[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

First picture of the new car MP006A:

CAEdevice

Hi, I apologize if I'm in a hurry, but I can work on MVRC projects until next week.
This should be the customer car. It has been designed in compliance with the full class 2018 rules, but it is also compliant for the intro class. It is simplified edtion of the official car.

My intention is to provide STL and STEP models to everyone, but, considering that I have only few days to complete it, I would ask a little help, once the STL model will be available on this forum.
It would be useful if Chris could take a look to the car and check if it is legal, and André could run a simulation (model and results should be visible to everyone).

A parametric (SWX) or semiparametric edition would be possibile not before 2nd or 3rd race.

LVDH

Hi, I was on a short trip and am coming back today. I can run the car tomorrow morning if it is not too late.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 07:09
Hi, I was on a short trip and am coming back today. I can run the car tomorrow morning if it is not too late.
Ok, I will make it available here in a few hours.

CAEdevice

Hi, these are the STL files of the "intro class" car.

I am sorry but the time between the rulebook release and the first race is not enough to provide a parametric car (or interchangeable parts for who does not use use Solidwroks).
This car includes most of the concepts of my 2017 car, that was quite a good car, so you can study it and understand any small trick.

In my opinion the intro car rules (and engine) should be the same of top class, so that these cars could compete for the podium. The only additional limit should be to "frozen" everything included beteen the front and rear axles and to not allow rake changes (in order to run a small number of CFD simulations).

Here is the link... have fun!

http://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/20 ... _Rev01.zip

There will be e "Rev02" after LDVH simulations and Chris rule check. The post processing will be available for everyone.
Last edited by CAEdevice on 18 Jul 2018, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.

Team_Bart

Hi, I've some troubles running BlueCFD/MantiumFlow. I asked the question in the MantiumFlow Q&A, but probably someone here recognizes the problem. In the MantiumFlow Q&A they suggested it was due to the configuration of the installation folder of BlueCFD, but I'm sure this is set correct. I reinstalled BlueCFD and MantiumFlow but it did not solve the problems unfortunately. Probably someone knows where I have to search to fix it. Since I have no experience with BlueCFD I actually have no idea where to start... I have some log files as well if needed, in the following a summation of the errors BlueCFD gives. In MantiumFlow no errors show up.

First 12 times (using 6 CPU’s) the following error: ”–> FOAM FATAL ERROR:
Wrong number of arguments, expected 2 found 3
Invalid option: -”
Then 2 times: ”–> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
”ill defined primitiveEntry starting at keyword ’forceCoeffs_Car_v2’ on line 39 and ending at line 208”
file: C:/Users/User/Documents/MVRC-wagen/Car_v2/CFD/system/forceCoeffs at line 208.
From function void Foam::primitiveEntry::readEntry(const Foam::dictionary&, Foam::Istream&)
in file db/dictionary/primitiveEntry/primitiveEntryIO.C at line 189.” Probably this is more useful??
After that: ”[0] –> FOAM FATAL ERROR:
[0] snappyHexMesh: cannot open case directory ”C:/Users/User/Documents/MVRC-wagen/Car_v2/CFD/processor0” ”.
This error is repeated for: renumberMesh, checkMesh, potentialFoam, simpleFoam (2 times), postProcess, and simpleFoam again. All those jobs are aborted after the error.

RicME85

Have you tried having the folder with your car stl files elsewhere? IIRC I have had issues with simulations not working when the geometry is in places like 'My Documents'. To combat this I install BlueCFD in its default directory then on C:\ I have a folder called CFD. Within this I have the various folders for my geometry eg 'Race_1_Spec_1' 'Race_1_Spec_2' etc. I usually just create an MVRC folder on the desktop and extract MantiumFlow into that and everything works fine.
Some of the problems with running simulations come from admin rights, even if you have admin rights or are using the admin account (I have tried a number of things on different PCs and found the above setup to work best).

Team_Bart

RicME85 wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 20:26
Have you tried having the folder with your car stl files elsewhere? IIRC I have had issues with simulations not working when the geometry is in places like 'My Documents'. To combat this I install BlueCFD in its default directory then on C:\ I have a folder called CFD. Within this I have the various folders for my geometry eg 'Race_1_Spec_1' 'Race_1_Spec_2' etc. I usually just create an MVRC folder on the desktop and extract MantiumFlow into that and everything works fine.
Some of the problems with running simulations come from admin rights, even if you have admin rights or are using the admin account (I have tried a number of things on different PCs and found the above setup to work best).
Thanks, I tried but exactly the same errors appear …

etsmc

Having an issue of my machine freezing when i try to run a simulation now.
I have a case that i have zipped up @LVDH would you have somewhere i can upload it for you to have a look?

LVDH

etsmc wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 06:01
I have a case that i have zipped up @LVDH would you have somewhere i can upload it for you to have a look?
Please ask the question on the Q&A section of the challenge page so others can later profit from the fix. I will then send you a link.

etsmc

LVDH wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 11:13
etsmc wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 06:01
Please ask the question on the Q&A section of the challenge page so others can later profit from the fix. I will then send you a link.
Done

wpsiatwin

Is intersecting CAD geometry allowed?

LVDH

RicME85 wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 20:26
This issue has been fixed a while ago. I remember it so clearly because I was so surprised that in Windows a simple 'cd E:' does not work. You can install MantiumFlow where you want and can have your CFD folder on a different drive if you like. You should check the Change.log when new versions get released, that helps for you to find such new features.

A15013950 wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 01:39
Is intersecting CAD geometry allowed?
Yes, I recommend working like that as it makes designing the car much easier.

Yesterday Matteo pointed out some issues with the software to me. One is a bit bad. It is related to the new Windows version of OpenFOAM. In the simulations we have an automatic switch to start the run with first order accurate numerical schemes which then get switched to second order. This switch to second order currently does not work under Windows, which means that your end results are not what they should be. You can find the bug report here:
https://github.com/blueCFD/Core/issues/108
As I do not work on this, I cannot help with the bug fix and we can only wait. BlueCFD has however recommended a good work around which I will try to implement today. Depending on how things go, I might have to delay the first race.

I have also simulated the new Intro class car. It seems that the heat exchangers do not see enough cooling flow and the car needs some more rear downforce. I could work on that part. However why is the car complete? Shouldn't the guys get a car without front and rear wind and also without the diffuser?

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 08:03
I have also simulated the new Intro class car. It seems that the heat exchangers do not see enough cooling flow and the car needs some more rear downforce. I could work on that part. However why is the car complete? Shouldn't the guys get a car without front and rear wind and also without the diffuser?
Thanks. I was quite sure about the need of more rear downforce, but I am surprised by the cooling flow.

Could you make the post processing public so that I can prepare a Rev2 of the intro-car?

The caris complete because it is a work in progress. I think that making the development public would be an additional help for beginners. I will make an article on my website, but you can use it on the official website too.

After 1 or 2 development iterations I will release a final version with some separated parts (rear wings and other parts), but I am not sure it will be ready for the first race.

CAEdevice

2nd order schemes issue: what about 2nd order from the first iteration, but with more "safe" (in order to have stability) parameters? Would it be a good compromise? May it could reduce the total number of iterations (2000 instead od 2500?).