My Bar Honda F1 car (2001) up and running 030-004

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
f1pilot
9
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:47 am

Re: My Bar Honda F1 car (2001) up and running 030-004

Post by f1pilot » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:17 pm

bauc wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:20 am
Congratulations for your huge efforts and investment to bring this old beast back to life.
Thanks for the kudos, it was really an amazing journey. Especially as lots of F1 car rebuilders want to take massive short cuts like removing the F1 transmission, or adding a clutch peddle instead of making the system work so the clutch is on the steering wheel, and the list goes on!

f1pilot
9
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:47 am

Re: My Bar Honda F1 car (2001) up and running 030-004

Post by f1pilot » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:18 pm

I created this blog page for my F1 car and other car adventures. https://drivetribe.com/t/cars-cars-but- ... 2dkdAe2IOw

Mr Nür
0
User avatar
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:37 pm

Re: My Bar Honda F1 car (2001) up and running 030-004

Post by Mr Nür » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:31 pm

Congratulations! This is great.

George-Jung
29
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: My Bar Honda F1 car (2001) up and running 030-004

Post by George-Jung » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:58 pm

Awesome!

That moment when you gave it full throttle; haha!! Must be have been an amazing feeling.

HondaRaceReplica
-3
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:35 pm

Re: My Bar Honda F1 car (2001) up and running 030-004

Post by HondaRaceReplica » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:43 pm

f1pilot wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:44 pm
We upgraded to Cosworth engine which will travel 2,000 kilometers before rebuild. It is a full v-10 engine so it has lots of power. Honda does not sell their engines but if McLaren can't get them to run, I surely won't be able to help them. haha

Thanks for the congrats, and I know there have been lots of proposed project on this forum but this is a real challenge to get an F1 car running. It is impossible to get it to run correctly if you don't own the rights. The hydraulic portion of the car is especially challenging, but if you can make it work, using the clutch off the steering wheel is a very interesting way to see a fly by wire system at it's best.

Dan
They sure got them to work for four Constructor Championships in a row from 87-91....but of course its all about what have you done for me lately....Calling your new engine an "Upgrade" is also a stretch.....

HondaRaceReplica
-3
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:35 pm

Re: My Bar Honda F1 car (2001) up and running 030-004

Post by HondaRaceReplica » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:45 pm

f1pilot wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:17 pm
bauc wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:20 am
Congratulations for your huge efforts and investment to bring this old beast back to life.
Thanks for the kudos, it was really an amazing journey. Especially as lots of F1 car rebuilders want to take massive short cuts like removing the F1 transmission, or adding a clutch peddle instead of making the system work so the clutch is on the steering wheel, and the list goes on!
or not using a period correct RA001E V10 engine.....

ojlopez
5
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:33 pm
Location: Guatemala

Re: My Bar Honda F1 car (2001) up and running 030-004

Post by ojlopez » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:47 pm

Trully a dream come true. Congratulations!

f1pilot
9
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:47 am

Re: My Bar Honda F1 car (2001) up and running 030-004

Post by f1pilot » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:33 pm

Thanks guys, it was a really involved project and to make this a reality is surreal. Yes it was amazing hearing the F1 come to life the first time, it was even more exciting driving it for the first time!!!

I do have to say the journey was amazing. It was frustrating even owning the rights to the car because the components are all specific to the 2001 Bar Honda. As you all know, this was rebuilt to be exactly like the original car with engine upgrades and electronic upgrades. However, I have been looking for rims for the 2001 season and they are nowhere to be found. So refabricating may be necessary from OZ or BBS so I have more than two sets. We are really down to the last minor items, but the car is just ZEN.

I will post more once the weather is better and we are all out of hibernation. :) Or please feel free to ask questions, I will try to answer them.

f1pilot
9
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:47 am

Re: My Bar Honda F1 car (2001) up and running 030-004

Post by f1pilot » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:42 pm

HondaRaceReplica wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:45 pm
f1pilot wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:17 pm
bauc wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:20 am
Congratulations for your huge efforts and investment to bring this old beast back to life.
Thanks for the kudos, it was really an amazing journey. Especially as lots of F1 car rebuilders want to take massive short cuts like removing the F1 transmission, or adding a clutch peddle instead of making the system work so the clutch is on the steering wheel, and the list goes on!
or not using a period correct RA001E V10 engine.....
I think you should actually ask questions instead of speaking without any knowledge of what it takes to rebuild an F1 or period specific F1 cars and rights.
To help you understand, you can't have a honda engine, they were all crushed, they wont sell them, it is impossible. So period specific engines are impossible, no less the kilometers and reliablity of my current engine far surpasses Honda.
Last edited by Steven on Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Remove gratuitous negativity towards Honda 2017 and personal comments

bill shoe
231
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA

Re: My Bar Honda F1 car (2001) up and running 030-004

Post by bill shoe » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:47 am

Beautiful car, wonderful to see it running instead of being turned into a static museum display.

How did you attach the Cosworth into the chassis and transmission that were made to connect to a Honda? The bolt/stud patterns on the front and rear of the engines were not standardized then, were they?

f1pilot
9
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:47 am

Re: My Bar Honda F1 car (2001) up and running 030-004

Post by f1pilot » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:59 am

bill shoe wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:47 am
Beautiful car, wonderful to see it running instead of being turned into a static museum display.

How did you attach the Cosworth into the chassis and transmission that were made to connect to a Honda? The bolt/stud patterns on the front and rear of the engines were not standardized then, were they?
Hi Bill,

We fully had to engineer the connections to the chassis and the transmission from scratch. The patterns we connected through a new interface plate so that it is structural using the original patterns on all connection points. All my mechanics are from F1 teams and specifically engineers from F1 teams, so we have all of the updated 3d graphic files of the components in hand.

I hope that was helpful. Are you rebuilding something fun to come out and drive with?

bill shoe
231
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA

Re: My Bar Honda F1 car (2001) up and running 030-004

Post by bill shoe » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:57 am

f1pilot wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:59 am
Are you rebuilding something fun to come out and drive with?
Ha!, my fun car is an old VW van that's fun in part because it's so slow.

f1pilot
9
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:47 am

Re: My Bar Honda F1 car (2001) up and running 030-004

Post by f1pilot » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:07 am

bill shoe wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:57 am
f1pilot wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:59 am
Are you rebuilding something fun to come out and drive with?
Ha!, my fun car is an old VW van that's fun in part because it's so slow.
BIll, I have a great idea for you, and it comes form the Espace F1. I think you will remember that fun project from Renault. Google it and I think you will be ready for a crazy track day VW. :)