[MVRC] Variante

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Variante

Post by CAEdevice » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:56 pm

variante wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:50 pm
Thanks you!

CFD tests with the same ride height as MVRC (45mm more or less), but the car is designed around the 75m figure. Being a roadcar, i imagined it could lift a little (let's say up to 125mm) for the bumpiest roads and steepest ramps.
75mm will be good also to reduce the height sensitivity

machin

Post by machin » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:48 pm

It’s a cool looking car... for me I would add wing mirrors... cars without wing mirrors look like hot wheels toys to me!

Question; how realistic is the “foot box” area of the safety cell? This seems to be the difference between what is possible in a road-going HyperCar compared to an LMP1 style car where the driver is pretty close to centrally located....

Here is the foot box area of the F50.... you can see there’s not much room for internal flow from a front wing/diffuser;

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

variante

Post by variante » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:33 pm

machin wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:48 pm
how realistic is the “foot box” area of the safety cell?
The footbox template is quite small: 750mm total (the red thing). Which, however, is still much larger than an F1 footbox for 2 people (36% larger).

Luckily, my design allows for much more additional lateral space, as you can see.

Another difference compared to the car in your pic is also how high and how forward the footbox is positioned.
I took advantage of 3m wheelbase, shifting the cockpit 250mm rearwards compared to MVRC (totally doable; in line with other supercars).

I'm not saying that it is roomier than a Rolls Royce, buuut... :D

PS: a better view:

machin

Post by machin » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:38 pm

Yes, I guess the F50 is a mere “supercar”, whereas yours is a hypercar like Adrian Newey’s Aston Valkyrie. 😎

Looking forward to more updates!

variante

Post by variante » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:43 pm

Time for an update on the hypercar derived from the car that won the MVRC aerodynamics competition.

There have been a few changes here and there, some practical and some aesthetical. Most noticeably, a movable rear wing which can retract flush with the bodywork.

With the rear wing fully extended, downforce level reaches 4.5m² (drag 0.9m²).
These figures are pretty impressive already for a road car but, since it is very underdeveloped, i trust in much higher numbers.

Here a comparison between the father and the son:
What do you think about it? is it getting better?

Finally, the most important comparison...next to a couple of hot hatchbacks:

roon

Post by roon » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:00 am

variante wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:43 pm
What do you think about it? is it getting better?
It looks good. Perhaps consider: more rake on the side glass, and an open cockpit version.

variante

Post by variante » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:19 am

I agree on the side glass. The open cockpit might be cool too! ..but that might compromise the aerodynamics, and i would have to model the interior, which is a massive task.

LVDH

Post by LVDH » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:36 pm

For aero and design, I suggest a more sculpted rear diffuser.

machin

Post by machin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:05 pm

As the front vortex generators are quite a strong visual aspect of the race car, how about adding them to the road car somehow? Would be a nice tie in with your Grand Prix car too for extra “sales”. 😉

LVDH

Post by LVDH » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:30 am

machin wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:05 pm
As the front vortex generators are quite a strong visual aspect of the race car, how about adding them to the road car somehow? Would be a nice tie in with your Grand Prix car too for extra “sales”. 😉
First I thought that would be an obvious addition, but I have a feeling it might be too detrimental for pedestrian protection. I think a softer front fits the car better anyway. If he goes for a McLaren style but simple he could have a super nice car and it is actually pretty close already. Maybe with a more sculpted diffuser he could add another red bar light to it. That would be today's style and on this car it would actually fit well.

variante

Post by variante » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:41 am

Yeah, I also think pedestrians should have the last word about those VGs...
The problem is that i can't really find any regulation about it. For instance, the only reason why i have such a long front splitter is because the street legal Koenigsegg Jesko seems to have no problem with it.

Next step will surely be a better diffuser, and not only for aesthetic reasons...

MadMatt

Post by MadMatt » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:23 am

Looking good. Looks a bit like the Valkyrie. However, I think it could be more exciting! Lot of straight/flat edges/faces, you used much more creativity in your race cars! I think it needs a bit more of your aero touch! But it looks good. :)

variante

Post by variante » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:56 am

Hey MadMatt!

Well, i confess i quite like my car...it fits my taste pretty well (who would have ever guessed huh). I prefer smoother designs, with few yet harmonic details; a game of proportions and reflections rather than a baroque triumph of lines.
But, yeah, some parts will get more "lively". I'm thinking about the front bumper (a bit more curvy, maybe a couple of accent lines) and front wheels fenders (more curvy and aggressive). Probably new rims too. I also wanted to introduce an airscoop...i'll copy the Pagani one (roadster version) O:)

PS: don't worry everybody...more technical stuff will come back soon!