[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

I just had a discussion with one of you having possible issues meeting the cooling target.
I would like to remind everyone of this here:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/porous-media-openfoam/

CAEdevice

Hi, I would have expected that the "step" could be tapered, at least near the diffuser.

F1 rules require the step to be 300mm wide, allowing a max 500mm width, usually in the middle region.

(the skid block looks like have a chamfer near the diffuser)

The rules are the same for everyone, so no problem to keep things as they are, but I think that (also considering the ground distance that is quite generous) we will have lower downforce than F1.

wb92

Hi Everyone,

I would like to make some questions (sorry for noob ones), as it's first time for me to get into such competition.

I've registered yesterday to the competition, but I haven't received any information about car submission for the first race yet. So how many days left for it? I know race itself is on 18th of August. Is there any way to submit the car through the challenge website?

For the software - where can I find installation manual for windows10?

I think there's small mistake in legality boxes, as bargeboard volume is not touching chassis volume - is it right?

My initial car design is almost done, but depends on timing how many details I could include there until 1st race.
Aaaand of course depends on colorful pictures :)

Cheers!
MVRC - WBRacing

machin

Hi, I would have expected...
I refer you to:-
machin wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 14:12
Please bear in mind that we didn't intend on matching the FIA rules 100%
:D :D :D

Luckily for you guys Andre didn't approve of my rule: "14.1 Anyone complaining about the rules on a public forum will be docked championship points" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But more seriously; yes there are some more constraints than F1 in some places, but also you have more freedoms in others: for example front and rear wing design and end plate design is more open, as are sidepods, floor edges and barge boards.... your aim is to make a better design within the rules than your fellow competitors. :)
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 14:12
Luckily for you guys Andre didn't approve of my rule: "14.1 Anyone complaining about the rules on a public forum will be docked championship points" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I agree, and I propose to include a new rule: "anyone complaining will have to pay a fine, the sum of all complaining will be the final prize" :)

Please tell me where to send the money... meanwhile I wonder wich is the reason of this simplification: it gives no advantages in CAD modeling, simulation or wording reduction.

Please, I am joking, I don't want to offend anyone, as always, it is some kind of game.

CAEdevice

wb92 wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 18:43
Hi Everyone,

I would like to make some questions (sorry for noob ones), as it's first time for me to get into such competition.

I've registered yesterday to the competition, but I haven't received any information about car submission for the first race yet. So how many days left for it? I know race itself is on 18th of August. Is there any way to submit the car through the challenge website?

I think there's small mistake in legality boxes, as bargeboard volume is not touching chassis volume - is it right?

My initial car design is almost done, but depends on timing how many details I could include there until 1st race.
Aaaand of course depends on colorful pictures :)

Cheers!
Welcome!!! Wich is the name of your team?

MFlow does not need to be installed, just launch the exe. On the contrary, you need to install Open Foam. If you use Windows10 you need blue cfd CFD 2017 porting (but it is better to ask LDVH).

About the design: keep it simple.
These are priorities:

1) To design a rule compliant car
2) To avoid flow separation on the wings
3) To have a good diffuser

I don't what will happen with cooling, I am having troubles about it. 2 m3/s (total) would be a good result at the moment.

wb92

Ah I forgot to introduce the name of my team: WBRacing.

Any help how to get it on Win10 would be nice, in the end I could run it through linux virtual machine, couldn't I?
About the design: keep it simple.
That's relative, I'm trying as time is short.
1) To design a rule compliant car
That's obvious :)
2) To avoid flow separation on the wings
I really hope for that in first shot.
3) To have a good diffuser
:twisted:

Would it be also possible to get pre-scrutineering for rookie team?
MVRC - WBRacing

machin

wb92 wrote:
It seems that FreeCAD sometimes doesn't like it when two surfaces are meant to be coincident... we noticed this in a couple of other areas too... there will be no penalties for joining the barge board to the chassis in this area.

machin

I've made up a simple set of barge boards. Again, these are not CFD tested, they can just be used as a starting point for easy modification to the shape you desire.

Download here:-

CCE Barge Boards

LVDH

wb92 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

The email was sent out last Sunday, so you missed it. I will send it to you manually. There is also always another email one day before the race. This is intended to scare you about the deadline and also contains the relevant links.

wb92 wrote:
Have a look at these instructions: https://mantiumflow.com/installation/
I will check if this disappeared from the readme file, if so, I will fix that.

wb92 wrote:
I just checked, and think this small gap could have happened when we did an update on the safety cell volume. Like Richard said, just ignore it. For the next race we will fix it.

LVDH

Hi guys,
I just realized that I made a funny mistake. The race submission deadline is not the coming Sunday. It is on the 18th, just like the calendar on the challenge page and the date in the email suggest. So we have even more than a week to go. When I sent the email, I thought it was only one week to go, hopefully only I was confused. In any way the submission deadline is the 18.08.2019.

We already have a great number of teams, that have signed up and all of the big ones are in now, so it will for sure deserve the name "Challenge" once more.

rjsa

Hi there, mflow is culling geomery:
"current file name: Z_Suspension_frt_V01.stl
current file name: Z_Suspension_rr_V01.stl
current file name: Z_Wheels_frt_V01.stl
current file name: Z_Wheels_rr_V01.stl
The demo version of MantiumFlow only accepts a maximum of 30 stl files!
Everything above that will not be used for this simulation."

CAEdevice

30 parts are so many. Did you tried to join some solids into one?

rjsa

I'm using the suplied parts on STL format. Which start on 80mb BTW.

CAEdevice

You could join, mirrors, engine, gearbox, airscope template, inner safety cell to your car body (maybe also suspensions).