[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Hi guys,
good to see the discussion here. I think it is going into the right direction. Richard and I will take care of the rules ourselves. I think involving you guys will just create too much chaos. But if you want to help, I can occasionally announce certain tasks. Here is the first one:
Find out what the wheel and tire dimensions for 2019 F1 are.
Bonus: Design the wheels in a CAD system and send them to me.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 16:23
Hi guys,
good to see the discussion here. I think it is going into the right direction. Richard and I will take care of the rules ourselves. I think involving you guys will just create too much chaos. But if you want to help, I can occasionally announce certain tasks. Here is the first one:
Find out what the wheel and tire dimensions for 2019 F1 are.
Bonus: Design the wheels in a CAD system and send them to me.
Only tyres or included rims?

(Dimensions: see F1 technical rules 2019, page 65 and 66, https://www.fia.com/file/78015/download/26184)

machin

Matteo; wheels and tyres.

Here is a cross-section through an older F1 tyre... could be useful as a starting point;

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 20:14
Matteo; wheels and tyres.

Here is a cross-section through an older F1 tyre... could be useful as a starting point;

https://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp- ... -Shape.jpg
Thanks! About the rims I can copy from the pictures but it would be difficult to find official drawings.

machin

I think we have used really simple wheels before? I guess this simplifies the CFD...?

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 22:06
I think we have used really simple wheels before? I guess this simplifies the CFD...?
No problem, just let me know what is better from the simulation point of view (LDVH).

I can model the deformation of the rubber on the ground if you want.

variante

When you should be studying or working, but it's more fun making stuff like this...
It's the "road legal" version of the Furore. Pedestrian friendly front end, wider cockpit, etc. Hypercars are trendy now, aren't they?
Yeah...it's still a bit ugly... In my defence, this is just an early stage concept to see whether the aerodynamics works.

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 22:34
machin wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 22:06
No problem, just let me know what is better from the simulation point of view (LDVH).

I can model the deformation of the rubber on the ground if you want.
Try to not go crazy with spokes as more surface means more cells for the CFD mesh, making the simulation take longer. As everyone will be using the same rim, we do not need anything fancy. A deformed tire would be very cool.

variante wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 00:22
Yeah...it's still a bit ugly... In my defence, this is just an early stage concept to see whether the aerodynamics works.
Already pretty cool. The cooling exits on the side would be what I would be working on now. Maybe something like a reverse Testarossa would look cool?

CAEdevice

Hi, this is the first release or a 2019 front tyre + rim + hub + brake duct.

There two versions: with rims and without rims. Both versions are rounded, but I can provided a simpler version without small rounds.

http://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/20 ... Rev01.STEP
http://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/20 ... Rev01.STEP

You could do very interesting things with measuring surfaces and brake ducts: let me know if you need more details about the discs.

The wheels are aerodinamically neutral and simmetrical in order to have simple models, but it would be possibile a different (more "CFD" guided approach).

After reading your tips and observations I will release a second version and the rear wheel.
Finally I will release the deformed version (what about the pressure? I need an estimate to define the contact area).

(BTW: the FIA rules about rims and rubbers are much more detailed than I could imagine)

variante

Shouldn't CFD rims be solids of revolution? i.e. no spokes.

LVDH wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 08:32
The cooling exits on the side would be what I would be working on now. Maybe something like a reverse Testarossa would look cool?
Sure, i'll try that!

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 13:28
Shouldn't CFD rims be solids of revolution? i.e. no spokes.
Yes, but a detailed version will be useful for the renderings

machin

They look nice! 😎

In the first draft of the rules we maintain the ability to adjust the front suspension height... so it might make it easier adjustment wise if the cooling duct is part of the suspension, rather than the wheel? Then the inner portion of the wheel (and outer portion of the suspension) would just have flat vertical interfaces which can “slide” against each other...?

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 15:54
They look nice! 😎

In the first draft of the rules we maintain the ability to adjust the front suspension height... so it might make it easier adjustment wise if the cooling duct is part of the suspension, rather than the wheel? Then the inner portion of the wheel (and outer portion of the suspension) would just have flat vertical interfaces which can “slide” against each other...?
Maybe the easiest way to do this would be to model the suspension together with the brake duct or to provide different solutions for the brake duct height.

Would it be possible to download the front suspensions in order to re-model that including the duct? Front suspensions are the same as 2018?

It would be interesting to give the possibilitiy to model the rear suspension upper arms (or to give two possible alternatives).

CAEdevice

Would you be interested in a bit more aggressive suspensions than 2018? I could model suspension arm with the maximum form factor allowed by F1 rules (3.5) and with the "upper" pin used by Mercedes (and other teams: https://goo.gl/images/SVqyAU ).

At the moment I am not considering small setup angles and lower rubber deformation (I will add at the end of the modeling iterations).

Team_Bart

Can anyone tell me how the the simulation time will be compared to that of the lmp cars from last season? I can imagine that more detailed simulations are needed with the f1 style cars? Also I guess there will be more high resolution surfaces?