[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

machin wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 14:37
I think our current “vision” is to try and make the rules as close to current F1 as we can (without adding too many rules! 😂), and see if that increases participation levels... so I’d say keep your current wheel design... 👍
Ok, I agree. Do you have any feedback/request about the 3D models of wheels?

machin

From me, no; I think they look cool. 😎

I guess we might have some minor comments once the rest of the model is sorted...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 17:54
From me, no; I think they look cool. 😎

I guess we might have some minor comments once the rest of the model is sorted...
Thanks. I am a bit busy now, but I am working on a new CAD model that better simulates the deformation (you can go on with the present release, the differences are very small).

I can model the Halo if you need it, but I would need the general dimensions and rules.

etsmc

I have a question that you guys might be able to answer or spark some conversation on.
If I crate 3 monitoring surfaces all exactly the same size if I were then to arrange them one above the other would I be correct when looking at the results that the one with the highest airflow probably has the fastest flow?
for example
surface A = 1.5m3/s
surface B = 1.8m3/s
surface C = 1.2m3/s
it would be safe to say surface B has air flowing at the fastest speed? i think i am right in saying the monitoring surface is an average over the whole surface so measuring the surface area could airspeed be calculated?
Let's say the Monitoring surfaces measure 1m2 how would we calculate the airspeed?

LVDH

etsmc wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 06:39
I have a question that you guys might be able to answer or spark some conversation on.
If I crate 3 monitoring surfaces all exactly the same size if I were then to arrange them one above the other would I be correct when looking at the results that the one with the highest airflow probably has the fastest flow?
for example
surface A = 1.5m3/s
surface B = 1.8m3/s
surface C = 1.2m3/s
it would be safe to say surface B has air flowing at the fastest speed? i think i am right in saying the monitoring surface is an average over the whole surface so measuring the surface area could airspeed be calculated?
Let's say the Monitoring surfaces measure 1m2 how would we calculate the airspeed?
Sometimes when you are not sure about a formula, you can just check out the unit behind the numbers. You want to end up with a velocity which would be [m/s]. You have two numbers with [m³/s] (volume flow) and [m²] (surface area). This means dividing the volume flow by the area would be a good option. This is what happens to the units: [m³/s]/[m²] = [m/s], which is what you wanted. Assuming a constant density this is actually the formula you are looking for, as it implies mass conservation.
When doing these measurements please keep the info here in mind:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/porous-media-openfoam/

CAEdevice wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 15:35
Ok, I agree. Do you have any feedback/request about the 3D models of wheels?
Yeah, give us some time to see how it works with the rest. So far the look very good.

CAEdevice wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 20:40
I can model the Halo if you need it, but I would need the general dimensions and rules.
Would be cool for someone the help out on that. If nobody wants to take over the CAD work, maybe someone can provide Matteo with the dimensions or other input?

jjn9128

LVDH wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 12:34
CAEdevice wrote:
Would be cool for someone the help out on that. If nobody wants to take over the CAD work, maybe someone can provide Matteo with the dimensions or other input?
I have a halo model from our work on the Perrin I could share.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

CAEdevice

jjn9128 wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 13:08
LVDH wrote:
CAEdevice wrote:
I have a halo model from our work on the Perrin I could share.
Thanks!

LVDH

OK guys,
thanks to jjn9128 we have a HALO.
Richard today sent me the drawings for the volumes we need and I can open them, so maybe later today or tomorrow, I can get started on creating those.
Also I decided to merge the three different MFlow versions (Demo, MVRC and Full) into one. This now seems to work and means that the improvements I make into these versions will be made available to everyone at once. Probably next week, I can get started on making new templates for the new MVRC season.

CAEdevice

Do you have any plan about the calendar? If there will be enough time between the release of the template and the first race, I may be able to provide an open source car (despite last year not many team used it).

LVDH

Not yet, I had one but it was a bit too ambitious. Give me a few days. First the rules and MFlow have to be almost done before I will tell you guys about the calendar. Also I am planning to create a video tutorial about designing a car and I will probably release some wings and other standard parts.

machin

Cool, it has been mentioned by a few people before that it would be good to have a catalogue of parts available for people to download and use... I think the F1 rules support this approach quite well. Of course a fully integrated car is the one that will win overall, but for beginners some basic parts options would be good.

I downloaded FreeCAD last weekend so I might have a go at making up some parts too. But first I need to update Virtual Stopwatch.

etsmc

LVDH wrote:
etsmc wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 06:39
for example
surface A = 1.5m3/s
surface B = 1.8m3/s
surface C = 1.2m3/s
Sometimes when you are not sure about a formula, you can just check out the unit behind the numbers. You want to end up with a velocity which would be [m/s]. You have two numbers with [m³/s] (volume flow) and [m²] (surface area). This means dividing the volume flow by the area would be a good option. This is what happens to the units: [m³/s]/[m²] = [m/s], which is what you wanted. Assuming a constant density this is actually the formula you are looking for, as it implies mass conservation.
When doing these measurements please keep the info here in mind:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/porous-media-openfoam/
I thought I was on the right track, thanks for the clarification.
I remember seeing the link about the triangulation of the surface previously, this now brings me on to another question then as it was what I was trying to achieve and from the link, it looks like its possible.
How can I see the flow on a monitoring surface just like you have on the linked page?
Is it possible to have this done in post-processing?

etsmc

https://www.f1technical.net/features/22008 a good read and a worry if these guys get in on our new season as they seem to know what they are talking about...

machin

Yes, very interesting... it seems this could be one of the major items that will determine the next championship winner; who can best deal with the front wheel wake.

Anyone on this forum who claims to understand F1 aerodynamics needs to join up to this championship and prove it, ☺️👍

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 17:06
Yes, very interesting... it seems this could be one of the major items that will determine the next championship winner; who can best deal with the front wheel wake.

Anyone on this forum who claims to understand F1 aerodynamics needs to join up to this championship and prove it, ☺️👍
I agree! We look forward to new challenges. Next year I bet on Variante and his ability to manage vortices, then CAEdevice and JJR as usual.