My F1 car - LegendaryM

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LegendaryM

Re: My F1 car - LegendaryM

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B05 ... m&hl=en_GB

you need to download it to view it in 3d
MRVC: Tolo Racing

wrcsti
wrcsti

You should change your sidepods to have higher rears. The current ones look like they could cause some lift.

LegendaryM

Some updates:
A completely new upper deck on the front wing:
it is designed to produce more downforce and to create a greater area of low pressure near the endplates, to further help in directing air from the upper surface of the main plane through the endplates and around the outside of the front wheels

A brand new engine cover, the previous one was more of an interim solution. Also I have changed the rear wing to have 2 support pillars instead of one central one.

LegendaryM

not an update, just something which has been on the car for a while but because of its position is very hard to see in full detail:

The beam wing (the lower rear wing element) on my car has a blown slot fed from both the central 150mm and outside the endplates. As only 1 cross section is normally allowed here, blowing allows the wing to be put at a much higher angle of attack, helping the diffuser

WorboysGP
WorboysGP

LegendaryM, this car is outstanding. I run a FOG Formula 1 Team on Piczo (www.f1game.piczo.com) my website is (www.wmotorsport.piczo.com) im looking for a 3D CAD designer for my race team and i think you will be perfect.

all you have to do i come up with ideas put them into a 3D CAD model and then send it to me while i make a similer idea with the FOG Rule Template. Any Questions please email me at WorboysF1@hotmail.com.

Thanks,

LegendaryM

Huge update.

Brand new front wing, everything is new, comapre it to the old one at a similar angle:

I've added R30 style floor vanes and F10 style turning vanes

more complex floor around rear wheels

a revised diffuser with a TF109 central 75mm

A brand new rear end, as this is a 2011 car and f-ducts are banned for 2011, i have desinged a new blown rear wing, a new blown beam wing, a swan neck mount and a new engine cover and cooling outlet to work with the new airbox, witch is similar to the WO1
Last edited by LegendaryM on 23 May 2010, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

LegendaryM

wesley123
wesley123

Lovely upgrade mate, i am certainly gonna get some inspiration by this!

Thoguh(as always) I have a few ideas. In front of the diffuser most teams add an hole, to seal the rear wheel. Might check it out, i am going to implement such an idea, also what i have on my car(and what i will retain for 2011) is the part in front of the rear wheels, it is similair to you flick up, but it is multiple parts, bent up to the end thus allowing more 'regular' air in fornt of it. Also i am going to add such an duct in front of the flip ups and i will use it on other parts too, just to draw air udner the floor.

Also i am thinking of an way to actually still be able to use some sort of double decker, but i didnt came up yet with an idea.

Really Great upgrade!
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

hopless17

AMAZING CAR WOULD YOU U LIKE TO TEACH ME HOW TO DESIGN A GREAT CAR LIKE THAT IVE TRIED TO DESIGN ONE CAR BUT I DIDN4T FINISH IT PLEASE HELP ME

raceman

@LegendaryM

since you started posting your car designs, I started to hate and envy you! :mrgreen:

very good car you have designed mate, gr8 work. =D>

LegendaryM

wesley123 wrote:Lovely upgrade mate, i am certainly gonna get some inspiration by this!

Thoguh(as always) I have a few ideas. In front of the diffuser most teams add an hole, to seal the rear wheel. Might check it out, i am going to implement such an idea, also what i have on my car(and what i will retain for 2011) is the part in front of the rear wheels, it is similair to you flick up, but it is multiple parts, bent up to the end thus allowing more 'regular' air in fornt of it. Also i am going to add such an duct in front of the flip ups and i will use it on other parts too, just to draw air udner the floor.

Also i am thinking of an way to actually still be able to use some sort of double decker, but i didnt came up yet with an idea.

Really Great upgrade!
I planned to add one, and here it is:
I've also moved the exhaust to the side so that some of the hot gases go through the hole and under the floor.

I have also designed a new diffuser (this one doesnt have the endplates coming down to the floor like the rb5) to work better with the floor cutouts

I have had to remove the shark fin as according to autosport shark fins connecting to the rear wings are being banned for 2011

Also, i have gone back to more conventional front wing pylons as the previous splayed design was illegal. I have also increased the angle of attack of the front wing.

Joao
Joao

LegendaryM wrote:Image
Howdy!
I and a few friends of mine, are planning to actually build an F1 car.
We do not have the money to use carbon fibber...
But yet again, we plan to use fiber glass arround a frame chassis.
We plan to use rapid prototyping to build most of the parts.
And i was wondering if you authorized us to build one of your cars....
We needed you to provide us with a few sections... more like slices in order to build the mould...

By the way, good job.

LegendaryM

Joao wrote: Howdy!
I and a few friends of mine, are planning to actually build an F1 car.
We do not have the money to use carbon fibber...
But yet again, we plan to use fiber glass arround a frame chassis.
We plan to use rapid prototyping to build most of the parts.
And i was wondering if you authorized us to build one of your cars....
We needed you to provide us with a few sections... more like slices in order to build the mould...

By the way, good job.
I'd be happy to send you the 3d model of the car. What format would you prefer?

An update:
1. A new cascade element, which bends down to direct air away from the front wheels, similar to mclaren's second endplate.
2. the camera housings have been moved to behind the front wing supports.
3. I have added a shield infront of the front wheel rim, similar to the F10
4. I have added mercedes style vanes
5. I have added an airbox winglet, which can be quite large due to the thin rollover structure
6. I have added a fence along the side of the floor to reduce the amount of air going from the top to under the floor.
7. I have tightened the rear bodywork
8. I have added an exhaust blown diffuser by moving the exhausts backwards and adding some vanes. Here is a better picutre (i have hidden the rear wing and rear suspension

wesley123
wesley123

wow, as always an lovely update mate!

Though i can say that 6 wont work, with your idea of air flowing to the underbody, this simply creates an much less effective underbody which is much more sensitive to crosswinds and pitch/yaw.

Let me explain, you have winds from the side(like in silverstone for example), alot of this that would go over the floor would now flow under that, you create effectively flow that is in an way other direction then you want to have it, flow that goes down the length of the car. What this does is simply jsut choke the underbody and stall the diffuser, which is completely not what you want.

Overall, with your new update the car is simply impressive, i was having the same idea with the rear diffuser, by creating such an part you can create an bigger low pressure zone allowing beter evacuation of underbody air.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

LegendaryM

wesley123 wrote:wow, as always an lovely update mate!

Though i can say that 6 wont work, with your idea of air flowing to the underbody, this simply creates an much less effective underbody which is much more sensitive to crosswinds and pitch/yaw.
yeah i see.