[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

machin wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 14:57
The required flow rate through the heat exchanger depends on the design of the heat exchangers... maybe ours aren't so efficient, so you need more air flow?! :D
:) I am not sure I was able to explain.

During 2017 I had a flow that I could easily tuned between 3.0 and 3.5 m3/s.

My impression was that the pressure/energy drop was a bit to small since I could obtain that flow without using all the section area available in my cooling ducts. There is a kind of internal separation despite the ducts had a very mild expansion rate if compared to many "real" designs. I think that a slightly higher pressure/energy drop could lead to a more realistic design of the ducts.

rjsa

Matteo, I still didn't get the book. You should be wondering by now why the rude Brazilian didn't say thanks but it never got here....

Thanks again for the offer!

CAEdevice

rjsa wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 19:52
Matteo, I still didn't get the book. You should be wondering by now why the rude Brazilian didn't say thanks but it never got here....

Thanks again for the offer!
I am sorry about that.

This is the latest email received from TotalBooks (an Amazon reseller):

Shipping Carrier: Royal Mail
Ship Date: December 19, 2017
Shipping Speed: Standard
Carrier Tracking ID: Tracking Unavailable

The delivery was expected around January 30th... I will try to get in touch with the reseller.

rjsa

Ok, thanks, post can get reall slow here...

CAEdevice

rjsa wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 21:26
Hi Rjsa,the reseller asked me to wait a couple of weeks before asking for a refound.
I am not sure to risk with another delivery: would it be ok to send you an Amazon Gift Card? I know it is not the same charm as the book...

rjsa

CAEdevice wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 12:09
rjsa wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 21:26
Hi Rjsa,the reseller asked me to wait a couple of weeks before asking for a refound.
I am not sure to risk with another delivery: would it be ok to send you an Amazon Gift Card? I know it is not the same charm as the book...
Thanks Matteo, and lets wait.

And if you do get a refund Kindle is a sensible idea, I'm hooked on it.

CAEdevice

Hi, I was thinking about the HX rotation next year.

What about adding a txt file in the submission package, with only two numbers inside (degree of rotation of the right heat exchanger around Y and Z axes) and than making WFlow compute the versors e1 and e2 (e3 is orthogonal to both) used to correctly apply Darcy's coefficents to the porous volume? It would not be a completly automated process, but quite easy to manage.

schwepes

HX rotation would be a nice change to the last year regulations... if we will stay with WEC type bodywork for this year competition ;). Because it is not decided yet?

CAEdevice

schwepes wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 10:05
HX rotation would be a nice change to the last year regulations... if we will stay with WEC type bodywork for this year competition ;). Because it is not decided yet?
At the moment a F1 like HX rotation is already possible, but it would be great to have a Porsche LMP1 style HX:

CAEdevice

Congratulations Gary, great job, very realistic. The car looks much better that in cfd post processing!

It would be wonderful to join CFD competition and simracing in the future.

variante

Pretty cool! I love those headlights!
Is the model finished and ready to be driven?

Keep such updates coming...they will keep us entertained until the new MVRC season begins (and it looks like it will take a long time...)

garyjpaterson

variante wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 16:12

Keep such updates coming...they will keep us entertained until the new MVRC season begins (and it looks like it will take a long time...)
Thanks, those headlights have been bothering me for so long trying to come up with something I liked!

I have always liked the taillights though, was very easy to integrate a cool looking design into the model:

3D model is more or less finished, still gonna add some detail especially to the interior whenever i have time. Got some tweaks to make to the livery which won't take any time at all.
Not quite ready to drive, at least not in a finished state. We have someone else help integrate the physics in a much more accurate and detailed manner than I ever could, though as always we are all super busy - hope it won't be too long. In the mean time its just small optimisation jobs left, by the time the physics are signed off it should be fully ready for release with all the same details and performance as any official car in the sim :)

CAEdevice

garyjpaterson wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 16:19
variante wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 16:12

Thanks, those headlights have been bothering me for so long trying to come up with something I liked!

I have always liked the taillights though, was very easy to integrate a cool looking design into the model:

https://i.imgur.com/8uXYC0U.jpg

3D model is more or less finished, still gonna add some detail especially to the interior whenever i have time. Got some tweaks to make to the livery which won't take any time at all.
Not quite ready to drive, at least not in a finished state. We have someone else help integrate the physics in a much more accurate and detailed manner than I ever could, though as always we are all super busy - hope it won't be too long. In the mean time its just small optimisation jobs left, by the time the physics are signed off it should be fully ready for release with all the same details and performance as any official car in the sim :)
Gary not only did a great job with the 3D model and suspensions/tyres tuning... he also involed an expert about driving simulations physics so that we will have "dynamic" aero properties!

I am sorry that the car is only 2017 rule compliant... I hoped the 2018 rulebook would have been released in time. Anyway, the car will be very very realistic. Thanks again, Gary!

Alonso Fan

This is excellent! Maybe I can find some free time to start on the sound. How high does the engine of the car rev Gary?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa