[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
machin

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Plus ex member of staff / competitor who is actually in an f1 team now....

Anyway, I am excited for the Final Round at Pikes Peak.... so I made a short teaser/promotional video...:-

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 19:07
Plus ex member of staff / competitor who is actually in an f1 team now....

Anyway, I am excited for the Final Round at Pikes Peak.... so I made a short teaser/promotional video...:-

https://youtu.be/llik_eEJVlw
Really? Was he a participant when I had not yet joined the challenge?

Great video! I was looking at the classification: I have few possibilities to win the challenge and many possibilities to be on third place after the last race... the new wings are working well (but I think that it would be about the same for everyone), but I need to find some more downforce.

CAEdevice

I was reading about the history of Pikes Pikes. The latest two records (Loeb and Dumas) should be impossible to beat with our cars. What are your thoughts Richard (Machin)?

machin

CAEdevice wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 22:16
I was reading about the history of Pikes Pikes. The latest two records (Loeb and Dumas) should be impossible to beat with our cars. What are your thoughts Richard (Machin)?
I also think not.... but I have been pretty amazed at the aero coefficients you guys have been achieving... so I think it might be quite close.... What we need is a star driver who knows the course very well, and some nice sticky tyres...

Are we going to see Cl.A values above 10?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 23:11
CAEdevice wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 22:16
I also think not.... but I have been pretty amazed at the aero coefficients you guys have been achieving... so I think it might be quite close.... What we need is a star driver who knows the course very well, and some nice sticky tyres...

Are we going to see Cl.A values above 10?
I don't, maybe JJR.

The maximum power and dimensions are about the same as Volkswagen prototype, but (I am not sure) it has skirts at the sides of the floor, and this would make a big difference.

variante

Wow i didn't expect the race to start this sunday already! My chances of regaining terrain on JJR are low...

Well, anyway, i think the challenge will be to find the new point of balance between downforce and efficiency, rather than exceeding Cl.A 10m².
The new rules can actually revolutionize the aerodynamics of our cars. I'm finding the Front Wing Extensions, in particular, very tricky to work with. And i haven't figured out an elegant design for the Rear Wing Pylons yet...

I'm not going to show the car yet, as CAEdevice kindly did, but i can tell you it's going to look very different, despite the same configuration (front radiatiors). I think 80% of the parts are either brand new or modified.

{BTW, not sure if it's been noticed before, but the STL file for the Rear Wing has some problems (vertices not matching,...). I've been designing my car around what I thought were the intended vertices}

Steven wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 18:40
We've created a usergroup for all MVRC competitors.
Interesting!
And this might be the beginning of a closer collaboration between MVRC and your website, for mutual benefit. Hopefully since the start of next season.

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 16:45
Well, anyway, i think the challenge will be to find the new point of balance between downforce and efficiency, rather than exceeding Cl.A 10m².
I have balance issues too, and I would need 2 months to understand how the extended front wing works..
variante wrote: I'm not going to show the car yet, as CAEdevice kindly did, but i can tell you it's going to look very different, despite the same configuration (front radiatiors).
I only showed the car without wings... maybe I will show more in 2 days

etsmc
etsmc

so it looks like i have found some more downforce by throwing on some big wings but efficiency has not improved much.
I have not done anything regarding my cooling so expecting to be down on power again for the last race.
my rear wing is BIG and producing twice as much downforce as the dual element from last race but cl/cd has dropped by 0.4
I have kept my front wing the same all the way out to the original width of the bodywork volume only adding some wing past this to the new width, interestingly the original section is producing more downforce and shed some drag with cl/cd up 1.9 to a best of cl/cd 12.0 which i am happy with.

I think i will be glad to see the back of these cars and interested to see what the new F1 Style cars will look like and how difficult they are gong to be to develop.

CAEdevice

etsmc wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 06:57
I have not done anything regarding my cooling so expecting to be down on power again for the last race.
I don't remember the layout of your cooling, but this is my experience: the big rear wing generates a low pression volume near the cooling outlets and (without changing anything else in the cooling layout) I gained about 5% of cooling flow. I hope the same for you (and maybe the contrary for cars with frontal heat exchangers with outlets above the front suspension ;) ).

LVDH

variante wrote:
{BTW, not sure if it's been noticed before, but the STL file for the Rear Wing has some problems (vertices not matching,...). I've been designing my car around what I thought were the intended vertices}
This is now fixed thanks to Matteo. Not sure if it is worth the download, but if you like playing on the safe side, it is available.

variante wrote:
Steven wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 18:40
We've created a usergroup for all MVRC competitors.
Interesting!
And this might be the beginning of a closer collaboration between MVRC and your website, for mutual benefit. Hopefully since the start of next season.
You might be on the right track here. BTW, people who want to join the MVRC staff should get in touch with me. People who like writing and checking rules would be very appreciated. Also we still need a cool CFD journalist.

I hope you are all ready for the last race. I want to see some monsters.

etsmc
etsmc

CAEdevice wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 14:00
etsmc wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 06:57
I don't remember the layout of your cooling, but this is my experience: the big rear wing generates a low pression volume near the cooling outlets and (without changing anything else in the cooling layout) I gained about 5% of cooling flow. I hope the same for you (and maybe the contrary for cars with frontal heat exchangers with outlets above the front suspension ;) ).
I hope you are correct, i have just tested on the virtual stopwatch and there is a difference of around 30s between the power i have now and full power :o

variante

etsmc wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 03:42
i have just tested on the virtual stopwatch and there is a difference of around 30s between the power i have now and full power :o
Having full power is key. I have learnt it the hard way some time ago... Definitely use the remaining time focusing on that.

CAEdevice wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 20:54
I only showed the car without wings... maybe I will show more in 2 days
Where is it?!? Come on, don't be shy!

etsmc
etsmc

Well i have no more time to work on the car, a quick fix has been to run a gurney flap all the way round the cooling exit.
has resulted in a drop in downforce ever so slightly but has brought the cooling flow up a touch, only worth 5 seconds but could make all the difference to the results :)
good luck people.

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 04:18
Where is it?!? Come on, don't be shy!
This time I'm a little late. I did only 9 simulations (and 2 of them were focused on a new concept for the diffuser, without success). This is a stolen picture of the in the pits during testing.

I am quite happy with the numbers, considering that, after adding the new wings to the old car, I decided to refine it one more time (the last) despite it is old and beaten.

I hope to see stolen pictures of the other cars too :D

LVDH

Interesting rear wing mounts. Looks like you are squeezing every bit of downforce out of it. This means you are not having any trouble in front?