[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Hi, depending on the new rules (expecially about Chris' exertion during the rule check and about the "intro class" ) as soon as some data will be available, I could a start a promotional activity, addressed espcially to professional engineering services providers and motorport "advanced" fans in Italy. Would it make sense to have a larger number of teams?

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 12:56
Hi, depending on the new rules (expecially about Chris' exertion during the rule check and about the "intro class" ) as soon as some data will be available, I could a start a promotional activity, addressed espcially to professional engineering services providers and motorport "advanced" fans in Italy. Would it make sense to have a larger number of teams?
Sounds cool, while I do not know how to manage the workload, I do want more teams. I am now working on the new software. As soon as that is done, we can get into promotion. The new rules I have come up with are minor and mainly cause work for me, so I guess Chris and Richard should be fine with them. Maybe we will know more next week.

rjsa
rjsa

Any idea what could be causing this? The mesh looks fine as far as I can see:
Create time

Create mesh for time = 0

Read mesh in = 0.19 s
--> FOAM Warning :
From function entry::getKeyword(keyType&, Istream&)
in file db/dictionary/entry/entryIO.C at line 80
Reading /home/openfoam/run/dev2018_v36/system/snappyHexMeshDict
found on line 101 the label 2018
expected either } or EOF
[0]
[0]
[0] --> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
[0] keyword castellatedMeshControls is undefined in dictionary "/home/openfoam/run/dev2018_v36/processor0/system/snappyHexMeshDict"
[0]
[0] file: /home/openfoam/run/dev2018_v36/processor0/system/snappyHexMeshDict from line 10 to line 117.
[0]
[0] From function const Foam::dictionary& Foam::dictionary::subDict(const Foam::word&) const
[0] in file db/dictionary/dictionary.C at line 642.
[0]
FOAM parallel run exiting

CAEdevice

Dev2018_v36...

I am still at Dev2017_v2 :)

rjsa
rjsa

I'm using Fusion 360 and it versions each and every save, it's actually the 3rd run ;)

CAEdevice

rjsa wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 22:17
I'm using Fusion 360 and it versions each and every save, it's actually the 3rd run ;)
I see. Honestly I have to say that although I have not simulated a 2018 car, I am doing a lot of "mental" CFD and 2017 post processing.

PS: maybe you renamed/moved the working directory after running Mflow but before launching the runcase.sh command?

rjsa
rjsa

CAEdevice wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 23:06
rjsa wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 22:17
I see. Honestly I have to say that although I have not simulated a 2018 car, I am doing a lot of "mental" CFD and 2017 post processing.

PS: maybe you renamed/moved the working directory after running Mflow but before launching the runcase.sh command?
Got it, happened before, STL names starting with numbers.

CAEdevice

I can't wait and see if there is the possibility to rotate the heat exchangers in any diretction or at least in two alternative directions.

CAEdevice

I have found this on YouTube (thanks to Gary Paterson who is working on the AssettoCorsa model of my 2017 car).

I hope this is useful to kill the time.
Last edited by CAEdevice on 18 Mar 2018, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.

CAEdevice

Meanwhile, I was looking at the heat exchangers of LMP1-LMP2 and F1 cars. I have the suspect that our hx have a slightly lower pressure/energy drop and that the required flow rate is a bit overestimated.

Alonso Fan

CAEdevice wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 21:45
I have found this on YouTube (thanks to Gary Paterson who is working on the AssettoCorsa model of my 2017 car).

https://youtu.be/CoBYzb4uyEY

This is going to be awesome to drive!

Would Gary mind if, when I have some spare time, I could make a Porsche 919 sound for it?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

CAEdevice

Alonso Fan wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 02:32
I tested it at an earlier development stage: the original tyres and suspension angles (with MVRC dimensions and specs) made the car difficult to drive. Meanwhile Gary did a very good tuning job, introducing a more detailed tyre simulation model and now the car improved very much. I hope it will be released soon.
Alonso Fan wrote:
Would Gary mind if, when I have some spare time, I could make a Porsche 919 sound for it?
It will be be an open source project once released, so any improvement will be welcome.

garyjpaterson

Alonso Fan wrote:

It is awesome to drive, IMO much preferable to the LMP1's as its RWD with a lot less interference and things to manage with regards to the hybrid system. A lot more 'pure' of a driving experience in a sense.

As for SFX - please do! There are plenty of us model makers and guys who do physics, but there is always a shortage of SFX guys, so if anyone wants to dip into the Sound making stuff then we would love that!

CAEdevice wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 11:05
I tested it at an earlier development stage: the original tyres and suspension angles (with MVRC dimensions and specs) made the car difficult to drive. Meanwhile Gary did a very good tuning job, introducing a more detailed tyre simulation model and now the car improved very much. I hope it will be released soon.
Its quite easy to drive for now, as the aero is very stable (almost static right now). Once Jackson finishes the aero files based on your CFD that respond to height/AOA/yaw etc, I think it will become much trickier (and of course realistic) to drive, with the added challenge of trying to find a setup that gives a stable aero platform.

Can't wait to get to that stage, hopefully not too long!

Also looking forward to following everyone's progress again this season, really enjoyed it in 2017, keen to see how everyone evolves :)

Alonso Fan

That's great! I won't be able to lend my services straight away though because of university work but maybe in a month or two :)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

machin

CAEdevice wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 21:45

That video is seriously cool... =D> =D>

CAEdevice wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 21:48
Meanwhile, I was looking at the heat exchangers of LMP1-LMP2 and F1 cars. I have the suspect that our hx have a slightly lower pressure/energy drop and that the required flow rate is a bit overestimated.
The required flow rate through the heat exchanger depends on the design of the heat exchangers... maybe ours aren't so efficient, so you need more air flow?! :D

On a more serious note: Andre and I have been discussing this very aspect recently, so there might be some tweaks to the heat exchanger parameters for 2018....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH