[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Ok, updated...
You do not have rerun the simulation to post-process it. Just load it in the GUI and then hit the post-process button.

CAEdevice

Hi, I have a question (not related to the recent software update).

How are the numbers in the HTML computed? Are they an average of the values ​​calculated in the last iterations? I find a lot of difference between the average of the last 10-50 iterations and the results.

Ft5fTL

CAEdevice wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 17:02

How are the numbers in the HTML computed? Are they an average of the values ​​calculated in the last iterations? I find a lot of difference between the average of the last 10-50 iterations and the results.
I wonder that too.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

TalnoRacing

LVDH wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 16:24
Ok, updated...
You do not have rerun the simulation to post-process it. Just load it in the GUI and then hit the post-process button.
I managed to get MantiumFlow working, it seems I had a "write access" security problem.

However, I installed the updated post-processing file, but now have the following error:

CAEdevice

CAEdevice wrote:

Ok, problem solved: it was my fault. I used the new post processor with OpenFoam case created with an old version of WFlow. Anyway, I am still curious about the way the "avereged values" are computed during the post processing.

LVDH

TalnoRacing wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 07:24
LVDH wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 16:24
Ok, updated...
I managed to get MantiumFlow working, it seems I had a "write access" security problem.

However, I installed the updated post-processing file, but now have the following error:

http://s284.photobucket.com/user/TalnoR ... c.jpg.html
Please get this over to the MFlow Q&A sections as there could be many reasons for this. I hope it is not the dot in your user name. You could right away upload the case, so I can check it.

CAEdevice wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 09:38
CAEdevice wrote:

Ok, problem solved: it was my fault. I used the new post processor with OpenFoam case created with an old version of WFlow. Anyway, I am still curious about the way the "avereged values" are computed during the post processing.
The results are averaged over quite a period. Certain tests in the past have shown that even when I change meaningful parameters for the simulation, the results do not get affected enough to have an impact on your lap times. However you guys have started getting so close that I want to change the procedure of getting to the final results. I will not have time next week but will get some initial work on this started very soon and hope to have it ready for the next race.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 12:40
I will not have time next week but will get some initial work on this started very soon and hope to have it ready for the next race.
Considering that we are going to completaley change the cars after the last "efficiency" track, I think that any significative change should be delayed after race 3 (except arrow heat exchangers :D beacuse I have a solution ready since last year... I am kidding of course)

CAEdevice

Hi, I was thinking about some proposals to simplify/automate the rulecheck.

Instead of checking all the rules, the car would be "preprocessed" like this:

1) Every solid included into the "solids to add assembly" will be added with a boolean addition (ex. engine, cockpit, gearbox, ...)
2) Every solid included into the "solids to be subtracted" will be subtracted with a boolean subtraction (ex. visibility volume, max general dimensions)
3) The car (or portions of the car, as the diffuser area) will be cutted with a plane with a fixed distance from the reference plane and no holes should appear looking from under the floor
4) No lower limits for heat exchange areas

Working with STEP and any CAD software it would quite easy to do, but maybe it is possible with STL too.

Team_Bart

Hi all,

Last Friday I was visiting the Team Bart factory, since it is quite silent here about the development of the cars, I asked Technical Director Bart how the ButterFly is going. Unfortunately, he told me there was no big news about the development: "We found some small drag reduction and had some esthetic improvements. Unfortunately, the performance of the ButterFly is still at the same level as last race. After the first Le Mans race, we found some extra downforce, however, we still cannot use it since it ruin the balance. Since Le Mans we tried a lot of different concepts to find more downforce at the front but all those concepts shows a similar downforce level unfortunately. We have to think about a new development strategy for the coming weeks"

So it is a shame for the team, but hopefully they can use the gained information later this season and still make some improvements. I also asked them about their windtunnel, from last races I understand from them there were some problems. Bart: "We now have split our team (read time) in two parts. One team is to focus on the ButterFly development, while the other half is learning to understand the windtunnel better. It costs some development time at this stage, but we hope to reap the benefits of it later this season or next season."

So that's all I can tell about the Team Bart development, any rumors from other teams?

CAEdevice

Team_Bart wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 17:39
So that's all I can tell about the Team Bart development, any rumors from other teams?
After the disappointing results of the last race (not the postion but the CFD numbers) I was tempted to design a new car, but the time is not enough because I am too busy with my job, so I will go on with refinement.

LVDH

You guys should check out Moulsannes corner and other pages, including this forum obviously to get some inspiration. How can you run out of ideas?
If you really did try something like this:
https://mantiumcae.com/new-car-for-kvrc ... d-blender/

machin

Andre, you were way ahead of the curve... if you had continued as a competitor I fear you might have ruined the competition! 😂

EDIT; it would be really nice if there was some script which could optimise wing/diffuser profiles quickly... that would enable people to spend more time on the overall concept, and less on the fine details... but I think that is a dream for people who have a lot of spare computing power?!
Last edited by machin on 18 Oct 2018, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

machin

I am waiting to see if anyone tries any of Variante’s vortex generators... perhaps in slightly different locations...

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

I would like to have enough time to test Variante's solution, but at the moment I am more focused on front canards, beam wing and 3D diffuser (i.e. not simply extruded). I don't know if a refinement will be enough to beat Variante and JJR, considering that they have a small advantage now (if JJR will find a good balance for the car), but it is time to choose a precise development direction.

MVRC is also a good training for development strategy. Universities should consider it.

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 13:47
Andre, you were way ahead of the curve... if you had continued as a competitor I fear you might have ruined the competition! 😂
I wish we can race togheter with LDVH and Chris (and Variante, JJR, TF, ...). Maybe a "single race" event, an "All Star game" with better mesh refinement, transient simulations etc?