[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Hi, a small update about the develpoments for the next race, I hope they are useful for you.

I spent most of the time testing inclined HX (F1 like), but I will use the same car of the first race with small improvemetns.
I am convinced that the HXs allowed by the present rule would be ok with an "arrow" layout, but they are a bit short with a "F1 style" layout (I mean HXs included into the sidepods, not the frontal ones). If we will choose a F1 style next year, longer (higher) HXs should be considered.

CAEdevice

New (fully legal) rear wing and new exhausts for CAEdevice MP006: refining the details of the same layout is not so boring ;)

I had a small gain with drag reduction, but now the parameterized CAD model works better and I will try new things easily. Yes, I know I am talking as if I had years to develop the car, so sad I will abandon the project next year (new rules), considering it started in 2015.

Please note the orange whale hidden inside the image.

LVDH

That thing is a bit faster than a whale. We need some sword fish and sharks in this championship.
To help a bit, I have uploaded a new version of MantiumFlow. There are no real changes to the solving process. Mainly the post-processing has improved. You now get a line, you can copy-paste into the Virtual Stop Watch and get the Lambda2=35000 isosurfaces colored with the velocity which adds some additional information..

Team_Bart

Official announcement: After joining the first race in Le Mans with a very basic temporary model, we are proud to announce the presentation of our first challenger, the Team Bart One - ButterFly!

See you next Friday on f1technical.net!

machin

It really is a great looking car from all angles. The thing I really like about it is that it looks so understated; there are no huge wings, no unnecessary stuck on parts, the diffuser isn’t massive... and yet the numbers speak for themselves!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

machin

Team_Bart wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 15:59
We are proud to announce the presentation of our first challenger...
Cool, do you think you’ve made some good progress? Can’t wait to see the round 2 cars...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Team_Bart

machin wrote:
09 Sep 2018, 11:23
Cool, do you think you’ve made some good progress? Can’t wait to see the round 2 cars...
For sure the car is a lot better now than it was in Le Mans. However I'm still struggling with the ballance of the car. I hope I can fix it before Sepang, but time starts counting now. It would be nice if we can cach up with the teams finishing in front of us last race, but the gap was quite large and I'm sure they are improving as well. Anyway I already learned a lot and I think analysing the results with the Paraview tools is a nice addition to the MantiumFlow postprocessor. Together it makes it a bit easier to fully understand what is going on, so I'm sure this will helps me for the next races.

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
09 Sep 2018, 11:21
It really is a great looking car from all angles. The thing I really like about it is that it looks so understated; there are no huge wings, no unnecessary stuck on parts, the diffuser isn’t massive... and yet the numbers speak for themselves!
Thanks! I like efficiency tracks because they require to be very careful in order to not waste the energy inside the flow. Once the airflow has been deviated upward or expanded it becomes almost useless.

The front diffuser will have even less expansion in the next race.

JJR
JJR

Hi!

How can I download MantiumFlow. I log in on mantiumchallenge page and downloaded only text file wit: "Sorry! Download is not available yet".
I would like to check my model with official software .

Thanks.

LVDH

Hi,
I have just tested the download with my test accounts on a different computer. It seems to work. Try to log out and back in again. If the issue persists for you I can send you a direct download link. I hope this will help you to re-calibrate your process so CAEdevice has a good challenger.

JJR
JJR

I just try it with no success. Can you please send me direct download link.
Thank you in advance.

I have made good progress with L/D ratio at Matteo level and shift ballance in right direction but Im not sure if it is enough.

CAEdevice

JJR wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 09:21
I have made good progress with L/D ratio at Matteo level
Great! Which of yor two layout are you developing?

JJR
JJR

Le Mans with some refinements with about 40% more downforce. 2nd layout will be used only probably at Pikes Peak.

CAEdevice

JJR wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 10:13
Le Mans with some refinements with about 40% more downforce. 2nd layout will be used only probably at Pikes Peak.
We are converging on the same efficiency with completely different layouts.

40% ??? Impressive!

JJR
JJR

CAEdevice wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 10:23
JJR wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 10:13
We are converging on the same efficiency with completely different layouts.

40% ??? Impressive!
Yes this is interesting that my car is completly different and at the end result is nearly the same. I now got MantiumFlow from Andre so I hope that positive numbers will be comfirmed.