[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Hi I am sending the car for Singapore.

Should I add in the text file we use for rake, which of the two CoP models I am going to use? I will use to "improved" (COP2) version, so I will be ok for the next races.

LVDH

rjsa wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 18:46
Hi Andre, I ‘ll repeat the car with the RW pillars anyway, I’ll only get home on Wednesday.
While that plot carries your team name, the post is intended for everyone. Please check the plots and make sure to not relay on non-converged data.

CAEdevice wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 10:12
Hi I am sending the car for Singapore.

Should I add in the text file we use for rake, which of the two CoP models I am going to use? I will use to "improved" (COP2) version, so I will be ok for the next races.
Yes, the rules say, you need to provide the text file. Also it is not your choice, which CoP to use. For this race, MFlow will export the one in your advantage. Last race that was the new one for every car.

machin

One more day until submissions need to be in... how are everyone’s cars coming along?

As you might have seen on my stand-alone topic I’ve only made small changes to the CCE “Test” car... but hoping it now gets full power... 🤞🤞🤞
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

wb92

machin wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 11:45
One more day until submissions need to be in... how are everyone’s cars coming along?
I might get late submission of the car as still struggling to get the full power from the car, and still struggling with some parts. Apparently I took more demanding approach than I thought at the beginning, but I see huge potential in many areas. Yet many solutions bring more surprises than actual direction for development. This race for sure will be next part of learning and getting along with this car aero.
MVRC - WBRacing

etsmc

machin wrote:
I have just spent a little bit of time and I think I have found the hole in my car so just setup a quick case to run through to see if it fixed it :? (this is the first simulation i have ever run the car through)
Fingers crossed its good and i get it submitted in time [-o<

LVDH

etsmc wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 14:30
machin wrote:
I have just spent a little bit of time and I think I have found the hole in my car so just setup a quick case to run through to see if it fixed it :? (this is the first simulation i have ever run the car through)
When looking at your last car, I found multiple holes. Newer OF plus versions have a tool to detect these holes. We have a few more Linux users signed up this year, if you like, I could create a tutorial on how to use it.

etsmc

LVDH wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 15:15
etsmc wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 14:30
machin wrote:
When looking at your last car, I found multiple holes. Newer OF plus versions have a tool to detect these holes. We have a few more Linux users signed up this year, if you like, I could create a tutorial on how to use it.
Well computer decided to restart during the simulation and its late here on the other side of the world, So think i will submit it and hope for the best.. (dont wast time trying to fix it if there are still holes.)

A tutorial would be good but unfortunately I am running windows. Not sure whats going on with it. :roll:

machin

wb92 wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 13:09
still struggling to get the full power from the car, and still struggling with some parts.
I decided to just open up the intake a lot; by the looks of it I probably now have somewhere near twice the opening size in my sidepod that you had for the first race... if that doesn’t solve it the next thing will be to shorten the sidepods as the outlets are probably now the most restrictive part...

I am wondering what Variante’s sidepods will look like this race... and did anyone else decide to try something similar...?

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 17:50
wb92 wrote:
still struggling to get the full power from the car, and still struggling with some parts.
I decided to just open up the intake a lot; by the looks of it I probably now have somewhere near twice the opening size in my sidepod that you had for the first race... if that doesn’t solve it the next thing will be to shorten the sidepods as the outlets are probably now the most restrictive part...

I am wondering what Variante’s sidepods will look like this race... and did anyone else decide to try something similar...?
I submitted the car yesterday but I am not happy about the cooling. I will run another simulation tonight: 3,0 m^3/s will be a difficult goal to achieve.

wb92

machin wrote:
wb92 wrote:

Shortening sidepods will end up with cooling like mine and variante in Spa - I can guarantee that, so it's not a good idea.

I also opened sidepods much more, plus hope for tonight all-in call :)
MVRC - WBRacing

machin

The Team Koldskaal solution with the fully louvred sidepod downstream of the heat exchanger is an interesting one.... and he achieved the full flow rate... maybe something to bear in mind if we’re still getting problems next time...

Pure Power also got the 3m^3/sec, his solution used really big intake openings....

Thomas2019

I had only today had the time to look into why my CFD results are so different to the official results. Its the mesh.
So, I will put some effort into a new car tonight. If that doesn´t help, I will just run the old car again.

wb92

machin wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 20:26
The Team Koldskaal solution with the fully louvred sidepod downstream of the heat exchanger is an interesting one.... and he achieved the full flow rate... maybe something to bear in mind if we’re still getting problems next time...

Pure Power also got the 3m^3/sec, his solution used really big intake openings....
Yes indeed, so louvres, louvres everywhere ^^
Pure Power has also additional opening in the sidepod, just behind the chimney. Clever.
MVRC - WBRacing

variante

machin wrote:
Much more conservative, i fear. Maybe i'll give another chance to the extreme sidepods in the future, but for the moment i have to play safe(er).

Right now i have this:
It's not been an easy development and it's not over yet, so i won't make any prediction...this race might be a good one as much as a bad one.

BTW short sidepods are not inherently bad. They can actually perform extremely well. But sure they are tricky, as they don't take advantage of the low pressure area under the Rear Wing and, instead, might be blocked by the choke point around the CokeBottle area. They might also generate too much upwash, with bad consequences for the Rear Wing.

Thomas2019

Last minute attempts to create a new car, after I figured out today, why my CFD results were so different to the official results. (the mesh).
Trying something new for cooling.