My F1 car - LegendaryM

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
fabio999

Re: My F1 car

What I can understand from your answer is that you are interested in some CFD calculations, aren't you?!?! :)

Regarding the format...what CAD software did you use to build it? I would like to have the geometry in an IGES format or in a PARASOLID format!Is that possible for you?!?

Let me know how you want to set up this "process"!!if you could I would prefer if you can write me directly to my e-mail: fabio.pengue@libero.it

I'm looking forward to hear some news from you.

Cheers,
Fabio

machin

Legendary M: How have you made your radiators? Are they solid (like mine)? If so it'll really screw up the flow around the sidepods in any CFD analysis as all the air from here will have to find its way around the pods rather than through them... the result will be a lot more drag and potentially more downforce from the part of floor infront of the pods due to high pressure here... I can't get to my other computer to look at converting my model until after the weekend, so it'll be interesting to see what these guys can do with the CFD analysis on your car.

(BTW your driver's head support is illegal; it needs to be chopped away to give the driver peripheral vision.... notice how yours has a smooth transition.. it should be quite bluff at the front). See diagram on page 59 of the 2009 rules.

Nice Model though! It looks like you've put in way more effort than me.. nice job! I knocked mine up in a few days!

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

LegendaryM

machin wrote:Legendary M: How have you made your radiators? Are they solid (like mine)? If so it'll really screw up the flow around the sidepods in any CFD analysis as all the air from here will have to find its way around the pods rather than through them... the result will be a lot more drag and potentially more downforce from the part of floor infront of the pods due to high pressure here... I can't get to my other computer to look at converting my model until after the weekend, so it'll be interesting to see what these guys can do with the CFD analysis on your car.

(BTW your driver's head support is illegal; it needs to be chopped away to give the driver peripheral vision.... notice how yours has a smooth transition.. it should be quite bluff at the front). See diagram on page 59 of the 2009 rules.

Nice Model though! It looks like you've put in way more effort than me.. nice job! I knocked mine up in a few days!

I think in cfd you can set certain surfaces to be outlets, so even though we haven't modelled the internal flow the simulation can be reasonably accurate. Also I have changed the model so the head support is now legal, thanks for pointing that out
MRVC: Tolo Racing

fabio999

Hey legendary M....what about the model?!?i would like to see it...to start thinking about how to mesh it!!and then to talk with you about what simulations we want to run!! ;)

Let me know something then!! :)

Regards,
Fabio

LegendaryM

fabio999 wrote:Hey legendary M....what about the model?!?i would like to see it...to start thinking about how to mesh it!!and then to talk with you about what simulations we want to run!! ;)

Let me know something then!! :)

Regards,
Fabio
If you want you can look at the model in 3d in a browser here:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/aghfbc3/n/DR09B_exe
I'm just making some changes to the front wing endplate at the moment, when I'm done I'll send you the parasolid file

wesley123

Maybe around the headrest you can give those sides an vertical wing shape, just like red bull dis last year, then you undercut the insides for more efficient flow to the rear wing.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

machin

wesley123 wrote:Maybe around the headrest you can give those sides an vertical wing shape, just like red bull dis last year, then you undercut the insides for more efficient flow to the rear wing.
The head rest area is quite highly prescribed within the rules this year. Undercuts as you describe (as featured on the Redbull last year) aren't allowed.....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

PlatinumZealot

=D>
I really want to see how the tests turn out.
Where do you guys get all the rules pertaining to the dimensions?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

thanks
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ESPImperium

What i was thinking about the head rest is a wing shape on its leading edge that pushes the air up and puts more air onto the rear wing producing more downforce. With the little mid flip up, im shure this could produce alot more downforce from the rear wing, posibly arround 1% to 2% more from it alone.

Like this:

Red lines are new aero, green are projected air flow direction id like to get.

Another idea i though about was, putting the TV camereas on the nose and the air box sides at a certain pitch thats advantagous to aero, say a 40 degree pitch to either give better aero efficency or generate altho small, some ammount of downforce. Allowing FOM only to use the T cam on the top of the air box for your car. Is that legal???

LegendaryM

Updates:
New front wing endplates;

Turning Vanes;

Vortex Generator and Fence on the floor;

Updated Head Support;

Slightly revised diffuser;

ESPImperium

Could you put your mirrors in with the sidepod flip-ups/turning vaynes???

May free up some less turbulant air from the mirror supports.

PNSD

How about a vertical fence on the underside of the front wing...

Now i think all teams have at least one...

Looks fantastic!! During summer I hope to have the time to do a similar project.

I am not yet savvy enough with any modelling programs to do a full F1 car, but I will sure be learning! A great inspiration!

gridwalker

ESPImperium wrote:Another idea i though about was, putting the TV camereas on the nose and the air box sides at a certain pitch thats advantagous to aero, say a 40 degree pitch to either give better aero efficency or generate altho small, some ammount of downforce. Allowing FOM only to use the T cam on the top of the air box for your car. Is that legal???
I believe TV cameras need to be aerodynamically neutral.

Regs regarding car mounted cameras follow :
ARTICLE 20 : TELEVISION CAMERAS AND TIMING TRANSPONDERS
20.1 Presence of cameras and camera housings :
All cars must be fitted with either two cameras, two camera housings or one of each at all times throughout
the Event.
20.2 Location of camera housings :
Camera housings, when used, must be fitted in the same location as cameras. Details concerning the size
and weight of all camera housings may be found in the Appendix to these regulations.
20.3 Location and fitting of camera equipment :
20.3.1 All cars must be equipped with six positions in which cameras or camera housings can be fitted. Referring
to Drawing 6, all cars must carry a camera or camera housing in position 4, the position of the remaining
camera or camera housing will be determined by the FIA after consultation with the relevant Competitor.
Once positions are determined in the above manner, any decision as to whether a camera or camera
housing is fitted in those positions will rest solely with the relevant Competitor.
20.3.2 Any camera or dummy camera fitted in positions 1, 2 or 3 shown in Drawing 6 must be mounted in order
that its major axis does not subtend an angle greater than 5° to the reference plane
The FIA mandate the mounting positions and the maximum angle of attack, so you're highly restricted on that front I'm afraid.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."