[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Thomas2019
Thomas2019

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

CAEdevice wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 09:53

Force Coefficients averaged wing_rear (same numbers presented in a different way)

Cl: -0.6844554475 >>>> -0.6662020416 (delta 2,6%)
Cd: 0.2789338788 >>>> 0.2659228715 (delta 4,8%)

Cl(f): 1.2724959805 >>>> 0.1257940060 (delta >1000%)
What is Cl(f) in the above? The front lift of the rear wing part??

Thomas

CAEdevice

@Thomas: yes, front lift of rear wing.

I confirm that the simulation is correct: I asked a colleague to repeat it with a different package. MFlow setup is very good considering the light mesh and the pressure distribution is correct. At this point I am pretty sure that there is only a small issue with the postprocessing.

Btw: my car has been confirmed to be quite bad... but this doesn't matter so much :)

JJR
JJR

Hi guys! I haven ´t submit car for this round. I ´m working on it but wil take it easy for this season.
I wish you good luck .

CAEdevice

JJR wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 13:29
Hi guys! I haven ´t submit car for this round. I ´m working on it but wil take it easy for this season.
I wish you good luck .
I am so sorry! I had great expectations

etsmc
etsmc

JJR wrote:
I wish you good luck .
:shock:

So how many people actually got a car submitted?

CAEdevice

Just an update about the problems I had with the results: the correct solution is the less balanced (COP around 0,9m), the other one is wrong because the text editor I used to manually correct introduces some additional digits that altered the results...

machin

CAEdevice wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 11:49
Just an update about the problems I had with the results: the correct solution is the less balanced (COP around 0,9m), the other one is wrong because the text editor I used to manually correct introduces some additional digits that altered the results...
Thanks for the update; good to hear that you found the mistake and we know that nobody else’s results will have the same issue. Now let’s see how those cars perform!!! 👍👍👍👍
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 12:36
CAEdevice wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 11:49
Thanks for the update; good to hear that you found the mistake and we know that nobody else’s results will have the same issue. Now let’s see how those cars perform!!! 👍👍👍👍
Yes, no problem to share an error I made while manually editing the forceCoeff file, I hope it can be useful for the other teams.

Let's wait for the results: my car has huge balance issues, I consider myself out for this race: see you in Singapore (high df track?).

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

Hi guys,

I am struggle to start the modeling.

Is there anyone who is using SolidWorks, to open a chat with. I just need some hints and tips regarding how to save the different parts, how to assemble them, and how to coordinate them.

I read the rules from the mantium web page but still cannot understand from where to begin with and how to deal with the files.

Thanks in advance,
Krasen

CAEdevice

k.ko100v wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 13:58
Hi guys,

Is there anyone who is using SolidWorks, to open a chat with. I just need some hints and tips regarding how to save the different parts, how to assemble them, and how to coordinate them.

I read the rules from the mantium web page but still cannot understand from where to begin with and how to deal with the files.

Thanks in advance,
Krasen
Hi, I use Solidworks. I model the whole car as a single part, but as a multybody. Since the car derived from an old project, I need to use some "cut" ("divide") at the end, but if you start from scratch, and you use in the correct way the option to "join solids" when you create it, you should be able to obtain automatically the components.

Other users prefer the "assembly" mode, but in my opinion is not necessary for simple modeling required here.

LVDH

etsmc wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 03:32
JJR wrote:
I wish you good luck .

Here is what I have, just to make sure I did not miss anything:
  • Team name--------------------CAD received
  • Baltic-----------------------------------y
  • CAEdevice----------------------------y
  • CCE------------------------------------y
  • GGB------------------------------------y
  • Idadox----------------------------------y
  • JJR Racing----------------------------n
  • MercuryMotosport-------------------y
  • OK Racing Team---------------------y
  • Pure Power Racing------------------n
  • TalnoRacing---------------------------y
  • Team Koldskaal-----------------------y
  • Variante---------------------------------y
  • WBRacing------------------------------y
  • Wind Wizards Incorporated--------n
First simulations are running. Tomorrow I can probably show the images of all cars.

CAEdevice

So many new teams!

By the way: as usual, CAEdevice would like to be a sponsor, but in the last two years I had big and unexpected delivery problems (before the book and then the Bitcoins). My intention is to go on with the same value for each prize (100€, don't know wich prizes there will be since there is no more an intro class). Alternatives are:
  • Technical book
  • Merchandise (I would need to decide with LDVH about logos and so on)
  • Bitcoin (it could make you happier in the years, but you need to learn how to manage a wallet)
  • 3D printing of the winner car (but I would need a step to prepare, so you should share with me your design at the end of the year)
Which is your opinion or preference?

PS: New sponsors would be welcome I guess

TalnoRacing

k.ko100v wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 13:58
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance,
Krasen
I also use Solidworks and model the entire car as one single part. Then I use the "split" feature to create the different sections as per the rules. I find this easiest as many features interact with others or rely on others as a reference. It does however become a problem when editing a feature as many others can be affected.

If you are able to model different bodies in one part as CAEDevice suggests, and manage to properly combine them into one model, then that would be better as features will be independent.

etsmc
etsmc

LVDH wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 15:25
etsmc wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 03:32
JJR wrote:
I wish you good luck .

Here is what I have, just to make sure I did not miss anything:
  • Team name--------------------CAD received
  • Baltic-----------------------------------y
  • CAEdevice----------------------------y
  • CCE------------------------------------y
  • GGB------------------------------------y
  • Idadox----------------------------------y
  • JJR Racing----------------------------n
  • MercuryMotosport-------------------y
  • OK Racing Team---------------------y
  • Pure Power Racing------------------n
  • TalnoRacing---------------------------y
  • Team Koldskaal-----------------------y
  • Variante---------------------------------y
  • WBRacing------------------------------y
  • Wind Wizards Incorporated--------n
First simulations are running. Tomorrow I can probably show the images of all cars.
:shock: wow thats a fair few.. i wonder if the simplified rules have had a hand in that or if its just the exposure. . Looking forward to seeing the images and results :?

Thomas2019
Thomas2019

etsmc wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 16:09
:shock: wow thats a fair few.. i wonder if the simplified rules have had a hand in that or if its just the exposure. . Looking forward to seeing the images and results :?
In my case (Team Baltic) it was exposure. Andre presented the challenge at a workshop earlier this year.