[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Lets say, I never had the time to properly take car of the intro class. The idea was that you get a car without front and rear wings and without the diffuser. You can then add those and additional parts to the car and only submit these parts. I am not sure if Matteo built a car without the mentioned parts. As right now you are the only intro class participant, you can just submit his car and you get full points. This issue has to get fixed pretty fast though to give other people a good reason to joint the intro class.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 19:05
I am not sure if Matteo built a car without the mentioned parts.
Yes, I confirm. I released a step version that is an assembly with separate wings (and other parts). I think you can find the link on this thread (I don't have my ftp client with me now, so I can't check the correct address for the download).

Edit: Please try this link. I am not 100% sure (I don't have any CAD with me), but it should be the latest step (assembly with separated components).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5e7xu6sifogl ... C.stp?dl=0

variante

All right...I realized today that I sent the wrong car. It's a slighly older and not fully legal version (only minor things hopefully).
Anyway, here it is in all its glory, as promised:

etsmc
etsmc

Knowing how well variante performs with his cars in the past i can only assume this is going to be up there with the top contenders again. There is such an element of simplicity with his car that it looks too simple!! i just cant see how you guys do it so well.
I think i have spotted a sort of diffuser in front of the front wheels, wondering how this works.

on another note i am thinking of moving from Sketchup finaly and i have access to inventor 2018, anyone using Inventor?
I have watched some videos and it seems that the free form tool might be the easiest way to create shapes and it is as i understand parametric so changes would be easier then having to basically recreate the part each time in sketchup...

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 22:34
https://i.imgur.com/FHIN4hQ.jpg
Thanks for sharing, very interesting car.
It partially drains laterally the flow from the front diffuser, am I right?

I am curious about the rake you are running with. At the moment I am only testing small angles (0.00°/-0.25°).

variante

CAEdevice wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 10:10
variante wrote:
Thanks for sharing, very interesting car.
It partially drains laterally the flow from the front diffuser, am I right?

I am curious about the rake you are running with. At the moment I am only testing small angles (0.00°/-0.25°).
Yes, from the front diffuser! But not too much, otherwise my rear diffuser starts complaining...

0.0° rake. I didn't find all the gains that I expected with rake, so I decided to design a new car that doesn't need it to produce front downforce. Not using rake also helps reducing the amount of simulations necessary to develop a good car.
Did you find significant advantages?

etsmc wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 04:03
Knowing how well variante performs with his cars in the past i can only assume this is going to be up there with the top contenders again. There is such an element of simplicity with his car that it looks too simple!! i just cant see how you guys do it so well.
I think i have spotted a sort of diffuser in front of the front wheels, wondering how this works.
Yeah, this isn't going to perform badly, but it's not going to win either. It is a bit underdeveloped, for the moment.
Ah yes, good spot! That's a little diffuser. But it's not so easy to get it to work...

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 10:57
0.0° rake. I didn't find all the gains that I expected with rake, so I decided to design a new car that doesn't need it to produce front downforce. Not using rake also helps reducing the amount of simulations necessary to develop a good car.
Did you find significant advantages?
Actually no advantages about efficiency. I am using small angles only to balance the car.

LVDH

So, I converted my rendering tool over to VTK and everything works now. We do not get super shinny images but it is now the foundation for my automatic rule checking tool.
You can find all the images on the challenge page:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cars-mvrc-le-mans-2018/

Any update on the RicMe entry? I would like to publish the results this Sunday. If we can help, please let us know. The compliance results will probably get published early next week.

CAEdevice

Beautiful images, thanks. The only problem is that, seeing my diffuser so exposed ... I feel naked!

variante

Weird approach with that diffuser, CAEdevice. I guess you are still favoring airflow from the front of the car and into the diffuser. If I recall correctly, JJR last year diffuser was kinda the opposite: more aggressive at the sides and less at the centre. Also, I see that you're not extending the beam wing all the way to where you have more room... interesting!

Very unconventional design from the Bart and Tulip. Let's see how they work!

BTW I'm glad my car has its own livery and no Diabolik mask :D

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 16:38
Weird approach with that diffuser, CAEdevice.
Really? I consider it quite common. Anyway: yes, I am still trying to seal the sides of the floor.

RicME85

LVDH wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 13:30
Any update on the RicMe entry? I would like to publish the results this Sunday. If we can help, please let us know. The compliance results will probably get published early next week.
Just get on with it without my entry, just cant make it happen. I had been working with the wrong model and what Matteo has supplied isnt like last years car (it has the wings etc, removing them will require filling the voids left by his geometry). I will have something for the next race, probably my own design seeing as I am the only one to sign up to Intro.

variante

RicME85 wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 17:20
LVDH wrote:
Just get on with it without my entry, just cant make it happen. I had been working with the wrong model and what Matteo has supplied isnt like last years car (it has the wings etc, removing them will require filling the voids left by his geometry). I will have something for the next race, probably my own design seeing as I am the only one to sign up to Intro.
Are you still working with Sketchup? If so, just send it to me and I can get you a car ready before midnight. It wouldn't be a tested car, but something to grab some point before you're in full shape again (not sure how the Intro Class works, though. May simply consider the full one already).
As long as the other guys are ok with it, obviously.

CAEdevice

RicME85 wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 17:20
LVDH wrote:
Hi Ric, I am very sorry. Are you sure to have checked to STEP version? It is fully divided into components:

roon
roon

LVDH wrote:
So, I converted my rendering tool over to VTK and everything works now. We do not get super shinny images but it is now the foundation for my automatic rule checking tool.
https://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content ... s_2018.gif
You can find all the images on the challenge page:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cars-mvrc-le-mans-2018/

Cool stuff. That CAE Device car looks cool. The JJR car gets all it's cooling air from under the car? Wonder how Team Bart and Variante, with the front radiators, will fare. Variante looks to be blowing the RW. 8)

variante wrote:
All right...I realized today that I sent the wrong car. It's a slighly older and not fully legal version (only minor things hopefully).
Anyway, here it is in all its glory, as promised:
https://i.imgur.com/wuPUjVw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/hkvBq6t.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SkgT2C8.jpg
Will you experiment with different exhaust height? I wonder how above vs. below RW compares.