[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
machin

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Well done getting a car ready; that means you'll be able to hit the track running next season! 👍
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

rjsa

I managed a little gain and submitted an updated version. So I 'm not repeating last races's car like I said I could.

AratzH

Uploaded.... Not super happy (first I am late, second performance is far from what's needed).
I have to do some analysis and figure out where I lost track in the development. I was able to increase front DF a lot from last year but totally unable to compensate on the rear without using rear wings... Depending on what rules we chose to follow next year I might have to think of a different approach to the "flow trough" ](*,)

MVRC -> TF

LVDH

RicME85 wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 16:11
LVDH wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 18:49
I cannot wait!

I hope you guys are ready for the final race. Has anyone tried the updated CAESES App? I think what you can now do with the floor should get a lot more performance out of the cars.
I did, I posted about it just above your post.

Can I use the car from the last race please, I dont havent had time to do anything due to health deteriorating at this time of year. I hate winter and I hate Christmas :D
The winter might have a god ending. You could possible win the MVRC Intro class with five victories in a row. Even four out of five should be a nice end to the year.

We have two new teams. The Green Melon is back and we now have SRacing, which I assume is run by "Schwepes"?

schwepes

LVDH wrote:...and we now have SRacing, which I assume is run by "Schwepes"?
Correct

rjsa

LVDH wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 12:15

The winter might have a god ending. You could possible win the MVRC Intro class with five victories in a row. Even four out of five should be a nice end to the year.

We have two new teams. The Green Melon is back and we now have SRacing, which I assume is run by "Schwepes"?

LVDH, I have switched workflow. Most of the model now comes without that post processing I used before to reduce size.

Some stuff is still old, like the streaks within diffusers.

I have seen a difference in t DF/Drag, but not in processing time.

Please let me know what you think of the body meshing now.

LVDH

It looks like your car is better now. Now I have to zoom in much more to see the issues. The stl represents the original geometry better than before. Only on sharp edges and corners you still have issues. Overall there are many many needle like triangles, which is not good but does not hurt too much. But it shows that the algorithm you are using is not very good.

The new car from SRacing also has quiet some issues with the tessellation. Maybe Schwepes can send me the original CAD data, so I can at least create a cool render.

machin

LVDH wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 12:15
The Green Melon is back...
I promise you that I did not enter the team called "Machin's Shiny Melon"!!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

schwepes

LVDH wrote:It looks like your car is better now. Now I have to zoom in much more to see the issues. The stl represents the original geometry better than before. Only on sharp edges and corners you still have issues. Overall there are many many needle like triangles, which is not good but does not hurt too much. But it shows that the algorithm you are using is not very good.

The new car from SRacing also has quiet some issues with the tessellation. Maybe Schwepes can send me the original CAD data, so I can at least create a cool render.
Ok, I will send it today. STP file will be ok?

CAEdevice

AratzH wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 02:36
Uploaded.... Not super happy (first I am late, second performance is far from what's needed).
I have to do some analysis and figure out where I lost track in the development. I was able to increase front DF a lot from last year but totally unable to compensate on the rear without using rear wings... Depending on what rules we chose to follow next year I might have to think of a different approach to the "flow trough" ](*,)

https://ibb.co/kx4NkG
Why do you exclude to use a rear wing?

machin

I guess if he can get enough rear downforce from the floor/diffuser to balance the front then the rear wing is not necessary...?

I am hoping we see someone with a really low drag configuration so we can watch them streak ahead on the Mulsanne and then see if others can catch them later in the Porsche Curves!!!

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 15:23
I guess if he can get enough rear downforce from the floor/diffuser to balance the front then the rear wing is not necessary...?

I am hoping we see someone with a really low drag configuration so we can watch them streak ahead on the Mulsanne and then see if others can catch them later in the Porsche Curves!!!
The rear wing (for the best teams) has an efficiency ratio around 7.5, so there is no reason to not use it (if well designed).

In my case, the efficiency of the rear wing is probably is lower, but I use it anyway because, positioned at a lower height than allowed, it helps the "extraction" of the air form the diffuser and from the cooling outlets.

About the low downforce: it depends on the car layout. With my layout, the extreme low downforce setup is not the most efficient one (I'm running with a medium df level at Le Mans).

LVDH

schwepes wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 14:58
LVDH wrote:It looks like your car is better now. Now I have to zoom in much more to see the issues. The stl represents the original geometry better than before. Only on sharp edges and corners you still have issues. Overall there are many many needle like triangles, which is not good but does not hurt too much. But it shows that the algorithm you are using is not very good.

Ok, I will send it today. STP file will be ok?
STP is perfect.

CAEdevice wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 15:33
machin wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 15:23

The rear wing (for the best teams) has an efficiency ratio around 7.5, so there is no reason to not use it (if well designed).

In my case, the efficiency of the rear wing is probably is lower, but I use it anyway because, positioned at a lower height than allowed, it helps the "extraction" of the air form the diffuser and from the cooling outlets.

About the low downforce: it depends on the car layout. With my layout, the extreme low downforce setup is not the most efficient one (I'm running with a medium df level at Le Mans).
A good rear wing should even be better than 7.5. The problem is what the efficiency of the front down force generation to balance the car costs. I think running without rear wing can be a very good idea.

schwepes

LVDH wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 16:09
STP is perfect.
I have uploaded STL with much better tesselation. If it's not good enough, I will send stp.

LVDH

Actually it is now pretty good (at least at first sight). MAybe you can explain how you did it. You are so far the fastest learner when it comes to improving the stl quality.