC race for the 2017 season at the Le Mans racetrack. Can CAE Device take a 4th win? And can Brooke Motorsport make it a clean sweep of the 2017 Intro Class?

Let's have a look at the head-to-head laps at:

https://youtu.be/o07oOQqX3S4

Before coming back for the race and season results...

Julien

julien.decharentenay

And the Le Mans race results are:
  • First place: CAE device
  • Second place: Variante
  • Third place: JJR
In the Intro class championship:
  • First place: Brooke Motorsport