[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
etsmc

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Team_Bart wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 13:11
etsmc wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 09:23
anyone having issues of slower simulations with the new version of Mantiumflow 2018.07c?
each time iteration seems to have increased, on the fast setting they are now taking around 24 seconds where previously they were in the region of 8 seconds..
I think it was slower for me too (first a fast simulation was about 8 hours, now it was about 14, while I added some cores), but since it was only my second run with this settings I thought it was due to the added elements in my model.
Restarted the machine and all back to normal again so not sure. try restarting after updating..
mine is back to 8-10 seconds for each timed iteration

RicME85

Ran my first simulation of season yesterday, was also the first one since changing my FX8320 to a Ryzen 3 2200G. Ran a MVRC_Fast and it was 3.5hrs which was a vast improvement over the old CPU. Whether that was down to the better single core performance or a combination of NMVe SSD plus faster RAM plus newer CPU I dont know but for the cost (a £100 CPU) and the yearly running cost (TDP is a lot lower so running simulations is cheaper) I am very happy.
Proof will be in a normal MVRC setting however.

LVDH

Hi guys,
I have repaired the login issue on the homepage and with some help of my better half added the new team section. As you can see so far only eight teams have signed up. First I thought this is to hide the car for as long as possible but without access to the new software I think this might not be such a good strategy. I hope more will sing up soon. I am sure we will not be stuck with only eight cars but some more would be good to see.

About the runtime issues:
From my side, almost nothing has changed on the CFD side. There are a few more cells in the front wing area to work with the new rake possibilities but that is it. If you still have older logs on your PC you could check how much bigger the meshes are now. What has changed is the blueCFD version. Maybe it is a bit slower now. Someone with both versions on their system could maybe check. Also because of all these security issues with CPUs (Spectre, Meltdown, ...) there have been many patches rolled out which have shown to have slowed down the CPUs. Maybe this is a big factor for CFD.

JJR
JJR

Hi , I haven ´t signed too because I ´m to lazy to do rendering of my car :) . I hope to force myself nex week.

Team_Bart

Does anyone know where I can hand in my car?

LVDH

JJR wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 11:38
Hi , I haven ´t signed too because I ´m to lazy to do rendering of my car :) . I hope to force myself nex week.
You were one of the reasons I wondered if this would be a good new policy as I knew it would be hard for you to go this extra step.
One reason I implemented this, is that very many people apply for the championship just to get access to my software. This would be fine, as I do not mind people using it and helping me find bugs and other improvements. Somehow I found out that often people would use the results though for certain projects. This is problematic as the MVRC Edition of MantiumFlow only works for the cars out of the championship as many parameters which the full version can automatically set are fixed i.e. the wheelbase. I was a bit worried that this could shed a wrong light on my software, as the results would not be correct, possibly by quite a lot.

Team_Bart wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 12:27
Does anyone know where I can hand in my car?
This Sunday you will receive an email about this. If you need to submit earlier for some reason, you can just make it available to me in some manner or send me an email so I can provide you with a Dropbox link.

Team_Bart

I send you a PM LVDH.

BTW, the fast MantiumFlow template is fast again! Probably I did something wrong, but anyway it isn't in the software :)

LVDH

One week to go for the first race!

I have sent out the email with with car submission link today. If it did not reach you for some reason, please let me know or make or car available by your own means.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 10:33

I have sent out the email with with car submission link today. If it did not reach you for some reason, please let me know or make or car available by your own means.
Hi, I am back from a short vacation and I have found the email.

I noticed interesting details in JJR's car, despite he showed only one frontal image.
Any news about Variante and TF?

AratzH

CAEdevice wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 11:05
LVDH wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 10:33

Hi, I am back from a short vacation and I have found the email.

I noticed interesting details in JJR's car, despite he showed only one frontal image.
Any news about Variante and TF?
Hi all!
I've been reading the forum regularly and intend to take part this year again but haven't had the time to register. Is it today the submission date? If so I will skip the LeMans race #-o but I'll be there for the next.
MVRC -> TF

CAEdevice

We have about 1 week before the submission (12th August)... not vet much if you start from scratch, but I hope to see you at LeMans.

etsmc

All last season the issue was finding front downforce to balance the car.. now its finding rear downforce !!! aggghhhhh

LVDH

AratzH wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 16:43
Hi all!
I've been reading the forum regularly and intend to take part this year again but haven't had the time to register. Is it today the submission date? If so I will skip the LeMans race #-o but I'll be there for the next.
Just register and I will send the email, no problem.

Ft5fTL

etsmc wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 06:52
All last season the issue was finding front downforce to balance the car.. now its finding rear downforce !!! aggghhhhh
I still struggle with the front downforce. Creating it without causing too much drag and without disrupting the cooling flow is somehow very hard to me.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

CAEdevice

Ft5fTL wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 11:58
etsmc wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 06:52
I still struggle with the front downforce. Creating it without causing too much drag and without disrupting the cooling flow is somehow very hard to me.
Maybe a small (-0,1 or -0,2°) rake angle could help?