Books/papers on gokart vehicle dynamics

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
browney

Books/papers on gokart vehicle dynamics

Hi,
Is anyone aware of any good engineering books /articles with information about gokart dynamics?

I have a decent library for cars but haven't been able to find much for gokarts.

Thanks!

silente

Re: Books/papers on gokart vehicle dynamics

Some years ago a group belonging to a University did some interesting work about karts.

Search for Tor Vergata Karting. They did several papers about different topics, from chassis, to tires etc.

browney

Thanks,
Searching for that gave me some further references to more papers.

I was hoping that there was a book written about it, but I haven't really been able to find much.

RR98ITR

There's a Ukrainian guy that wrote a mathematically oriented kart chassis book that's available in an English translation via his website as of several years ago (the links I had are dead now) - I know that's not much of a lead but it's something. I never ordered the book, but presumed that it quantified and weighted the tuning parameters - like how much front width is functionally equivalent to how much front caster qualified by frame stiffness, or how to trade front end geometry against rear axle width, etc - if the guy was a maniac he might have punched thru alot of erroneous karting folklore. BUT, with enough time and quality thinking you can figure out how a kart works, and how it works consistent with the same physics that govern larger suspended 4 wheel vehicles, and how to adjust it well enough to get the driver into range to do their part of the job. Karts, low powered ones especially, cannot be driven like cars with short radius rotation and "flat car" on the way out of the corner. You have to drive them like a novice that's just barely comprehended and fixated on the fixed radius geometric line - you Have to keep the inside rear up/unloaded "for as much of the corner as you can", and you trade some trailing brake on entry for scrub from the inside fronts drag vector which is more helpful nearer the apex than the outside rears braking vector - the last increments of speed are in corner entry. At least that's what I think after beating my head against the wall for 5 years (coming to karts FROM cars and front wheel drive cars at that).