[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

variante wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 17:10
I've always liked the KVRC feature of posting "non intrusive" CFD images after each round.
Good point for the next year.

My suggestions are:

1) 3D models in an html page, possibility to rotate them but with some limits (in order to replicate what is actually visible in a real track).
Here is an example: https://www.webrotate360.com/examples/b ... raphy.aspx

2) Smoke like streamlines (no color for scalar quantity, just grey) around the car, starting from a defined line/lines. It would replicate what happens in real track when it rains or there is smoke or humidity (es. https://scarbsf1.files.wordpress.com/20 ... tices1.jpg )

3) No batman/zorro mask ( http://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content/ ... 35x390.png )on the cars before the race (this is the most important point :D )

rjsa

Or if Machin colud model Indy we could have an off season race after a full exposé of all cars willing to take oart.

machin

Personally I say release the CFD images after the submission deadline, but before race; it's too late to make changes by then and it would give us all something to talk about and try and predict the race results...

We could do Indy but I think out-of-season races should be limited because of the additional workload on Andre and Chris....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

rjsa

There's that... Not really kind to our hosts my idea.

And yep, release afyer submission is a good idea.

machin

OK... So I have had a play with CAESES... and I'm pretty impressed! It is really cool.... (I added wheels to the screengrab!)

Now where do I get some suspension covers from?!

rjsa

Photobucket is blocking remote hosting here.

machin

Damn; it looked cool...

LVDH

Hi guys,
there is an update to the rulebook and MantiumFlow. You can find both on the challenge page. Please read the rules for the last race. Also I just right now remembered that I forgot something in the software update. You can now create higher radiators. The software will warn you though if it is higher than 450mm. As long as you are sure to be in the new limits you can ignore that.

I have also been looking into the TF case from two races ago and Variante's issues last race. While I still do not know what happened with TF, the issue with Variante was a bad measuring surface for the radiator flow. Please keep the post about measuring porous media flow in OF in mind: http://mantiumchallenge.com/porous-media-openfoam/

Also you can include the log files from your simulations to your race submissions if you like. I will then have a look after my simulation is done and compare the two. This will help to more easily spot discrepancies. If I can then do something about them is a different question.

CAEdevice

Thank you! Now the max height of the hx (before the rotation) is 500mm. Am I right?

Alonso Fan

Will my last entry be legal? I don't really have much time to check and modify anything at the moment
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

RicME85

machin wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 15:03
RicME85 wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 20:38
Im am ecstatic at that result..... The car I submitted was made solely in CAESES using my phone on the Sunday hours before deadline with no testing, just a general idea of how things have worked and what I wanted from the package.

If anything, it shows how competitive someone using the CAESES geometry builder can be without any real work.
That is really good! So the output from the CAESES builder is sufficient to make a fully compliant car; i.e. no need to model any additional bodywork (like suspension covers)? I really must take a look at it... but every time I think about it I am at work and the Mantium website is blocked by our fire wall! :(
Sorry, only just seen this. It is yeah (as you have seen now that you have messed around with it) but the model uploaded doesnt have the suspension covers the actual Intro chassis has so you have to keep that in mind when designing the front wing/diffuser as the geometry CAESES outputs can intersect the covers.
It really is a great tool for getting into the competition or even working on baselines.

cdsavage

CAEdevice wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 23:08
Thank you! Now the max height of the hx (before the rotation) is 500mm. Am I right?
Yes, just a small increase for now.

Alonso Fan wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 00:47
Will my last entry be legal? I don't really have much time to check and modify anything at the moment
From memory, none of the changes should affect your car in any major way.

machin

RicME85 wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 15:40
...the model [shown on CAESES] doesnt have the suspension covers the actual Intro chassis has so you have to keep that in mind when designing the front wing/diffuser as the geometry CAESES outputs can intersect the covers.
Ok, cool... Andre (LVDH) can the suspension covers be added in to the CAESES viewer?

If we have a CAESES model builder next year I will definitely run a car in the competition... Even if it is a non-point-scoring entry... I love the diversity of the full entry cars, but I think the CAESES approach could really help the championship grow... It would be excellent for use as a teaching tool by schools/colleges/universities.

Another question for Andre; I presume that the cars generated by the CAESES builder generally go through the CFD process without any issues?

CAEdevice

cdsavage wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 18:08
CAEdevice wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 23:08
Yes, just a small increase for now.
Thanks, 600mm would be perfect with the new rotation rule, but 500mm it's ok anyway.

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 19:20
If we have a CAESES model builder next year I will definitely run a car in the competition... Even if it is a non-point-scoring entry...
Why not point scoring? If you don't have access to the geometry, there is no reason to not receive points.
It will be great to have you in the challenge.