[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

New Release 03:
- added steering arm
- logo (which is the right font?)
- realistic footprint (and approximate deformation)

STEP
https://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/2 ... Rev03.STEP

If LDVH thinks it is ok, I can start with the rear wheels modeling.

Alonso Fan

CAEdevice wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 12:12
New Release 03:
- added steering arm

https://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/2 ... _Rev03.jpg

STEP

Looking good. How about a blue ring round the sidewall like the pirellis?

I am really looking forward to these rules. Should be easier to design the bodywork in sketchup too
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
New Release 03:
- added steering arm

STEP

Looks very good. The coordinate system is wrong. Z should point upwards.
A full rim, a simple upright and a very simple (thin cylinder) brake disk would be super cool. If we use these parts is a different question. I have many ideas about the F1 cars. I think that I will have to restrain myself a bit and get everything going and keep the good and complex ideas for next year.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 13:26
CAEdevice wrote:
New Release 03:
- added steering arm

STEP

Looks very good. The coordinate system is wrong. Z should point upwards.
A full rim, a simple upright and a very simple (thin cylinder) brake disk would be super cool. If we use these parts is a different question. I have many ideas about the F1 cars. I think that I will have to restrain myself a bit and get everything going and keep the good and complex ideas for next year.
What do you mean with "upright"? EDIT: OK, sorry for my poor english. I think I would call it "knuckle".

Ok for the disc and other details. I can provide a full detalied model and the to defeature it for the CFD (50% of my job is about defeturing :) ).

No problem for the c-sys, I will fix it at the end of the Solidworks job.

k.ko100v

Dear All,

First, Big applause to the creators, the developers and all the community of this very interesting project.
Secondly - Congratulations to the winners and all participators.
And finally, I decide to join the Mantium Challenge :)

Of course, every beginning is tough, so I will ask maybe a lot of questions. For that reason, excuse me in advanced.

I read half of the “MVRC 2018” thread and cleared a lot of things which in the past was very messy for me.
At the beginning, I had a lot of issues with all the software, but after reinstalling and updating my windows from 7 to 10, I end up with working MantiumFlow, together with blueCFD and ParaView.

I downloaded the MP006C_files_Rev02, just to run a simulation and to verify that all programs are working fine.
What bothered me was the time it took me for the simulation. More than 12 hours. My computer is with i7-6820HQ, 16GB RAM, SSD hard drive and 64bit Win10. Is this normal for this computer parameters?

Another thing that made an impression on me was the huge size of the mesh, looked in ParaView. And the car is sliced on half. Is this also correct?

Tonight, I will upload the Post Process folder, and would like to ask, someone to look, if everything is normal.

I would like also to make a proposal for next season, taking in to account the huge time for the simulation. Is it possible, the Mantium flow, to have a feature, where we can load simple geometries (solutions) and test only them, to see whether they are working or not, before we add them to the real car for final run and results.

Best Regards,
Krasen

CAEdevice

k.ko100v wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 18:11
I downloaded the MP006C_files_Rev02, just to run a simulation and to verify that all programs are working fine.
What bothered me was the time it took me for the simulation. More than 12 hours. My computer is with i7-6820HQ, 16GB RAM, SSD hard drive and 64bit Win10. Is this normal for this computer parameters?
Hi, yes it is normal to have that solution time with that hardware (I have a second workstation with 64gb of RAM and a Q6600 CPU and a similar simulation requires more than 14 hours) and I confirm that the solver uses symmetrical BCs.

LVDH

Yeah, this actually sounds like reasonable run times. Keep in mind, that while we are only simulating half of the car, the mesh is quite small to what would be needed for industrial accuracy. What wee are doing is more or less the equivalent of making the best car in a 1/10 or maybe 1/5 wind tunnel. This makes the championship accessible but not too unrealistic.
I think testing only certain parts should be available with the MFlow version you have. I am reworking a lot of the software right now and will keep your request in mind. However you should understand that testing most car parts isolated will only make limited sense. On most cars, the parts all interact with each other. You could however create a simplified car body to test new parts in order to speed up simulations. Also you should check out the mvrc_fast template in the software.

variante

Hi Krasen, welcome aboard!

As LVDH suggested, consider the "fast" option. The difference in results is minor, and you should only worry about it while fine tuning the car before a race (as long as the "fast" simulation runs smoothly).

My i7-7700hq takes about 6 hours on "fast" (and quite complex car geometries), which is good enough to launch a simulation overnight and another one in the morning before leaving the house.

k.ko100v

Thank you all for the replays.

I saw the fast template option, but firstly I wanted to perform a clear normal simulation mode. For shure my next runs will be with the fast option.

The postprocess folder is uploaded here https://www.dropbox.com/s/26m9kozin2nub ... st.7z?dl=0

If someone wants to take a look - please feel free.

As I am going to use SolidWorks for designing the car, are there any... how to say... rules or must do options which I have to know & do before start designing it. I saw that I have to follow the axis coordinations, and the files must be in .stl format with ASCII output code, but , it is a little bit unclear, how to approach the whole desighn.

To make the whole car in one .sldprt part and save the different features in to a different .stl's, or the different parts to be separeted to differen .sldprt parts, and assemble them in one assy file and then to save the different features in different .stl files.... Hope it is understandable :)

Regards,
Krasen

machin

First thing is to wait for the new “F1” rules to come out...

In terms of splitting up the car you should follow the break down in section 0.1 if the rules;

https://mantiumchallenge.com/mvrc-rules-2018/

I would personally design the different features as different .sldprt parts and then put them all in an assembly to see them all together...

...For me that makes it easier to catalogue all the different parts you design..
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

The name of the new champion (Variante) has just been sent to the Bitcoin Network. I am waiting for the next block to be confirmed and MVRC 2018 results will be written forever in the Blockchain :)

... waiting ...

variante

Wow! Now we are everlasting virtual graffiti!

machin

Very cool!

A little update; Andre and I are making progress with the new rules, model parts and Mantium Flow updates. I guess we will start a new topic on here when we have everything sorted; that way we can do a proper “launch” of the new season. 👍

CAEdevice

Again about the wheels: what do you think about using 2021 rules (18", slightly narrower front wheels) in order to anticipate F1 evolution?

machin

I think our current “vision” is to try and make the rules as close to current F1 as we can (without adding too many rules! 😂), and see if that increases participation levels... so I’d say keep your current wheel design... 👍